Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#67675 by shenzi3 Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 am
Yup

I was scammed and lost £1120 on a craiglist scam out of London, UK

here's the link to the ad http://london.craigslist.co.uk/spo/2577167724.html - guys name supposedly is Balin Ardel living at 150 Brechin Road, Arbeoath, Scotland DD11 4AP.................I even have his bank account details, which when I phoned my bank to report the scam and gave them the account number, the helpdesk person told me that the person was as named above (probably an oversight on their part)

BEWARE THE OTHER PARAMOTORS ALSO LOOK LIKE SCAMS ON CRAIGLIST!!!!!!!

Below are the mails received/sent (mine in blue)

Hi
Is it still for sale? – if so, cash waiting
With thanks

Hello,
yes, the paramotor is still available
cheers
Balin

Sounds good – are you around this weekend – say on Sunday late afternoon/early evening so that I can view?
Where are you in London?
Cheers

i'm from arbroath angus not from london
cheers
balin

on London is much easier to find a customer this is the reason that you found the adon london
Take a look at these pics. Everything is in very good shape
A delivery within uk will cost around £120.00
Thanks!
Balin

Hi Balin

looks good - ok, I'll need your bank account number and sort code, name of bank, and your name so that I can transfer the money. Are you able to organise the courier? - I'll add the cost £120 to the transfer = £1120.

Yes, i will organise the courier.
My payment details are:
BALIN ARDEL
XXXXXX BANK
SORT CODE:xx-05-xx
ACC NO: xxxx 3642

if I could talk on the phone would have done it with you but unfortunately I can not. I was operated on maxillary, now I have a braces in mouth and only if I can breathe a few words. doctors told me that 15-20 days after surgery like this will be the situation. it is a very difficult situation because I go to work every day and can not talk to anyone...but what to do?
So please email me if you have any questions and i will do my best to respond asap
Cheers!
Balin :x :x :x - should have seen this coming

I would be grateful if you could send me your address to re-assure me that all is as it should be. Upon receipt I shall transfer the money

Ohh, i'm sorry...i throught that i sent it already
150 Brechin Rd Arbroath Angus DD11 4AP
Regards!
Balin

AND GUESS WHAT NO MORE EMAILS, NO GOODS ETC - I FEEL ANGRY WITH MYSELF

PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THIS!!
Advertisement

#67679 by began steele Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 am
Could we have the bank details given please. We can get this shut down as a fraud. Others will know if you could try to recover money, but I doubt it because it's probably cleaned out.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#67680 by shenzi3 Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 am
BALIN ARDEL
BARCLAYS BANK
SORT CODE:20-05-74
ACC NO: 6312 3642

The account is live - checked it yesterday via an account verification tool

Hope this is of help

cheers

Shenzi3
#67729 by ryanbumg Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:04 pm
This is interesting. I just transferred funds to this same address for a Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/bik/2578770383.html

I was purchasing it from the US so i was already watching out for the possible scam. Like you i feel sick to my stomach. We did the bank transfer yesterday (Monday) and am working with the bank and fraud officials right now to see if we can pull back the funds. Thank you for posting this and here is a recap of my email communication.

The email address they used on me was [email protected] and the persons name was Olly C Michael. Address: 150 Brechin Road, Arbroath, Scotland DD11 4AP.

Here are the emails for the transaction (Mine in Blue)
I have been looking for a used Co-Motion Supremo in the states and have not been very successful. The bike and price is just what I am looking for. If you run into any snags selling it in London and would like to consider working on a deal shipping it over to the US please let me know.

Ryan, a delivery to US will cost around £150.00, proffesional packaged and full insured
Thanks!
Olly

Can you send me a few closeup pictures of the bike or send me a link to then on the web. I would really like to get a better look at the bike and paint scheme. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

How would you like payment? I have never tried to buy something from overseas.

One more question. What was the size of the pilot and co pilot on your tandem. Just trying to gauge sizing.

Hello Ryan,
The captain height is 5 9 and his wife is 5 6 he tells me the bike would fit a captain up to 5 11 and the rider up to 5 8
About payment, i use only bank transfers
Regards!
Olly

Thank you for the pictures. The bike looks in great shape and the height of the captain and stoker match my wife and I.

do you know the total weight of the bike?

would there be any way to do the financial transaction through PayPal. Would a bank transfer have the ability to put the money into an escrow account so that I make sure the bike arrives?

Just looking to gain a little comfort level to make sure you get your money and I get the bike.

Ryan, with all the respect but do you think that i'm here to make frauds or what sense have this question...if the bike arrives?
I don't use paypal. The bike will be shipped to you as soon as i get the payment confirmation from my bank that the funds are in my account, not into an escrow account
Thanks!
Olly

Thanks for the response and I meant no disrespect. I just have never bought anything using a bank transfer.

Do you have the account number that I need to transfer the funds into?

Olly C Michael
150 Brechin Rd
Arbroath
Angus
DD11 4AP
United Kingdom
NATWEST BANK
SORT CODE: XX-XX-45
ACC NO: XXXX 2496
BIC: XXXX GB2L
IBAN : XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX 6024 96

OIlly I have some friends who have family in Dundee. Would you be available for them to come look at the tandem? They can come by on Sunday or Monday.

