Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#79720 by Evoleth Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:28 pm
He emailed me to buy a painting from online gallery.
he said he is at the sea and can only use paypal, no online banking, and would send agent to pick up the item at my location.
Most definitely scam

Dennis Brian, USA military officer
[email protected]
Advertisement

#79723 by vonpaso xlura Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:17 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners! Could you post the email and the headers here too? You can delete the artist's name and the really long lines of gibberish like the one that begins "b=JRQWCE/TrdQznBWqh6tKmpw", but keep anything that looks intelligible or like an IP address.

Also you might be interested in Artists against 419 :)

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#79732 by Evoleth Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm
Emails:

Hello Seller,

I came across your beautiful listing on ****.com and I am seriously interested in purchasing it. I wanted to know if you still have the item available for sale? If so I can only pay through paypal.
I will make the necessary pick up arrangement for the item.Please e-mail me back to my email address before we proceed ([email protected]).

Best Regards.
Thanks

After replying that Paypal is not available in my country, and can only pay with bank's instruction, or perhaps cousin's paypal from neighbor country, I got this:

Thank you for your mail,

I can make the payment to your cousin as you said. I work as a military officer in my country USA.and I'm currently at sea. I am buying the item for my grandma as a birthday gift. She won't know anything about the item until it gets delivered to her. I can only pay through paypal as I don't have access to my bank account online because I don't have internet banking, but I have my bank account attached to my paypal account and this is why I insisted on paying you through paypal.

So please kind and get back to me with the details needed below so I can proceed with the payment.

Paypal Email Address:
Total Item Price:

After the payment has been done I will have a pick up agent that will come pick up the item at your location. I could have asked you to use ups or other service but N.B ups or fedex and others do not deliver to my grandma address.

Best Regards.
Thanks

Now I don't know what from this is relevant

Received: from [96.31.83.233] by web120404.mail.ne1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:15:57 PST
X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.8.115.331698
References: <[email protected]. yahoo.com>
Message-ID: <[email protected]. yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:15:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply-To: Brian Dennis <[email protected]>
#79741 by vonpaso xlura Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 pm
You got the 96.31.83.233 in, thanks. That's softwala.com, which appears to be hosted in Florida but is registered to someone in Rajasthan. Softwala talked to Yahoo in HTTP, so either the scammer has an account on softwala or there's a security hole or Trojan on it. Or something like that.

The other headers were one Yahoo server talking to another Yahoo server, DKIM-Signature, and the like.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10