Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
Advertisement

#77600 by David Jansen Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 am
Welcome here Sebastine.

Could you please post the emails that they have send you?

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#77604 by AlanJones Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 am
Here is a response (probably the 2nd in the format) from [email protected].

Hi
I just thought you might have had some other buyer's interested in buying the Vehicle from you so i think the best way for me to outbid them is only by offering you an additional $700.AUD to your asking price on your ad Gumtree, But let me start by saying i won't for the inspection of the Vehicle my self due to where i am presently,but i have a pick-up Agent who will be contacting you about where and when the picking of the Vehicle will taking place after have completed the payment transaction with you .
But can you please tell me just a little bit more about the present mechanical condition and how often do you do the service and if possible the history ?. I will be waiting to read from you before i can proceed with the payment immediately

Nick

Another response from the scammer.
Good to hear from you again and also thank you for this details you have just given me , Well in regards to the Vehicle am very much interested in buying it and paying for it right away so you don't have to look around for any other buyer for it. I'm actually buying it for my Parent at home in Tasmania as a surprise, But before i can send it to him i have to make sure the Vehicle is in a good condition . I hope you understand my point that there is no way i come to do the inspection of the Vehicle my self as have said earlier besides the Car will be picked up and transported to Tasmania where my Parents stays, So whatever you tell me about the good and the bad aspect of the Vehicle is what i will believe and also inform the Pick-up agent that will be coming over to pick the Vehicle
After have completed the payment the agent will contact you about where and when the pick up will take place and they will also be of assistance to do the change of ownership when they get there. but before i proceed with the Payment is there is any problem which you're yet to mention that i should know , please let me know now meanwhile can you please please take the add off online now till we complete the transaction and please send me your PayPal email and i will make the Payment right now
Regards
Nick

A further response:
Hi Mate
Am very happy with it and like i said earlier i am not available my self to come over and the Vehicle will be picked up and transported to Tasmania because that is where my Parent resides and I have no one that can come and inspect the Vehicle for me but whatever you tell me about the good and the bad aspect of the Vehicle is what I will inform the agent that will come over and pickup the Vehicle but am very fine with the Picture and he will be the same person to take care of the Paper work , that is why i want you to send me your PayPal right now so please kindly send me your PayPal and i can proceed with the Payment right away .
Regards
Nick

And an IP check:

ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:Header Analysis Quick Report
Originating IP: 41.135.213.204
Originating ISP: Mweb Connect
City: Johannesburg
Country of Origin: South Africa
* For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline

A further email from the scammer
Hi Please Reply this Email Urgently
I Just want to let you know this quick that i was just about to make the payment right now when the pick up agent inform me that i will have to pay for the freight fee also before they can be able add me to there schedule and pick up time with you and they are charging $600 for the pick up and delivery to Tasmania and they said the payment must be sent only to their Co-Operate International Headquarter in United State and the payment must be made to them through Western Union or Money Gram money transfer.
And due to the fact that i can only make this Payment only via PayPal i will add the $600 and the 2.4% that PayPal is charging you to the money am sending to you through PayPal and immediately i make the payment to you, I will contact you and please i will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent's Hq in United Kingdom through western union money transfer after i have sent you the full payment. I would have done it myself but I can't send money through that means due to my present location. I'm a little incapacitated but I'll appreciate your help here as soon as i make the Payment to you .
Please respond a.s.a.p. so that I can proceed in making all the payment to you now

Regards
Nick

Here is a further response from the scammer

Hi Mate
I will like to inform you that I have sent the payment and I expect PayPal to have contacted you by now on the email you use for PayPal., I have sent $5,800.00 and PayPal said the fund will be held and it will not be credited into your account until you have sent the money meant for pick-up and i believe you must have received a notification in regards to this. Send the pick up fee to the agent's Headquarter in United State via western union money transfer in any Post office closer to you so that PayPal can credit all the money into your account as soon as you have sent the western union details to them. I added extra $400 to cover western union and the PayPal charges which shouldn't be more than $160-180 but just to be sure i added $400. and the PayPal charges Here is the pick up agent information needed for you to send the money through western union money transfer:

Name: James Jones
Address: 12 Main Ave,
City: Gaston ,
State: North Carolina
Amount: $600.00.AUD
Text question: What is the Colour
Answer: White

Email me the necessary details; the mtcn which you will be given at the western union office after you have sent the pick up fee, the name of the sender, address and the question and answer you used in sending the money so that I can forward it to PayPal or better still, you can email it to PayPal directly, that is fine with me as well so that they can credit your account with $5,800.00. Please send me your address where the vehicle will be picked up and also your phone number because I must forward it to the agent who will contact you immediately they have received the payment and your account is credited so that a convenient pick up time can be booked.

