Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#69601 by choop101 Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm
Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks
Advertisement

#69607 by Dotti Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:51 pm
Just search "oceanographer" on this forum, and you'll get your answer.

It's a total scam. The scammer intends to send you a fake paypal receipt for more than the cost of the boat. He will tell you to wire the excess to the "agent." There will be a phony explanation that the money is in a hold status until the agent is paid.

Of course in reality, the emails aren't from paypal, they are fake emails from the scammer. No money was sent, and any money you send to the "agent" will be your own.

Paypal does not hold money pending payment of shipping or anything else. Money that is transferred will appear in your paypal account immediately. Even if there is a hold on the money, you will be able to log into the real paypal and see the money in your account--in a hold situation, you just can't transfer it yet. And of course, paypal will never send you to western union, moneygram, or any other money transfer company--all of those companies are paypal's competition!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#69849 by aynot77 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm
I just received the SAME email in response to our boat for sale listed on Craigslist too.
Thanks for posting this, it probably just saved me a 15k dollar boat!
"He" is at it again, Same name but a different email.

Jason Cotwell - [email protected]

Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks
#105825 by huffisaac Thu May 31, 2012 8:49 pm
This Guy tried to scam me just yesterday 5/30/12 I am selling a boat on craigslist. This is his Email same as the rest.

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics. I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now. Many Thanks
#108279 by coroner Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:19 am
Got this text in email this morning........................

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that is in good
state and that i will not be disappointed with it?I'm ready to pay
your asking price and to be honest, i want to buy this for my brother
as his gift. I a marine biologist that works on the sea at the moment.
phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i
squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding
it so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money
via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done
via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on
this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, it is
pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to
www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for it
once payment clears . i will like to see more pics i look forward to
hear back from you soon.

Below are the details needed

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Cell number :

Thanks.

--
Still available???
#117796 by notborn_yesterday Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:20 pm
now they are doing it for cars too lol

Message flagged Friday, August 3, 2012 8:42 PM
Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good
state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay
your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my
father, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a
contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment
from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception
on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make
use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can
send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to
be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal
fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with
paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to
http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will
take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear
from you soon. will like to see more pics.
I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal
email address so i can send the money now.
Many Thanks
#117804 by Bubbles Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners notborn_yesterday and thank you for posting this information. Scammers will use any item to try to get a victim to fall into their trap.

Please post up the email address the scammer is using. Often people search by email address.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#125447 by Akshaya Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 am
Thank you for your posts, it's valuable. I just received some similar mail but for a car :

"Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal Full name and email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks"

The e-mail adress was [email protected]
#125995 by CacDaddy Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:42 pm
I've recieved about 10 of these from different names

I cant make or receive calls here due to the nature of my job as i am
offshore. I would have love to call but our satellite server has been
down which restrict our calls. Please bear with me as i'm willing to
buy. The shipping company will handle the title transfer, inspection
and pick up.

--
Walker McGill
Operations Support MNG

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error,
please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete
this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly
prohibited.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be
curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work,
instead of living on public assistance." --Roman philosopher and
statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

I have decided to keep the boat because of this stuff LOL :shock:
#187450 by Scam_Buster Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:30 pm
This scam is still going on. I received this email in January 2014.

Thanks for your swift response, I am ready to buy this item for my son as birthday gift, and would have loved to come and inspect this at your place myself, but I am a marine engineer and presently off-shore. I am interested in buying this for my son as a surprise gift and please just make sure it is in condition described. I will appreciate more pictures if available and will be sending your money asap. The pick up agent(Mover)will be available to pick this up as soon as payment is completed. Do you have PayPal account? because, I have a PayPal account that I can easily send money through because, its good for business payments. Get back to me with your PayPal email address and name in order for me to have your money sent on time. Confirm sale to me and remove the add from posting.

My Questions:
1. Are there any other issues with this item ?
2. What is your final asking price?
3. What is the condition?
4. Are you the Owner?
5. Your Preferred Pick Up Location ?
6. Your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address For Me
To Proceed With The Payment?

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address . You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal email address and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!