Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#91076 by penelope21 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 am
Another scammer on Craigslist.

Her email came from "Lisa" using [email protected] but when you reply, the email goes to [email protected].

Email read:
Hi!

I am buying this! I love it because it is the perfect gift for my son. I won't be able to see it, I would just send you a money order for the quoted price and a mover would pick it up a week after you have the payment. Let me know. My number is (201) 381-4892, don't bother calling because am speech impaired so text me or email is better.

Lisa

Unbelievable that these people think they are dealing with idiots who fall for this stuff!

BEWARE:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Last edited by Con Warner on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed repetitive email addresses.
Advertisement

#148766 by clandiv Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 pm
I also got contacted for her due to a Craigslist ad I posted. Her emails read as follows:

First email:
Hi! If you can come down a little on the price of this furniture, I would gladly buy as a gift for my son. Of course, I would have loved to call you to arrange and finalize but I am hearing impaired so I rely on email and am waiting for your reply...

Nothing highly suspicious so far; But then second email came:
Thanks so much. I appreciate your quick response. I am sorry but I have been away with my family over the weekend. We went out of town and just got back few hours ago. I have decided to move forward with the purchase of this furniture. Please, is there something new you need to tell me about its condition? If yes, kindly let me know because,I won't be able to see it as I have a surgery appointment scheduled for this week but I need to get this picked up and delivered asap. I think it would make a great gift for my son moving into a new place of his own and becoming a man. I know many people would like it so I will send a check for the originally quoted price and I want you to keep it for me. The furniture is going out of state with other sets so I would include the shipping fee on the check and send the movers after you have the check deposited and cleared. If we are moving ahead, kindly, email me the name and address for the check. Please, take your ad down because, I really want this furniture.
Last edited by Bubbles on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#149500 by vibhusha28 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 pm
I got the same email as yours.

First email was like:
Hi! If you can come down a little on the price of this furniture, I would gladly buy as a gift for my son. Of course, I would have loved to call you to arrange and finalize but I am hearing impaired so I rely on email and am waiting for your reply...

Lisa
-----------------------------------------------------------
I turned her down for negotiation ,then I got this reply:

Thanks so much. I appreciate your quick response.I have decided to move forward with the purchase of this furniture. Please, is there something new you need to tell me about its condition? If yes, kindly let me know because,I won't be able to see it as I have a surgery appointment scheduled for this week but I need to get this picked up and delivered asap. I think it would make a great gift for my son moving into a new place of his own and becoming a man. I know many people would like it so I will send a check for the originally quoted price and I want you to keep it for me. The furniture is going out of state with other sets so I would include the shipping fee on the check and send the movers after you have the check deposited and cleared. If we are moving ahead, kindly, email me the name and address for the check. Please, take your ad down because, I really want this furniture.

Lisa
----------------------------------------------------------

Luckily I googled for scams before I'd made any deals with.
I guess no one wud give her furniture unless they get money in their hands. Dont know what is she upto.
#149509 by Jillian Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:01 am
Welcome, and thanks for posting this information.

vibhusha28 wrote:I guess no one wud give her furniture unless they get money in their hands. Dont know what is she upto.

The scam involves a fake check, with the scammer also playing the role of the supposed shipper/movers. Here is the key to the scam:

The furniture is going out of state with other sets so I would include the shipping fee on the check and send the movers after you have the check deposited and cleared.

The scammer has no interest in the items for sale. He'll send a fraudulent check for over the asking price, with the overage supposedly going to pay the movers. The scammer will play the role of the movers, have the victim deposit the check and wire the overage through Western Union or Money Gram. The check will eventually be returned as fraudulent and the victim will be out the money. The scammer will have whatever monies were wired, the "overage".
For more info on check scams, please see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237

Please note that the scammer says "after the check has cleared". Banks make money available to you within a certain number of days of depositing a check, but that is only provisional clearance. You are always responsible for all checks you deposit, even after provisional clearance. It may take some time, especially with checks forged on stolen account info, but when the check IS returned as fraudulent, you are held financially responsible.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners