Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#71350 by Bubbles Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners utess1990. Please post up the email address you received this message from. Part of our goal is to provide as much information as possible for potential victims. Thank you.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
Advertisement

#71635 by TorontoGirl Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:59 am
I've been getting at least one scammer emailing me every day through Autotrader.ca claiming they want to buy my car and must pay with Paypal for various reasons. Generally, the first email from them says they want to buy it and I respond asking them when they want to see it. Below are the responses and email addresses they came from:

Jason Cotwell <[email protected]>
Thanks for getting back to me, can you assure me that it's in perfect condition and i will not be disappointed buying this from you. I'm ready to pay your asking price now but I'm not in state to complete the purchase myself, I'm offshore at work right now.
I just contacted an Agent that will help me handle the pick up and the title transfer, I cannot come for the pick up due to the nature of my work, but the agent will help me handle the pick up and also transfer the title when all the payment has been cleared because the all funds will be send to you via my VERIFIED PayPal account, I will need the address where the agent will meet you for the checking and for the pick up also. i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com

I will also like to see more pics, get back to me with your PayPal email address so i can send the money to you now, don't forget to get back to me with your phone number and your PayPal email address.

Mark Daniel <[email protected]>
Thanks for mailing back,i really appreciate it, am really interested in it.
i am buying this for my wife cause is our 1st yr anniversary,
unfortunately i won't be around to celebrate with her. i really want
this to be a surprise gift for my wife so i wont let her know anything
about this until it gets delivered to her , i am sure she will be more
than happy with it and i will appreciate it if you can send me more
pictures if you have cause due to the nature of my job,phone calls
making are restricted. I can't be able to come and view it and pay in
cash but i have contacted a pick up company and they will be coming to
pick it after i have paid for it,i can only pay through Paypal as i
don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet
banking,but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account and
this is why i insisted on paying you through PayPal,so kindly get back
to me with your full name and paypal email address so i can proceed
with the payment now, but if you don't have an account with them you
can set up a paypal account via http://www.paypal.com it very easy and fast,
it wont take you much time to do that,I will proceed with the payment
as soon as you send me your paypal email address and contact the pick
up agent to arrange a convenient pickup time with you,once payment has
been transferred and cashed and let me know your final selling price.

I believe i can trust you on this transaction cause i need a faithful
and loyal person to transact business with not fraudster.I hope to
read back from you soon.
Thanks,
Mark

Thomas John <[email protected]>
My responses are underlined. "Thomas" here gave his responses in stages to seem more realistic but if you put it all together it is the same long paragraph the others feed you
Dear Seller,
Am thomas,I saw your car on the add and i love it so much and want to
buy it from you for real so kindly tell me your last price maybe i can
still offer you some more. Awaiting for your good response....
Thomas.

To date, the best price a Buyer has offered is $X. You are welcome to see the car and give it a test drive.

Thanks for your interest..i am serious about this purchase I will
offer you $(X + Y) because of other potential buyers out there also.but
before i do that,i would love to know When last the car was serviced,
how long have you owned it?? I would love to be to know more about the
Present condition of the car and the car Service History..I will be
paying you through PayPal,which is a fast, safe and reliable method of
payment.. ..And i will take care of all Transportation Preparations
for the vehicle to my son..I really want it to be a surprise for son
so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to
him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it.
Please Advice.

Thanks for your response.. I will like to have your paypal email
address soon so i can proceed with the payment.. Thanks

I cannot accept payment for a car that you haven't seen. When would you like to see it?

i am not around to see the car for now .Thanks. I am right now in china for business trip. Thanks

okay. So do you have someone here that could come see the car and bring payment?

Thanks for your response.. I am sorry i am okay with the pics and no
one will be able to bring payment.. Thats why i insist on paypal only
for the transaction .. Thanks
#71716 by TorontoGirl Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 am
Here's another one...
Email headers are at the bottom

from Chris Swan [email protected]
subject Re: E-Mail SALES LEAD from Buysell.com!

Thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad weather our SATphone is currently scrambled please can i know the full condition of the car as am buying it for my wife who just gave birth to a baby boy in my absentia she lives in yukon,am a sailor and am currently onboard.

i want to be sure if the car is still in good condition , preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine inclusive), i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of the car.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day .i will pay with the fastest and safest online payment "PayPal" so i will need you to send me your paypal email address so i can effect the payment,as i have my Royal bank a/c attached to my paypal account. will be sending my shipping company to come and pick it up and make a personal delivery for my wife in yukon after have sorted out with the payment.