Just let me know a time and I can get them headed in your direction.

Monday afternoon would be great. I'll be home

Olly, I just got word that our friends family member is not going to be able to make it to view the bike. I appreciate you offering up your time to do so.

Would you be willing to part with the bike for £1350 including shipping?

£1400 incl shipping and we have a deal. you have my details, let me know when the payment was sent and send me your full postage details

cheers

olly

Deal we will make payment today

After notification of payment no other emails or communication.
#67774 by shenzi3 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 am
Ryanbumg

I looked on google streetview at 150 Brechin Road, this was prompted by one of the photographs sent to me which showed a children's trampoline in the garden in the background...................when I rotated myself within streetview at 146 Brechin Road (directly opposite 150) Lo and behold - a trampoline!!!!!

bit too much of a coincidence I would say

Therefore I would summise that the address is not 150 but 146 Brechin Road

Sorry to hear you've also been scammed, hope you get your money back..........

Here are the other items I believe are also scams on craiglist......

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/spo/2608661067.html - this guy claims to live in the Shetland Islands (so not easy to view the item)

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/for/2582027792.html - too cheap for a Parajet - strangely it too has a trampoline in the background

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/spo/2578776749.html - ditto - too cheap and all the crap about a divorce settlement

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/spo/2558741365.html - this guy claims 'worldwide shipping' same wording as in the one as I was scammed by

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/spo/2575182880.html - too cheap
#68648 by snm1214 Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 am
Was just about to transfer $6k into this idiots bank account and FORTUNATELY plugged in his [email protected] email address and this website came up. I was only suspicious based on his persistence for bank transfer only. Why would he not take a cashiers check?? Now I know why.

Just a pile of garbage, that's all he is!! Sorry to hear about others that fell into the trap, I was one click away from falling into the trap if it wasn't for this website!! I won't post all the details of my conversation as the details are identical to the others.
#68763 by Bubbles Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners snm1214. It is great that you found this thread and were able possibly get your money back.

This is what our site of for. Please let us know if you are able to retrieve the funds. It would be a great reward to those who have lost funds to this scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#68811 by began steele Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 am
Could we have those details on the bank so we can try to get it shut down by Alan. He usually checks the scam details and has his way of getting them shut. Sometimes I believe the banks can act on account money as proceeds of crime but I expect these are drawn out pretty fast, unless the scammer is complacent and doesnt realise the details can be used to do this. One reason why not to tell a scammer he has been discovered. I think proceeds of crime can be returned to the sender in due course after certain checks

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#72154 by Tineso Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:41 am
Hi,

I have been replying to an add in Craigslist london for Klimax amplifiers and the guy is using the address [email protected]

He said he was located in Scotland which is no problem however he only wants to communicate via email - not phone.

Bottom line - never transfer money unless you can see the goods and take them with you. I was always suspicious with the low price asked but this site is great for bringing out the truth about these scammers.

I have also been following up items allegedly located in the shetlands - the guy is using "George Walker <[email protected]>" and I have little doubt this is also a scam.

Be careful !

Raymond
#73520 by Haigvague_13 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 pm
This joker is so annoying! I have a scam Papa Bear Hans Wegner chair to add to the collection.

£1300 seemed too good to be true and guess what it would have been! Again, Fife, St Andrews, from Chris, [email protected] (and also in separate email, Greg, [email protected]) Scam Scam scam!!

This is the link to one of his newer scams:
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/clt/2643848642.html (PostingID: 2643848642)
(as link may expire and to avoid any future scams, it's a grey chair on a carpet looking out of what looks like floor to ceiling window onto grey building and a multi-coloured painting on the wall and the description reads as: "Up for sale we have this chair designed by Hans Wegner. Commonly known as the "Papa Bear" chair. Its in original upholstery. The only thing wrong with this chair is the tear on the bottom of the back rest as shown in pics. Can easily be covered up by pillows or have it repaired. Measures height: 39" second height 15" depth 37" width/length 36". A classic danish design to add to your collection! Email me with any questions, Thanks for looking!!!")

We thought in his emails his tone of phrase, weird use of exclamation marks and fact he always replied at 6am was a bit weird. He was also very reluctant to phone or provide details on authenticity of chair (obviously!)

So when I got an email after asking him for his number to discuss saying:"if I could talk on the phone would have done it with you but unfortunately I can not. I was operated on maxillary, now I have a braces in mouth and only if I can breathe a few words. doctors told me that 15-20 days after surgery like this will be the situation. it is a very difficult situation because I go to work every day and can not talk to anyone...but what to do?
So please email me if you have any questions and i will do my best to respond asap
I'm from Fife, St Andrews. Where are u from?
Regards!
Chris
"

...I thought I would google it and found Scamwarners.

I am still pretending that I am keen to buy and seeing if he'll give out the same account details and then checking if can do anything to report/block his account. Although I was keen to say I'd call him in 20 days when he should have recovered from his crippling surgery...

Sorry people have lost money and hope by posting anyone with doubts will google and find this...