Regards
Nick

Here is the first contact from the fake PayPal ([email protected]. [email protected])

Dear XXX

You have received a PayPal AUTOMOBILE Pending Payment of $5,800.00 .AUD from Nicholas Oppelaar to [email protected] through PayPal Account

In addition, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds and will not reflect in your PayPal Account History because it is under Pending in our database. This is a PayPal AUTOMOBILE Payment Service for a vehicle purchased from you, we reserve the right to make sure this Transaction is safe and secure and to also verify the legitimacy level of this Transaction because of the high amount of funds involved.

This is to inform you that you are required to send a sum of $600.00 AUD which is meant for Pick-Up Charges to the address below via Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the relevant information's which you will be provided with after the money has been sent. You are requested to give us the MTCN# (Money Transfer Control Number), Sender's Name, Sender's Address and Secret Question and Answer used in making the transfer before we credit the total sum of $5,800.00 .AUD into your PayPal account.

Payment Details
Description: Auto
Quantity: 1
Goods: $5,200 AUD
Pick-up fee: $600.00 AUD
Total: $5,800.00 AUD

Pick-up Western Union
Details
Name: James Jones
Address: 12 Main Ave,
City: Gaston ,
State: North Carolina
Amount: $600.00.AUD
Text question: What is the Colour
Answer: White

Please Note: This action is not a request from the Buyer that you must send the Pick-Up fee to the Pick-Up agent before we credit your account. It is a security procedure we are taking to protect both parties involved in this Transaction. The total sum above has been successfully debited from Nicholas Oppelaar the Buyer's account and is ready to be credited into your account. Due to the fact that this payment is an AUTOMOBILE purchase, we reserve the right to make sure this Transaction is safe and secure and to verify the legitimacy level of this Transaction because of the high sum of funds involved.. Note: Transaction was done via our E-mail Payment Service, all inquiries should be directed to PayPal Customer Care via Email because it is the one being used in monitoring your Transaction. This Transaction has not been directed to the Phone Service Section of our Customer Care Departm

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD: NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved.
PayPal Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (AFSL 304962). Any general financial product advice provided in this site has not taken into account your objectives, financial situations or needs.
PPID PP1525 Questions? Go to the Help Centre at: https://www.paypal.com/au/help Email : [email protected]

Thank you for using PayPal.PayPal Team.

Scott Thompson
President
PayPal, Inc Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved

Last edited by AlanJones on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#77626 by AlanJones Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:59 am
Here is a response (again probably the 2nd) from [email protected].

Thanks for the response, Actually am interested in this posted AD and
i will really love to purchase it right away. Kindly put off the ad
right away and consider me as your favourite buyer and I will have my
shipper come over for the handling of the shipping down to my place
after payment has been received which would be through PayPal or Bank
transfer as paypal is safe and secured for transactions online, advice
soon as i am an hydrographer and i am buying this for my personal use,
If this is acceptable kindly get back to me with your paypal email
address and the details below so i can proceed with the payment. I can
only pay through pay pal or Bank transfer at the moment as i do not
have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my pay
pal account, and this is why i insisted on using pay pal to pay,all i
will need is your pay pal email address to make the payments,and if
you do not have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at
http://www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.

I will need this following details so i can proceed with the payment right away

Your PayPal e-Mail Address:
full name:
What is your reason for selling it?
Address:
Are you the first owner
Firm price

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed

Here is another email from the scammer

Hi,
This is just to get you informed that i have sent the payment through
paypal and i hope by now you should have received the confirmation
from paypal because the funds has been removed from my account
immediately i sent it.
Get back to me as soon as you could so i can know how everything is
going and also i have added $1,500 for the shipping as that is my
shipper's fee and i have added it while sending the payment. the
$1,500 must be send out to the shipper today via Western Union so that
they can come for the pick up.
I need you to get back to me asap in case of any question

Here is the shipping agent contact address where the money will be send to...

Jeremy Clay
Unit 5B Worthy Road
Chittening Industrial Estate
Avonmouth Bristol
UK. BS11 0YB

thanks for the business

Here is the first email from the fake PayPal using the details [email protected] [email protected]

Dear xxx,

Be informed that the payment received from Handerson Elizabeth will only be credited into your PayPal account as soon as you transfer the funds requested and email us the transfer details or receipt to show proof that money has been transferred via Western Union.