PS: In case you don't have a PayPal account,Its reliable fast,secure and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is to log on to visit http://www.paypal.comand register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can make the payment.Please get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the car to be picked by a pickup agent.Await your response.

Best Regards
Chris.

Received: from mr.google.com ([10.52.90.51])
by 10.52.90.51 with SMTP id bt19mr19787338vdb.34.1319342629358 (num_hops = 1);
Sat, 22 Oct 2011 21:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:content-type;
bh=sfbhBGO9LotxQnaAFYfaU0L4mF+RlcdKhrDEEjT9Gu0=;
b=Xrr9+gkhA0CJgbqzLl8+kAnszow/lRRhFKt4P+RYpEOoDDx949QSmBGgzxjfQLc6iS
ZUfhSGqehLaFPUGBAuUb9lGU9IdxsVeylMqFAfhvqz8qJgSGbv8bXRZRwE9ANRCw3xCZ
TAjHdG3FHTC2fT1akpodDq5T3a1oy0cclWdi8=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.52.90.51 with SMTP id bt19mr19787338vdb.34.1319342629355; Sat,
22 Oct 2011 21:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.52.182.72 with HTTP; Sat, 22 Oct 2011 21:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <CAHyYhwAKsH7AeabQ94wJ-AZteU8sZmHfgAfAfJwyANu9u+WG3w@mail.gmail.com>
References: <[email protected]>
<CAHyYhwAKsH7AeabQ94wJ-AZteU8sZmHfgAfAfJwyANu9u+WG3w@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 23:03:49 -0500
Message-ID: <CAArqL4H9npVSU_Dd_F7-Xi88TAitYkOLHo+PoS-_7S-6XZKm0Q@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: E-Mail SALES LEAD from Buysell.com!
#94863 by norahs77 Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:25 pm
So mine isn't an oil rigger (or maybe I should ask...) but lives offshore, wants to buy my car for his son's birthday this weekend because they're never around for him, wants to pay with Paypal - and the best bit - is willing to give me $100 more than what my dealer will sell it for in their yard after trade in which is $6000 more than Im asking!!!

Audrey Rose is my contact - email: '[email protected]'

I didnt even realise until my husband asked me to google any scams with Paypal....! What I would like to know is how they connected my selling of a vehicle to an email account of mine which is not registered with the website Im advertising on???

Oh well....!
#95259 by NoScam Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 am
Hi guys, I'm from Canada and I posted my car for sale on kijiji. I received a text message from phone number 571-305-2278, to inquire about my car. He wanted me to contact him via email: [email protected], to send him more pictures and to give him a price (everything was already up on the ad). I responded to his email to say that everything was already posted on the ad. Here is what he responded:

Thanks for the swift reply and will like to purchase it. Can i pay you $20,500 for it? i will be paying you with my PayPal because it's attached to my bank account, If my offer is accepted send me your paypal email address so i can pay in right away,you can set up an account at http://www.paypal.com it is very easy and secure. I am a marine engineer on a rig offshore and do not have much time on me. Make sure you get back to me so that i can arrange for pick up as i will like the vehicle to be picked, so no shipping included. I await your reply

Mod edit: Changed font size and added quote tags. DJ
#97368 by preego Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:45 pm
Hi All,

Got also SMS from lindasmith, scammer is maybe using some online sms service, because there was no number.

Wanted to buy my car and asking details and price :)

Here's email after my reply:
Hello Friend,

I'm quite satisfied with the condition and price of 12,800€. I need to let you know that the shipping agent will be coming for the pick up as soon as the payment has been complete and approved by PayPal and the shipping agent will be the ones to help me handle all other necessary details to complete the deal when they get to your home address for the pick up.

So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and i hope you have a PayPal account for the payment and if NO i will like you to kindly log on to http://www.paypal.com and create an account, If you have one already, just send me the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it or you can send me a PayPal money request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company as soon as the Payment is completed.

I can't wait to hear from you..

Thanks and Best Regards.

