Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#80551 by charlene025 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 am
<[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

It is me Laura thanks for getting back to me I want to buy this but the only way i can pay you is via a Bank Certified Check that i would mail to you using the FedEx overnight delivery,

To make sure that everything goes smoothly i would wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done, I would be responsible for the pickup and it would be done by the movers and their payment would be included in the check i mail to you and this is all due to my disability (am deaf) and it makes it hard for me deal with this and it makes the transaction better and quicker.

I know you were not expecting this and I would have loved to come for the viewing but i cant I really want it and am offering an extra $50 for you to delete the posting to show i want it as i am just settling into my new house i want good deals to furnish the apartment i stay in.

if you are okay with this please send me extra pictures and get back to me with the following

Your Full name
Your Physical address (as FedEx does not deliver to P.oboxes)

I await your response . thank you and stay blessed
Advertisement

#83638 by hall_220 Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:01 pm
Fake check scammer still at it:

Hello,

It is me Laura thanks for getting back to me I want to buy this but the only way i can pay you is via a Bank Certified Check that i would mail to you using the FedEx overnight delivery,

To make sure that everything goes smoothly i would wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done, I would be responsible for the pickup and it would be done by the movers and their payment would be included in the check i mail to you and this is all due to my disability (am deaf) and it makes it hard for me deal with this and it makes the transaction better and quicker.

I know you were not expecting this and I would have loved to come for the viewing but i cant I really want it and am offering an extra $50 for you to delete the posting to show i want it as i am just settling into my new house i want good deals to furnish the apartment i stay in.

if you are okay with this please send me extra pictures and get back to me with the following

Your Full name

Laura McCray
#83642 by TyZkid Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm
I just got this one from here tonight ..01/29/2012

Hello,

Your Full name

Laura McCray
#83653 by Bubbles Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:36 am
Welcome to ScamWarners TyZkid and thank you for posting this information. The check would be forged and once you put it in your account, your would be the one on the hook for the forgery and any fees, including possible involvement with the police.

If the scammer used a different email address, please post it.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#83742 by Jcenestant Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 am
Thank god im not an idiot I recieved this email and it just didnt click right with me

Eadberto Sanchez [email protected]
8:34 AM (14 minutes ago)

to me

Thanks for your prompt response towards my request to your item,I'm Okay with your saying price for the item.I resides in Utah but I actually want to buy the item as an awesome Birthday gift for my son,Honestly I would have love to come around your area and see the condition of the item and as well pay you off but due to the distance and the hectic condition of my job so i couldn't make it,I will be paying you through PayPal or money order.I will like you to send me your PayPal invoice, your PayPal identification email or your full name and contact home address for payment... I will provide you my sons shipping information for shipment as soon as the payment is sent. I will be paying you the sum of ($150 USD) for cost price and shipping fee, Shipping will be through USPS Express Mail.i want you to delete this ad from craigslist and consider this item sold to me..Please i need the information very fast so that i can send the payment to enable you ship the Packages fast Thanks for your anticipated co-operation.

Remain Blessed,
#85853 by ladyvix Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm
Hi all... I went through a very similar experience with this same named person via Craigslist. After receiving a check via FEDEX for $2,500 (for a $300 item) I did a google search, which led me to this thread and forum.

It's really sad that people do this kind of thing, since this waste of time has really hurt me financially the week that I'm moving.

AFTER REVIEWING OUR EMAIL INTERACTION, THE ASSOCIATED EMAILS USED ARE:
"Laura Mccray" <[email protected]>,
"Laura Mccray" <[email protected]>,

Hello,

Your Full name

#85888 by Bubbles Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 am
Welcome to ScamWarners ladyvix and thank you for posting this up. The check would be a forgery and you would get in trouble with your bank and in most cases the police.

If you receive anything, you can turn it over to the police with all of the packaging it comes in, including the emails you have received. You can destroy the forgery or deface it so you could not be held liable if it were discovered in your possession.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#101767 by Mia14 Sun May 13, 2012 12:54 pm
That would be me regarding the post by ladyvix...or if it's duplicate..I got the same response for a chair she wants on craigslist...I just deleted the ad per her request...nice mothers day news! What should I do....and I assume from you all this is for sure a scam...and I would be responsible for forgery if I deposit check? Thanks
#101772 by Helen Halper Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, Mia14!
Sorry about this bad Mother's Day news, but thankfully you found out the truth before you lost money.

