Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#79758 by Zoltron_i2ook Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:55 am
Hey! I hope I can get some opinions on this.

My girlfriend bought my BF3 for xbox 360 (Yes I know I should play it on PC :( ) and I am now in the market for a 360... awkward :P

Anyways, I was looking at my local kijiji site and I saw an XBOX 360 Slim (Newest model) @ 250GB. The person is selling for $240.
It also comes with 2 controllers, and roughly 7 or 8 games. I believe I can test it anyways, so I will know if something bad will happen. The person, on their ad also is saying that if anything is wrong with it, I can get my money back for sure.

I'm also worried that even though there may be nothing wrong software/hardware (ie - RROD, something corrupt, scratched discs), that the XBOX 360 may be banned from XBOX 360 LIVE, which would make playing BF3 completely useless, and any other game online impossible.

So, the final question is, does this sound like some kind of scam? Something too good to be true?

Is $240 too little for a 250GB XBOX 360, w/ two controllers, and 7-8 games?

The emails we have exchanged have all been casual. We have agreed to meet in person. I believe I will be testing the xbox 360 aswell. My main concern is that it has been banned.

The price for this xbox brand new is $299.99 CAD.

Thanks for any insight.
Advertisement

#79760 by Bubbles Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:02 am
How is the person wanting to receive payment? If it is by Western Union, it is a scam. If it is by MoneyGram, it is a scam. If they want you to pay without seeing the item, I would be very careful.

As you point out, whenever you buy a used item online, there is a potential to get something which does not work or is not what was advertised. Personally, I would only buy something I could see function as I expect it to, or something that is from an authorized dealer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#79762 by Zoltron_i2ook Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 am
I will be paying with cash. This site offers no online method of payment (paypal etc)

I mentioned in my emails with him that I would like to test it. He hasn't said yes or no, no acknowledgements, or anything like that, but if I cannot test it, I will not even consider buying it.

Thanks for the insight! :D
#79802 by moggy Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:48 am
read this link.
http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/12/ea-bans ... -to-cheat/
Al though i dont know if they were PC bans or Game console bans.
With a ban / especially on a PC game the game`s CD key is globally banned and in the past have heard of a hardware ban although rare.
Glitches in the games are usually made good via a patch for the game.
BTW BF3 for PC requires windows 7 because of the latest direct x, it will not run on windows XP.
If you test it and all is good you may have a good deal.