Scammer is using [email protected] email.
#97440 by Jack-o Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:40 pm
Thanks for this site! I just posted my car on Autotrader two days ago and got an email from a Don Cox, Marine Engineer, wanting to buy my car through Paypal. The email address he is using: Don Cox [[email protected]].

His first message: "Good day Mate,i will like to know if the Car still available for sale? and i will like to know the final asking price of it..Your quick response will strongly appreciated. Cheers. "

The latest: "Thanks for the prompt response,the price is okay by me,I am ready to buying it now for Birthday gift for my Dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for Dad so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the car.
I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to WWW.PayPal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.
Cheers..."

The Paypal and gmail had me thinking and a little Google search to Scamwarners straightened things out.
#97612 by Reina Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:33 pm
Here's another one:

Name: Jeff Oswalt
Email: [email protected]

Hi ,

[email protected]
Message from [email protected]:

is it still available?...how many times as it changed hands?..is it in a good condition?...please get back to me asap!
thanks.

This e-mail has been sent to you on the behalf of [email protected].

Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price,I need you to
understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away and Please
note that i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement
anywhere in the world,she would be coming for the pickup,after you have
received payment,which would be through PayPal,If this is acceptable,advice
soon as i am a Sailor and i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I
can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i do not have access to my
bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is
why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your pay pal email
address to make the payment and some pictures if you do not have a PayPal
account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at http://www.paypal.com,i will be
expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up
after payment has been sorted

I asked if there was a way the shipper/mover was able to give us a cahier's check/ money order / traveler's check.
Hi,
Well,I am sorry but the shipping agency doesn't pay for my
purchases,they only can pick and collect for me world wide and charge
me for it,its their company policy.
There is nothing wrong with paypal as it is a faster and even more
reliable means of payment world wide and I have made so many
transactions with paypal without a hick-up whatsoever.
Get back to me with your paypal details if you are still interested in
selling it cos I already told my son about it and he's so excited!
#98772 by dan_is_vayne Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:13 am
So glad that I decided to google this guys email address. As others have stated before I've posted my car onto gumtree and received a strange text, no number but his name already visible, just tried to attach photo from phone but it didn't work, here's the text anyway, from SEAY;

"I'm interested in your ride, how much are you willing to sell it get back to me at [email protected]"

I'm not going to bother with a reply, I assume I will get the same response as others on here!

Thanks for having this site up and running, saved me some bother!! :D

Thank you thank you.

Dan
#105583 by shawna4321 Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 pm
Hi thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am
buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as
am a petroleum project engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for
the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call
in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition
our satellite server has been down.
i will be paying you through PayPal,pls get back to me with your
PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the
courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.
Await your reply wow same email
#106396 by anakha Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 pm
I've had identical contacts regarding an on-site caravan. Even though it has been clearly identified as "on-site and permanent. These scammers are trying to use a shipping co to pick it up.
One name is;
[email protected]
I'll post the other 2 later.
David
#109979 by URBANKID Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:06 pm
CAR SCAM INTENT VIA PAY PAL.
TWO DAYS AGO I RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM [email protected] WHOSE FAKE NAME IS COLLIN SMITH, AND CLAIMS TO LIVE IN 23910 ERMINE DRIVE IN ASTOR, FLORIDA. I LIVE IN MEXICO AND THE EMAIL WAS WRITTEN IN UNCOMPREHENSIBLE SPANISH (PROBABLY DONE BY AN INTERNET TRANSLATOR). ON HIS FIRST EMAIL HE REQUESTED MORE INFORMATION AND PICTURES OF MY CAR (WHICH WERE ALREADY UP ON THE WEBSITE WHERE HE TOOK MY INFORMATION FROM); ON THE SECOND EMAIL HE CLAIMED TO BE PLEASED BY THE VEHICLES CONDITIONS (JUST BY LOOKING AT THE PICS), AND EXPRESSED HE WANTED TO PAY VIA PAYPAL AND THAT HIS AGENT WOULD CONTACT ME TO ARRANGE THE PICK UP, HE ALSO REQUESTED THE LOWEST PRICE I WOULD BE ABLE TO OFFER IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION AND MY ADDRESS. IT IS ALL A SCAM, BEWARE!!!
#110750 by thevdeub Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 am
kyle adams [email protected]
6:37 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that the vehicle is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad and he is a mechanic, but the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you