Note that this transaction is only available and can only be tracked and traced via email, so do reply back to us if you have any question about the transaction and not via phone call.

We are assuring you a 100% safety as we are doing this to secure both the buyer and the seller. The transaction has been verified and your money is safe with PayPal, thanks for understanding.

Thank you for using PayPal,

PayPal Team.

Some more emails from the fake PayPal

Dear xxx,

You have received a PayPal Payment of $6,590.00 AUD from Handerson Elizabeth ([email protected])

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office, and send the $1,500.00 AUD to the Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company "AUTO SHIPPERS International"

Address:
Name: Jeremy Clay
Address: Unit 5B Worthy Road
Avonmouth Bristol
UK. BS11 0YB

Address Status:Confirmed

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. It should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:
Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent;

You may Click Here or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information or to contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and include either transaction ID or reference number (PP307) quick recognition of this transaction at: [email protected]

Sincerely,
PayPal

Dear xxx

This email confirms that Handerson Elizabeth has just sent you $6,590.00 AUD.

View the details of this transaction here

Payment Details

Transaction Date:15/12/2011

Merchant:Vehicle

Purchased By: Handerson Elizabeth
Transaction ID: 0TR19308DU070732T

Item # Item TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal
Goods
Car
$5,000.00 AUD$5,000.00 AUD

Agent Fee: $1,500.00 AUD

Western Union Charges:
$90.00 AUD

Total: $5,650.00 AUD

This is to inform you that you are required to send a sum of $1,500.00 AUD to the address below via Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the relevant information which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, you are requested to email us the MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) ,sender's name and address used to make the transfer and also the secret question and answer.As soon as we have received these information from you and verified, we shall credit the sum of $6,590.00 AUD to your account. Below is shipping company Name and address, where the money is to be sent using Western Union Money Transfer.

Transport Company:AUTO SHIPPERS International

Name: Jeremy Clay
Address: Unit 5B Worthy Road
Avonmouth Bristol
UK. BS11 0YB

Address Status:Confirmed

Please note: We wish to inform you that Handerson Elizabeth has made his intentions known to PayPal that the sum of $1,500.00 AUD should be sent to the Transport Agent address above via Western Union Money Transfer.

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the MTCN # is sent to us for verification, so as to secure both parties. Below are the relevant information required before your account could be credited:

All you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with the MTCN #, Secret questions and answers and the sender's name and address used when sending the money.Once it has been verified, you will receive a " CONFIRMATION E-mail" from PayPal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with the total amount of $6,590.00 AUD.

Note that this transaction is only available and can only be tracked and traced via email, so do reply back to us if you have any question about the transaction and not via phone call..

Please, understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both parties.We apologize for any inconvenience this may caused you.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal team
PayPal Email ID:PP1525

Dear xxx,
This message is originated from PayPal Company, we are still waiting for information of the money from western union money transfer.

This transaction is in order and legal.The fund will be credited into your Bank account once the Western Union information is sent to our verifying team at:[email protected].
We encourage you to send the information of the money from western union money transfer immediately (due to Pay pal's policy) as your payment has been confirmed by us. Security is of critical importance to us at PayPal.

Sender's Information required...

Sender's Name:
Sender's Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone #:
MTCN:
Amount Transferred:

We use proprietary technology and constantly innovate to help ensure your transactions are safe. In addition, PayPal has over 20,000 staffs worldwide dedicated to keeping PayPal accounts safe, and stopping online criminals. And we work with Internet Service Providers (ISPS) worldwide to shut off fraudulent websites as soon as possible.

PayPal's Fraud Investigation Team is highly experienced in fraud prevention. Several members of the team were former law enforcement officials with extensive experience in fighting online fraud. PayPal's fraud investigation team focuses on: Identifying and preventing fraud before it occurs, Detecting fraud in process Mitigating loss, if fraud does occur, Delivering information to law enforcement around the world to help stop those committing online fraud.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------------------

PayPal Email ID: PP307
Thanks For Using Pay Pal
The Pay Pal Team
Last edited by AlanJones on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#88875 by manblairpig Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:08 am
How are ya going guys
i just about got scammed by this joker i got fooled into thinking he was keen to buy my vechile i didnt give him my paypal account because i dont have 1 and dont no how to work it

but i did give him my name and address and account number for him to deposit money into (this was when i was thing it was for real)

the girl at the bank said he cant do anything apart from put money in and if he trys to ring the bank they will ask him for a secret code if he is trying to pose as me

is there much else this scammer can do with my details?

any help you guys have would be really good

Cheers Blair

here is what he sent me
manblairpig wrote: Thanks for the response, Actually am interested in this posted AD and

full name:
Address:
Are you the first owner
Firm price

Mod edit: deleted double post. DJ
#89591 by clickety Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:13 am
hi i was not sure how to post so im just replying to this 1 as its exactly the same i to have been asked by this person [email protected] for my paypal i was suspissious straight away she asked me for the firmed price of my car. anyway i will copy and paste the whole lot .

