Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#1532 by monk513 Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:00 pm
A David Hansson is selling a rapido 962 on Vivastreet .fr For 12.300euro
and is asking for a 30%deposit to be sent to [email protected] and he is asking it to be payed to a western union shipper .
I questioned this and the received another reply from a William Harbaugh,
he said that he was acting on behalf of mr Daivd Hansson and that he works for Ebay international AG.

Have these names cropped up before ?
Advertisement

#1533 by ChrisSmith Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:19 pm
It's unlikely wether those names would have been heard of before. Scammers (and this is a scam) change their names all the time.

ebay does not have an email domain name such as ebayadvisor.co.uk. although there is an unofficial group who have set themselves up to help people use their service. Your guy says he works for ebay. This would not be the case even if he were from ebayadvisor.

http://groups.msn.com/eBayAdvisor

Scammers often use authentic looking email addresses to give themselves more credence.

Also, ebay has a policy against instant money transfers such as Western Union so it goes against the grain for anyone working for ebay to advise you to accept one as a method of sending payment.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/payment.html

If you send the deposit, you will never see the money again and, needless to add, you won't ever get to sit behind the steering wheel of the Rapido.

Edit: I should have added - Well done for checking this out first!!! :wink:

#1534 by dlcooper Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:06 pm
Certainly this does not look legitimate.

The person who registered the ebayadvisor.co.uk and ebayadviser.co.uk domains is called Dave Townsend. He has been associated both with an address in the Hanham Business Park in Bristol and with one in the Fiveways Industrial Estate in Corsham. He trades as "Stockwood Stock Co.". He, together with a Pete Williams, openly operate a number of eBay UserIDs and associated websites. They seem very upfront about saying who and where they are, and what they do. They give contact details, including phone numbers. The feedback pages on their eBay UserIDs have many positive comments.

I did not see any mention of a David Hansson or a William Harbaugh at the sites I visited. I suppose that someone could, in principle, ask Dave Townsend what, if anything, he knows about the forwarding of email from the [email protected] address.

Never trust a smiling duck.

#1536 by Chris Martins Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:11 pm
For what it's worth, I tried sending an email to that address and it bounced.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

#1541 by Pat Hamilton Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:13 pm
As a general rule, the words "Western Union" in any kind of correspondence relating to a business transaction like this is a HUGE red warning flag. Your suspicions are well-founded and this is indeed a scam. I am very glad you spotted it before they stole your money.
#1574 by monk513 Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:53 am
Thanks for all your replys, it was a case of, if it's to good to be true then it is.
But It's an eye opener for me. (Great site thanks )