Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#10533 by Ralph Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:11 am
This email was forwarded to me by a person who was luckily cautious enough to ask if this was a scam.

Indeed, yes it is.

I have done several searches but so far come up with no hits but I have no doubt it is a scam

In this case the scammer wants you to print you own cheques and deposit them into your bank account as payment for the item you are selling on Craigslist, he will then ask you to forward the money to the courier company which is where your money will be stolen, the courier company is part of the scam, the have no interest at all in your item, only the money you pay to the courier.

You will notice in the email there is no mention of what it is you are buying, whats more, by printing and depositing your own fake cheques you will be liable for not only any money drawn but also to prosecution, please do not ever accept cheques as payment, even if you are printing them yourself

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: removed
Sent: recently
Subject: Re: description revised to avoid identification (it was a pool table)

Sounds Great,
I read the mode and condition on your posting in craigslist,I am interest to purchase the item from you and i will like to proceed with payment asap and I will arrange for shipment when you must have gotten your cash at hand.International Auto Dependable Shipping Company will come and pick it up immediately the check is cleared at the bank. My mode of payment will be via (E-check) Electronic cashier check drawn on Bank of America.To get the check printed out you would needs to purchase Blank Business Check paper only to print and cash or deposit the check.The Blank Business Check Paper sold for $20 at any below stationery outlet...

. Staples
. Office Depot/Max
. Micro Centers
. Any Fry's Electronic Stores.
.Any Stationery Stores.
. Compusa.

I will re-emburse you for the cost of supplies to your asking.I am currently away from home and will not have time to mail a certified check or pay via cash.Electronic Cashier Checks is fast and secure to facilitate the transaction.I will need your name and address with your valid email address to send the E-check to your email which you can print immediately when you must have purchase the supplies at any stationery store.Kindly delete the advert of this item and email me back to proceed further. I will await your email asap.

Thanks

Click Here to see what Craig'slist have to say about scams. It is sound advice, please follow it

Edited to add some further informaton on E Checks Click Here

More information on a variety of scams using E Checks Click Here

This link provides information on E Checks Click Here

One more link, this one to a variety of other people who were fortunate enough to avoid being scammed Click Here
Last edited by Ralph on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Advertisement