I assume from you all this is for sure a scam...and I would be responsible for forgery if I deposit check?

Yes, that is correct. The best thing to do now is to stop contact with the scammer and sell your chair to someone locally who will pick it up and pay cash.

#106516 by YeeP Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm
Glad I found this. I was surprised to get such a quick response to my add.
------------------------
Email From: Laurais Mccrayxx <[email protected]>

Email sent to me:
Hello,

Is this item still available for sale? My name is Laura and I want to buy this please let me know if you it still is

Thank you.
----------------------

Thanks for the help all! :beer:
#107966 by jeannebean Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm
SHE HAS A NEW EMAIL AND NAME!!! This is the email I got today for some things i posted. I thought it was a little weird so i looked it up and found this thread. Thanks guys!

she also uses these two new email addresses: [email protected] and [email protected]
Hello,

This is Jennifer, Thanks for getting back to me I want to buy this but the only way i can pay you is via a Bank Certified Check that i will mail to you using FedEx overnight delivery

To make sure that everything goes smoothly i would wait for the check to clear before the pickup is done, I would be responsible for the pickup and it will be done by the movers and their payment will be included in the check i mail to you and this is all due to my disability (am deaf) and it makes it hard for me deal with this and it makes the transaction better and quicker.

Your Full name
Your Physical address (as FedEx does not deliver to P.o.boxes)

Jennifer Thompson
#109837 by jess47304 Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm
I just got this from her. The email address I got is [email protected]

Hello,

It is me Laura thanks for getting back to me I want to buy this but the only way i can pay you is via a Bank Certified Check that i would mail to you via USPS delivery service,

Your Full name
Your Physical address

#110041 by ohlookchicken Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:00 pm
I received the exact same email from her yesterday, word for word. I posted a set of bunkbeds on craigslist and she responded to me via an email like that. I googled her name and found this site with information about her. Thank you for saving me from a big mistake. Shortly afterwards I received another email that was worded similarly but it was from a person calling themselves Jim Peters; dont know if there is a connection but I assume so.
#110622 by Juanrm2112 Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 pm
Here is one of the emails I got...

I did make sure this person knew i knew himabout the scam.

[size=85]Hello Piedad,

How are you doing today? I just wanted to let you know that the check will be delivered today via Ups thanks for your honesty towards this transaction so far. Well, the overpayment is meant to cover the cost of shipment for the item alongside my other properties including tax and insurance plus the movers and agent fees. 

Please deposit the check today so that it clears tomorrow after the check has cleared,All you have to do is go the bank and have the rest of the money withdrawn in cash and have it sent to the movers via Money gram

Name : Susana Thoeun
Address : 125 N. Los Angeles St.
City : Los Angeles
state : CA
Zip code : 90012

Do let me know your schedule for the week regarding pickup as i have some other properties to be moved alongside the item. Please do act accordingly as agreed after deducting your money for the item, make the rest fund available to the movers via money gram at any of their outlet around you or check on www.moneygram.com {click find location} and check for their outlets around and get back to me with the transfer details below (as it appears on the receipt) so i can contact the movers for the pick-up at your location ....Deduct the money gram transfer charges from my fund also $50 for yourself (meant for any hassle or run around).

1} Sender’s name and address
2} Reference number which is the 8 digits reference on the Money gram receipt
3} Actual amount sent after the fee had been deducted
4} Scanned copy of the receipt or picture if possible

Hope i can trust you with the overpayment? Your Honesty and transparency will be appreciated.

I await your response, Thank you

Jennifer Thompson

Your Tracking Information  
Last Scan: 6/27/2012 8:35:00 AM OUT FOR DELIVERY MIAMI, FL US
MIAMI, FL US
Carrier: UPS
Service: NEXT DAY AIR SAVER
Expected: Jun. 27, 2012 3:00 PM
UPS Tracking Number: 1Z7321121395600104
[/size]