Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#66747 by Katharina Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 am
Submitted by a new member:
Thanks for your response. € 8.000  is a nice and acceptable price. I will be adding the 3.9% PayPal surcharge to the total amount i will be paying you. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and i hope you have a PayPal account.??If you have one already, just send me the address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it or you can send me a PayPal money request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company.??Have a nice day

This is the first contact preparing an overpayment scam.
The thief is not interested in what you want to sell. He wants the money you are supposed to send to the fake shipping company, usually via Western Union or MoneyGram.
You will get an email from a fake PayPal employee claiming that PayPal is holding a large amount of money "in escrow". As soon as you have paid the surplus amount to the "shipping company", the amount due to you "will be credited to your PayPal account."

PayPal does not offer an escrow service. And PayPal being a safe way to transfer money, why would they want to send you to Western Union = competition?
Advertisement