Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#66631 by Katharina Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:23 pm
A new member has submitted the progress of a very elaborate overpayment scam - thank you!

The scammer makes first contact:
De: Ayrton Dario [mailto:[email protected]] ?Enviada: segunda-feira, 12 de Setembro de 2011 10:30?Para: ?Assunto: RE: BIKE YAMAHA XVS 950A MIDNIGHT STAR

I'm interested in the purchase and i would like to get it as soon as i can but how long have you owned it and when last was it checked for faults and is there any visible dent/scratch on the body? and what is your best price for it ? and also i would handle the preparation of transportation to my home in Malaysia and i would be paying through PayPal as that is the fastest,safest and easiest way i can use my credit card online.And if possible can you send me some recent pics of the bike? Respond to me soon.. A Dario

The scammer introduces his fake PayPal account and a fake shipping company:
I'm satisfied with the condition and price and also i will be paying the PayPal charges (3.9%) directly from my account. So you should send me your paypal email address if you have an account already, which is the email address you used in registeration or you can send me a paypal money request, so that i can proceed with the transfer. Once i complete the transfer i would contact my shipping and arrange for pick up, so that they can come for the pick up after you have gotten your money. I will need your home address and mobile phone number to arrange for the pick up.

The scammer has created a sender's email account similar to the real PayPal -
the return-to account is registered with a free email provider:
[email protected]

A fake shipping company: "ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES"

De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
?Enviada: segunda-feira, 12 de Setembro de 2011 15:26?
Para: [email protected]?Cc: [email protected]?Assunto: PayPal Instant Payment Received from Ayrton Dario (Transaction ID: MYR849375694INT)?

You've received an instant payment
Dear ..................,
This e-Mail confirms that you have received an Instant payment of €9,312.00 EUR from Ayrton Dario via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.
Reversals : This method of payment can not be reversed.

Summary of this transaction
Sent From
Ayrton Dario
[email protected]
Sent to
Transaction ID
MYR849375694INT
Merchandise Amount €8,312.00 EUR
Transport Charges?? €1,000.00
Total Amount?? EUR??€9,312.00
Merchandise Title
EUR??YAMAHA XVS MIDNIGHT STAR? 

Transport Company: " ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES "

Courier Details:

Name : Mr Rayna Grenon
?Address : 29 Jalan 1B/133,
Sri Sentosa,
Kelang Lama,
?Postal Code: 58000
?City: Kuala Lumpur?

Address Status:

NOTE: This is to confirm to you that the mentioned amount has been successfully transferred by the Sender and been deducted from his Account which is ready to be credited into your account and this Payment has been subjected to be a Payment for aMERCHANDISE purchased from you, we reserve the right to make sure this transaction is 100% Safe and Secured also to verify the legitimacy level on this transaction.??The above sum includes the transport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal MERCHANDISE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from the PayPal Customer Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the Transport Fares and Taxes to the transport company with the above Courier details as soon as possible.

You may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here (Note: Clicking on links given to you by scammers will lead you to another fraudulent website) or reply directly to this email by using the ?reply button in your e-Mail Box and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.??Copyright © 2011 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. ??PayPal Email ID PP307

Note: Malaysia is home to a large community of Nigerian scammers.

Asking for a Western Union transfer - a big red flag!
Besides, PayPal have their own money transfer system, why would they want Western Union?

De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] ?Enviada: segunda-feira, 12 de Setembro de 2011 15:29?Para: [email protected]?Cc: [email protected]?Assunto: Information on how to complete your transaction with Ayrton Dario (Transaction ID:MYR849375694INT)?

Dear ............,??     
You have received a PayPal Instant Payment of €9,312.00 EUR from Ayrton Dario.??                               TRANSACTION STATUS : TEMPORARY ON HOLD
??As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per PayPal Merchandise Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES ). 

