Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#122373 by MoonlitMechanic Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm
Just joined the site after I saw this same scam that just found it's way to me.

Via Text Message, phone number 516-522-0692
Name: Engr. Pavel Robert
Agent Name: Breanna Green

"Thanks for the swift reply and will like to purchase it. Can I pay you $7,500 for it? i will be paying you with PayPal because it's attached to my bank account,If my offer is accepted send me your paypal email address so i can pay in right away, you can set up an account at paypal.com it is easy and very secure."

"I am a marine engineer on a rig offshore and do not have much time on me.Make sure you get back to me so that i can arrange for pick up."

Reply: I will need to meet with someone in person, even if you just wire them the money and have them come to me. Otherwise sounds like a scam

"Scam???? But i think my previous message tells you that am on the sea at the Gulf Coast rig and the only payent i can do right here and right now is paypal.

Thanks."

They also would not make phone calls and needed a Western Union Wire Transfer to their agent.

I won't go into the full thing, because this guy always sends text messages 3 sms texts long. I knew I smelled scam, but after being up very late last night, I accidentally slipped out my paypal email address.
Last edited by Bubbles on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
Advertisement

#122429 by Bubbles Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 am
Welcome to ScamWarners MoonlitMechanic, it is great you recognized that it was a scam. What will happen is you will get an email which appears to be from PayPal which will indicate that the money is pending you sending the item. It is a spoofed email and not actually from PayPal.

Just ignore it. Some times the scammer will send threatening emails to you, but they will not go to the authorities because they are in the wrong.

Please post up the email address you received this message from. Potential victims often search by email address to see if they are dealing with a scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#122491 by Cornholio Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:02 am
I was trying to sell my car on a Dutch website, autotrack.nl

I received an email from 'John Rene', looks like scam to me :)
[email protected]

First email:
Hello, Is vehicle still available for sale and what is the final price. Send me some pictures Regards John

My response:
Hi John,

Car is still available for sale, but I only sell it to buyers who live in the Netherlands (when you are in the Netherlands, no problem ;))
the price is still 4000 euros, I would like to know if there are any other interested parties.
I havent got any other pictures yet, If still interested, I can make them for you.

regards,

His answer:
Hi thanks for mailing back, Am ok with the price and the condition of the car and does the car have any history I should be aware of? And why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I am buying the car for my family especially my son who will be graduating from university; the car is going to be shipped to my home. I want it to be a perfect surprise gift for them as my family love surprises so much; he is so much of an enthusiast. Am a project engineer on offshore won't be able to come for the inspection of the car personally due to the nature of my work and would have love to call but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition only e-mail is accessible.

I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and deliver it to my home. I will be paying you through PayPal, please get back to me with your PayPal details so I can proceed with the payment and contact the freighters agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place. Kindly send me your PayPal email address so that I can transfer the money in, I insisted on PayPal because I don't have access to my bank account online as I don't have internet banking but my bank account is attached to my PayPal.

I’ll also want you to take off advertisement to be sure you are selling the item to me and I will really appreciate if you can email more information and the final price and where is the car located at the moment?

Await your reply.
J.Rene

I think I'm going to send the URL of this topic as a reply :)
#122533 by Dotti Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 am
Please don't do that.

When you point out to a scammer that he is listed on an anti-scam site, you encourage him to change his details for the next scam, and reduce the chances that the next potential victim will learn of the scam by searching his name, emails, or script, because the new information won't be posted.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#123305 by JohnnyV1 Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm
Just wanted to give my experience since I think its kinda of funny. A person with the email [email protected] contacted me about buying my car through craigslist.

Great. Here's my PayPal account email: [email protected] If this guy still replies then he is really stupid.

Am still interested...So,let me make the payment and i will repair it myself..

Awesome. Oops I just got into an accident right now while I was typing this email so I need to get to a body shop really quick. Nothing major, maybe just some minor frame damage. I'll contact you later when it gets fixed.

In the meantime I attached the repair-estimate so you can look it over and decide if you still want to buy the car. repair estimate is actually a pdf with a picture of a guy with middle finger extended

Best of luck!
Vinu

Ok i agree to pay the amount $16500....I am a Chief Engineer on the sea and i am so busy as we are on assignment here and i need to get this for my Dad asap.I have a pickup agent that will come and pick the truck up in your resident or anywhere you want the pickup agent to come and pick it.. Due to where i am right now , i can only make payment through paypal , do you have a paypal account?if not you can open one at http://www.paypal.com

Thanks
Mike

Sorry but $16,500 is the price. It does leak about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I hope that's ok??? Car does not really leak oil but by this time I knew this was a scam so why not have some fun

I would like you to know that i am really interested in buying the item,I am
willing to offer you $16,300 for it,However, I will not be able to come for inspection, all i need is your word
of sincerity that the item is in good condition as described online please let me know if you accept my offer

yes. They usually always start off like this.

Hello ,
Please i would like to know if this item is still for available for sale.

Thanks
#123442 by Siscostu Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm
JohnnyV1 : You rock!!!!

Just got the same kind of E-Mail:
Hi thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition our satellite server has been down.
i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the
courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.

The scammer's"name" is Peter Davidson : [email protected]

Thanks Scam Warners!!!
#123541 by BIG_DAN63258 Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 pm
Just got this email today and almost got caught i called paypal and she told me to make sure it wasn't a spam luckely for me a did my homework !!!

