Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#64845 by skyn3t Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 am
Just to spread the word, a guy with the email: [email protected] seems to be sending out scam emails on auto trader with the following.

Thanks for the email, do let me know how much you are willing to sell
to me and you need to assure that it is in perfect condition and i
would love to see more pictures if you have. I will be paying with my
paypal account which is the safest online payment mode. So please do
reply me asap with your paypal account or send me a payment request
from your paypal account so i can effect payment to you rightaway. You
can easily open an account with paypal if you don't have one at
www.paypal.co.uk. its safe, simple and reliable also do get back to me
so we can arrange for pick up as i will like it to be picked by my
pick up agent, so no shipping included. I await your reply. Hope to
hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Most likely a paypal scam. I think the paypal link within the email is a fake.

Keep safe.
Advertisement

#64859 by Katharina Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:37 am
Welcome skyn3t. Thank you for this report.

It it always a good idea to mistrust links the scammers send you. However, in your case the scammer is piggybacking on PayPal to convince you of his honesty.
Later in the scam, you would receive an email supposedly from PayPal, but this time, it would be fake. The scammer would tell you a lie about his payment "being held in escrow by PayPal" - a service PayPal does not offer. And then on with a cock-and-bull story about an overpayment you are supposed to send to a fake shipping agency, of course with MoneyGram or Western Union.
#68720 by podwin Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:19 pm
I got one too, on 27/09/11, from ol' Dominic Purseel [[email protected]]

Thanks for the email, do let me know how much you are willing to sell to me and you need to assure that it is in perfect condition and i would love to see more pictures if you have. I will be paying with my paypal account which is the safest online payment mode. So please do reply me asap with your paypal account or send me a payment request from your paypal account so i can effect payment to you rightaway. You can easily open an account with paypal if you don't have one at www.paypal.co.uk. its safe, simple and reliable also do get back to me so we can arrange for pick up as i will like it to be picked by my pick up agent, so no shipping included. I await your reply. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.
#68772 by Bubbles Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 am
Welcome to ScamWarners podwin. Scammers spread as wide of a path as they possibly can in hopes of making as many victims as possible. Thank you for being part of our effort.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#68888 by julsruls Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:01 pm
Well well, thought this was a scam and after googling it I see it is. This Dominic Purceel, aka Dominic Purseel <[email protected]>; has been trying to convince me that he is good for the money because he uses paypal. It "looks" as if theres a payment "pending" however there is not. If you arent convinced after his first 6 emails then he sends you a "fake" email" from what looks to be PayPal ... but its not!! ... it looks like this>>>>

(they even attach a picture taken from paypal site - its fake 2)
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:33 PM
Subject: Money Guaranteed Transfer Funds Immediately
Dear [email protected],

Be aware that you are 100% safe with PayPal and you do not need to worry about anything concerning this transaction as we are currently holding the money which is $2,300.00 USD therefore you should make proper arrangements with the buyer on how to get the $800.00 USD sent to the address given to you so that we could be able to credit your account after you have sent us a copy of the WESTERN UNION details given to you at the post office where you sent the money.
We will only credit your account as soon as the money has been sent to the bearer and you send the WESTERN UNION receipt to PayPal for confirmation.
The transaction has been screened and has proven to be 100% legal and real. You are hereby advised to go ahead with the transaction and send out the $800.00 USD to the bearer before we are able to credit your account, For security reasons email the WESTERN UNION payment receipt to PayPal only and wait till your account is being credited before emailing the receipt to the buyer.
Thank You
PayPal Team.

I suggest using this >>> PayPal has a securing download that will show u a gold lock if in fact it came from them. His first mistake was that he tried 2 fool me, second was he sent it to the wrong email .. lol .. my email on file with PayPal is NOT the same as the one on the ad. What a desperate person this person is (LOSER as well). I will do all I can to assist in stopping these foolish frauds and scams, its sinful!!! Im more than pissed, Im trying to sell a nice bedset on craigslist- not a car or something big, they have no soul or conscious I guess as they are stoopin pretty low to get what they want.

J Adams
Glendale, AZ