You would have to Pay the Shipping Charges to the Transport Company through Western Union, In order to complete this transaction and get the whole funds Released in your account. So therefore, we advice you go to nearest Western Union Office,and send the excess sum €1,000.00 EUR to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of the Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).??
NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. ??Please, find below the Name and Address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.??Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company: " ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES "

Courier Details:
Name : Mr Rayna Grenon
?Address : 29 Jalan 1B/133,
Sri Sentosa, Kelang Lama,
?Postal Code: 58000?
City: Kuala Lumpur
?Country : Malaysia 

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of the required Western Union Details which should either be sent in JPG format or the Details Stated below:
(1) Sender's Name; 
?(2) Receiver's Name; 
(3) MTCN; 
?(4) Amount Sent;
?(5) Western Union Receipt

You may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here (You know by now - don't click!) or reply directly to this email by using the reply button in your e-Mail Box and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.
??Copyright © 2011 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. ??PayPal Email ID PP307

The "buyer" wants to make sure he gets the money: :evil:
I have just completed the Payment of the item and i am sure you have received the confirmation from PayPal regarding the Payment, you can check your paypal e-mail for confirmation of payment. I want you to send me your address so that the pick up can be arranged, the item would be picked up by the ARMADA GROUP OF COMPANIES which I've been using for a while and they're very reliable. I made an extra payment of €1,000.00 EUR and i am sure you noticed that, you'll have to send the extra amount to the Shipping Company through Western Union right away, so that they can come ahead for the pick up and also you should send your address where they have to come for the pick up and also the necessary Western Union Payment Information. I will need you to send the excess fund to my pick up agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via western union money transfer(this can be done from the post office, as they usually have a western union agent there). Here is my pick up agent Headquarter info needed to send the money through Western Union.??Name: Mr Rayna Grenon   ?Address : 29 Jalan 1B/133, Sri Sentosa, Kelang Lama?City : Kuala Lumpur?Postal Code : 58000?Country : Malaysia.
I am sure you have all my name and address for all documentations regarding the item, and all other documentations should be prepared by my Pick Up Agent. You should send the money soon so that the Pick Up would be scheduled and you would know when the Pick Up would commence, make sure you're home. I advice you to check both your inbox or junk/spam folder for the payment confirmation message.
So just make sure you send the extra amount to the Shipping Company right away so that you can get your money immediately. It's Nice Doing Business With You. Get to mail me back soon with your address And phone number..

"PayPal" gets pushy:
Dear ...........,??       
We are contacting you regarding the transfer between you and Ayrton Dario, We are glad to inform you that we are still having your money with us in progress, and we are still expecting to received the necessary western union information from you for the immediately remittance of your account.??   So therefore, all you have to do now is to proceed to send the €1,000.00 EUR from your pocket through Western Union Money Transfer to the confirmed shipper address and make sure you contact us with the Necessary Western Union details so that we can verify it and then credit your account.??Note: The Western Union Information should be sent directly to us for verification and then you can send the information to the buyer after your money is released into your account. We shall be expecting to read from you as soon as possible.??Sincerely,??A. Williams,?The PayPal Team.

Sadly, I haven't got the header yet to check for the sender's location, but the language of these emails is typical for Nigerians, so it will be either Malaysia or Nigeria.
Advertisement

#66861 by Katharina Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 am
The scammer is now using a fresh email account, pretending to be from PayPal: [email protected]
In reality, it belongs to a free email provider.

Hello ............,??           

The Transaction can neither be divided, canceled nor recalled by the payee (Ayrton Dario) as a security measure to protect both the Seller and Buyer. We assure you that you have 100% Guarantee and Security that you will get your money as soon as the Western Union information is received from you. We assure you that this is a safe and approved transaction and your account will be credited with the total amount (€9,312.00 EUR) immediately we verify the Western Union details. ?? 

You can contact us anytime if you have any question(s) about this transaction. We want you to understand that the payment can't be reversed neither can it be canceled or divided by (Ayrton Dario) the money has already been sent to your account, so we assure you that you are 100% SECURED doing this transaction. Once again be rest assured that you will have your Money, Once the Western Union Information is received from you for verification.??

Note: You should not send the Western Union information to the buyer, the Western Union Information should be sent directly to us for verification and then you can send the information to the buyer after your money is released into your account. We shall be expecting to read from you as soon as possible.??

Thanks,?
The PayPal Team.

Note: The scammer is trying to intimidate the victim:
The Transaction can neither be divided, canceled nor recalled by the payee
This might lead to future threats with a fake police agent or debt collector. The best way to deal with it is to either
- stop communicating with the scammer
- or tell him that you have sold your item to a neighbour.