Hi thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition our satellite server has been down.
i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the

courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.
#123542 by Bryon Williams Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners BIG_DAN63258,

The paypal payment would have been fake from a fake paypal email address. No money would have been transferred into your Paypal account. The fake Paypal email is believable with phony screenshots. The best way to verify funds in you paypal account is to log in directly without any links.

This scammer was hoping you would not verify his lies. He would later send email from the fake paypal address telling you the funds are on hold until you ship the item and send him a tracking number.

Paypal hold is a lie. And he is setting you up for future western union payments to him / shipping agent. He want your item and / or money.

Please note: You may receive more scam inquiries. The scammer will have the same basic tactic. Instead he wants to send you a fake check or Money Order.

Please post all the email addresses used by this scammer.
It would also warn possible future victims when they search email addresses.

Thanks
Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#125390 by s2k05 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm
I got this tonight, although it is a bit different. The same principle applies.

After she asked if the truck was still for sale, and why I was selling it. This came back. I knew from the weird words mixed in with the email. As well as the semi-formal nature of the discussion. It was way to good to be true. She didn't ask to come test drive it, how we could work out the title issues. Etc.

The email came from [email protected]

Thanks for your prompt e-mail,i want you to get back to me with more
picture and is there any other issues with it not mentioned?.Am
satisfied with your advert price,as am requesting this transaction
should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me,If my offer
is accepted send me your PayPal email and your name including your
phone# or send me money request so i can pay you right away.I am busy
at work and do not have much time around me, but no worries as i am
willing to handle the pickup of this merchandise through my legitimate
mover agent cause i will like it to be picked at your residence
location,Make sure you get back to me immediately, So no Shipping

Regards
#125884 by Just curious Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Posted my ad in AutoTrader and got a txt msg in my cel from [email protected] to email him the details from the vehicle if it was still for sale. The number the message came fom was 1-405-310-8264. I sent him an email but I had this strange feeling so I googled the number to locate it, and it sent me to an italian webpage (???) so I then looked up the email address given and sure enough I found it in Scam Warners. Here's the message I got back on my email, exactly the same that the ones you have published before:

Hi mate thanks for mailing back, i will like to come for the inspection in person but due to the nature of my job as a supervisor on the oil rig because i am working with Gulfport Energy Cooperation so i can't come as am off shore right now, so am okay with the price and the condition,because i am buying it for my vacation and i will be coming home very soon i would have love to call in person but we have a bad weather condition our satellite server is not stable. So i will be paying you through PayPal,kindly get back to me with your PayPal details and more pictures so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place at Oklahoma. And i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://WWW.PayPal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through, and the agent will come for the vehicle pick up and signing of all necessary documents after i have made the payments.
Await your reply.

James Palm..
[quote][/quote]

So, definitely BEWARE when you get a strange message like this. I would just love to send him the Paypal email address that Vinu sent before... LOL!!! :laugh-s:
#126010 by Goodfella Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:27 pm
After reading previous posts i came to the conclusion this is a scam. Same thing started with a txt from a US area code ( 1 (678) 390-3834), then an email and pretty much the rest is the same as everyone else, here is the email convo:

Sent: September-21-12 6:14:35 PM
To: Goodfella

thanks,i really appreciate your quick response over my request,i think the price is
negotiable as i will like to offer you $14,000 for the price as you have stated just
because ive so much interest in the car,so if any one make an offer just tell him
that the car has been sold.And I would have come for an inspection..but due to the
nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very
busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone
through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.
As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay
online(PayPal).
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have
been made and he take up everything after payment have been make ...so no shipping
included.thanks for been kindness and considerate...await your response asap..

To: Scott Paul <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: 08 mazda 3 Kijiji add

The lowest price is $14,000
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

-----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:13:27
To: Goodfella

sorry seller you are the one that want too sell something for me so let me know the price you want to sell it for me

To: Scott Paul <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:01 PM

The price on the add is what I'm looking for , make me an offer and we can go from there

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Paul <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 02:24:54
To:Goodfella

Okay, i will like you to please mail me the condition and final or the lowest price you can sell off to me, so that i can make a reasonable offer.

ME: Goodfella
To: "[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> " <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> >
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:02 PM
Subject: 08 mazda 3 Kijiji add

Yes my car is for sale
#126116 by sally3 Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:28 am
A big thank you for this site :) I am now informed about paypal scams on used cars. Recent dealings with Sgt. Robin Shelley 23 Pioneer Regiment RLC [email protected]

http://www.trade-it.co.uk/cars-nissan-m ... 39008.html

..... "my presence isn't necessary(The car is at our Northwood Headquarters, Hertfordshire HA6). The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.
Here is what I suggest: we will use PayPal services, you'll make the payment in an PayPal managed account trust fund ( they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car ), I will send the car over( the car will be delivered with the owner's manual, service records, keys, and of course the bill of sale authorized and......."

I have informed trade it .co.uk of them. I am guessing the scumbags are overseas and are untouchable. Thanks again for info on this site.

Sally
#126142 by Pking Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 pm
I got a text from 1 (678) 390-3834 asking if my motorcycle was still for sale (had been on Kijiji for 10 minutes).
Asked me to email him only (I am long distance for him) at [email protected]...

I asked him to email the money, pretending not to have a PayPal a count. He stopped communicating. I knew from his first text it was a scam. And his English is poor....
#127238 by GFFABM Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 am
Hi guys, my brother in law got an email this morning (from address: [email protected]) from Kent Helmart (!) who is based in Calais and works as an engineer on ships apparently. The fine fellow is willing to transfer the entire monies by paypal and to arrange his own courier to pick up the car, which is very decent of him.

No thanks Kent.

:roll: