Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
Advertisement

#68924 by Andy Hood Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 pm
Unfortunately there is probably nothing that can be done about your money. Dont beat yourself up too much. Thousands of people fall for scams. Can you please post more details? Andy
#169414 by Spitpilot Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 am
I wonder of this is the same scam I have just fallen victim to. http://edinburgh.craigslist.co.uk/bfd/3746874387.html
ALLISON ENGINE V-1710,Continental Motor ALLISON V-1710 -29 F2L - £4500

Paid the money and never heard from him again. These are the details I got:

Daniel A. Gemene
61 Keptie St
Arbroath
Angus
DD11 3AN
United Kingdom
Barclays Bank PLC
Sort code: 209179
Account no: 63033627
Swift: BARCGB22
IBAN is:GB68 BARC 2091 7963 0336 27

Contacted UK police fraud branch, craigslist and the banks. So far nothing. Is this the same engine, same contact details?

I want to nail this guy
#169415 by TerranceBoyce Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:47 am
I'm afraid that Barclays Bank having Romanian 'money mule' accounts is sadly a major problem affecting UK banking presently. It's the most extraordinary phenomenon I've ever heard of and I was in UK banking all my life before I retired. Out of the last 100 accounts reported here something like 98 have been with that bank and most of those have had Romanian names.

I know that one person is in contact with a UK newspaper over the issue but I don't have any further details or know if it's going anywhere as regards a story. The amount of stolen money currently being laundered must be phenomenal considering that the amount of each one is usually in the order of £5,000, though much larger amounts have been reported, and it's not just claiming UK victims. I've spoken to Greek and Dutch victims.

I've contacted a scammer myself as a spoof victim and guess what they offered me to launder the money they wanted to scam off me ? Just trying to get an idea of the number of scam ads being placed is worrying enough.

If the authorities don't get a grip then ad sites will be dead. I'd complain to the bank and then take it to the FOS on the basis that there appears to be a systemic problem. Until it's admitted there's a problem, nothing can or will be done about it. If everyone who had been scammed went to the FOS the FOS would collapse under the strain.

The situation is really quite bizarre.

This is a newspaper story about another victim from a few months ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/barclays-accused-in-ebay-car-sale-scam-8580967.html

The UK is reputed to have the most stringent money laundering legislation in the world, but seemingly it doesn't apply to money obtained fraudulently. It has been said that we have the legislation, but fail to apply it.

The horror is, that if people get to understand how easy it is to perform this type of fraud and get away with it, our whole banking system is going to start wobbling again as everyone joins in. I can tell you the best way to do it, though of course I won't, but it makes it ridiculously easy for the authorities to work out who's involved.

in the old days a person would turn up with a suitcase full of cash, but nowadays a 'money mule' herder could easily pass upwards of £250,000 through his accounts without it causing a ripple. It's the most secure way for a fraudster to handle money. Now I can spot the ads, I can be sure of pulling the accounts off the herders, but I know I can't do it faster than they can open them. Considering that it destroys trust in the implements of commerce you'd think it worth protecting.

I''ll just grit my teeth and get on with it.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#177660 by lelolo1234 Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 am
It looks like that scam is still in use, in march i nearly took a flight to UK in order to check the Allison engine, i nearly lost 2000 £ and was surprised not to be able to reach him on the phone, here is an email i received :

"Laurent, I was operated on maxillary, now I have a braces in mouth and only if I can breathe a few words. So please email me if you have any questions and i will do my best to respond asap. I'll be available for a meeting this week until thursday...from friday to sunday I'll be out of town
Arbroath is 100 miles northeast of glasgow
I don't dealing with cash, the funds must come by bank
Regards!
Sandu"
#177666 by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:48 am
Welcome to Scamwarners lelolo1234.

Can you supply any more details ? - such as the name of the person you were dealing with, the bank details they gave you, what it is they were offering for sale and copies of the e-mails they sent you ) with your personal details omitted).

Never buy any vehicle you haven't viewed first. There are just too many scammers operating on ad sites nowadays.

Interestingly the word 'gemene' used as a surname from the earlier mentioned fraud is another made up name - being a North European word for a common/ordinary man. It's clear that one gang is able to get fake ID cards with ease. Quite simply if some countries are having their ID cards reproduced by counterfeiters, banks shouldn't accept them as ID to open a bank account.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#184740 by Spitpilot Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 am
He's back to it again. This time London Craigslist, post ID 4226095090. I have posted an add on the same site (post ID 4250480173) warning others.
#186697 by garryf Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am
Hi, I'm new but not so wet behind the ears.
I think this lot are at it again, I responded to an Edinburgh Craigslist ad for a pair of technics sl1210 mk5g gold turntables.
The guy Nic Genduso has come up with allsorts of excuses why we couldn't meet to deal
he refuses cash (sound familiar?) and only wants bank transfer to Barclays bank acc. No: 33723887 sort code: 205274.
Pick up address: you guessed it, 61 Keptie Street, Arbroath.
Hope this helps
regards
garryf
#189514 by Spitpilot Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 am
Here we go again. This time Craigslist Edinburgh; post id: 4302116750. I have posted a counter-ad on the same site. Keep away from the bastard people.