Thanks for the response, Actually am interested in this posted AD and

full name:
Address:
Are you the first owner
Firm price

On xxx wrote:
>
> hi my firm price would be 2500
>
>> Date:
>> Subject:
>> From: [email protected]
>> To: xxx
>>
>> Hello, what is your firm price?

Mod edit: edited out real name/email address. DJ
#89744 by sway_80 Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 am
Hi, I'm from Norway and someone tried to scam me yesterday.
Thank Good I googled his email adress, it took me to this site.

I thought there was something wrong with this person.

I am selling a Norwegian Bunad (National Costume). And he wanted to buy it, but was overseas. He was goig to send an agent to pick it up(after I had given him my Paypal-account. I have the ad in a norwegian version og Craigslist.

He calls himself Carl E, and his email is: [email protected]

Thank You soooooo much for this site... :wink:
#94468 by Meligav Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:50 am
Hi there
I wanted to post on this forum as I have advertised a table for sale and the only response I have had is from a scammer who appears to be in Malaysia.
The email address he is sending from is [email protected].
I have forwarded his emails to Paypal but they have not responded.
This forum has been very helpful! Let me know if I should post the emails from 'David Villa'.
Best wishes
Meligav

The email from Paypal is below.

PayPal email

You have received a PayPal Payment of  $1,350.00 AUD  from David Villa ([email protected]).

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction
In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account.We advice you go to nearest Western Union Money Transfer Office,and send the excess sum$550.00 AUD to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).
As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (FAST SHIPPER INTERNATIONAL). 

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. 

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company: "  FAST SHIPPER INTERNATIONAL  "

Address:
Name:  Dhilipkumar  Rajindaran
Address: Jalan 2/2n USJ 17,
City: Subang
Zip Code: 46700
State: Selangor

Address Status: Confirmed 

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested.Should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:

(1) Sender's Name; 
(2) Receiver's Name; 
(3) MTCN; 
(4) Amount Sent;
(5) Western Union Receipt

You may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here or reply to this message[color=#804040][quote
][/quote][/color]
#94611 by MrsG Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 am
We listed our car on Cars Guide and received an immediate email from a suspect buyer based on an oilrig....
John Gbolahon <[email protected] - BEWARE of this guy.

First John Gbolahon text and asked us to email details of car.....

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM - we wrote...
Hi John,
Thanks for your interest in the wagon. We have only recently listed it & have already had a few queries. At this point we are not prepared to negotiate due to high interest level & minimal time spent advertising.
The vehicle is immaculate & with such low klms we feel we will get our asking price.
If you have any questions, feel free to drop us an email & we will reply promptly.

On 06/04/2012, at 6:41 PM, John Gbolahon <[email protected]> wrote:
Due to the nature of my job and my location i will not be able to come for inspection,i don't really think i need to come for a look, because i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it .And can you please confirm to me again that the item is very good with no fault? and also pls get back to me with the final price of the car....

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6.49 PM, we wrote...
Hi John,
I will take more photos tomorrow for you, the vehicle is as you see it, kilometers are genuine, we even have a custom cover the car lives under in the garage which is included. We are asking 45k. I will also send a vid if required. We have had no faults with the car, the only fault I can list is a scratched rim from a bluestone gutter ! Which I'm told can be buffed out by a professional. I'll attach a photo tomorrow.

On 06/04/2012, at 6:59 PM Gbolahon <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the condition and the price, as am buying this car for my vacation,because i'll be coming home for very soon from our rig as am a petroleum engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call in person but our satellite server has been down which restrict our calls.i will be paying you through PayPal,i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payments asap and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.PayPal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come and pick this up after i have made the payments.
 Await your reply.

This made us query why he was so keen, we googled 'PayPal car scams' & found this forum, we replied....

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7.14PM- we wrote....
Sorry, no pay pal. We read the scam on google!!!!