Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#155457 by engli7 Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:27 pm
Boots wrote:Hi all

Been looking at buying a camper van, seen a very cheap almost half price perfect van today. its a classified ad on ebay, looking for a private sale but through ebay so their offering ebay buyer protection and want to start the transaction... Ebay DO NOT OFFER buyer protection on these sales.. they are going to send me a FAKE ebay transaction page for me to send the money and then deliver the van because its in the middle of scotland. Aberfeldy, United Kingdom. I nearly got done by a similar scam last month in spain.. the van details are as follows reg ND02 LHN . VW TRANSPORTER T4 2.5 TDI POP TOP CAMPER VAN. scammer email is [email protected] goes by the name of Denise . Blue camper perfect condition 102000 miles..

Hi Boots, have just been emailing with very same person about same van! "Denise" was v keen to get "start transaction" and evasive, not giving phone number etc which made me suspicious. Your post seems to confirm it. Ad is still up there and "she" has 100% feedback rating on eBay. What made u certain it was scammer?
Advertisement

#155535 by began steele Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 am
And you can just make a few fake profiles and vote for yourself. Scammers often have a whole batch of "friends" in profiles to appear credible. This is no exception.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#157553 by georgegg Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm
also caught by 'sarah' paid the money no car was to be a surprise for daughter in law we are not familiar with the ways of ebay and trusted what appeared to be genuine invoice,
the more I tell this story the dumber I feel now just want to warn others and see what responses barclays come up with, their fraud unit call centre is in india and have had different answers every time I call
#160629 by yasmiin.ox Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 pm
Dont know if my comment actually posted but this person is still in motion.
Now advertising on a website called farming ads, claiming exact same stories but now her husband has died hence fast sale.
Very eager to get the sale going through a.s.a.p

If it wasnt for you lot my great uncle and aunt would be out of pocket now of £5000

Linda Thornton ([email protected]) <<<< E-mail address being used,
#160630 by yasmiin.ox Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm
Hello everyone,
Just to let you know, this scammer is still in motion.
She/he used the story.
"Her husband had died hence fast sale"
All e-mails we received were along the same lines as what everyone has posted on here all ready.
The website that she was using was farming ads. she was claiming to sell a tractor that also was all ready being advertised on there as well. So two adverts for the same vehicle.

The email that she/he was using was Linda Thornton ([email protected])

Can't believe some one is still getting away with this.

If it wasn't for all you guys, me great aunt and uncle would be out of pocket by £5000 now.

THANKS EVERYONE ~(:
#161440 by sjdobbins Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 am
Hi this scammer is also the Caravan Club Classifieds. If something is a bargain beware. I replied to a Caravan add and got this reply.

Hi, i`m the owner of the van you were interested in buying few days ago. I was away with my son and I just got to see your email.
This van has a full service history and all documentation is present including CRIS, all registered in my name I did the change of name just a few weeks ago. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it and an unpaid mortgage that is due next week. The final price is not negotiable: £2999. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it including a HPI check, they have checked and saw that theres no finance or other problems with it. In this sale I will include all the accesories that we have it it. eg. gas bottle, water tank, new awning that we didn`t even unpacked £300 value and a lot more.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

Sent Email back stating my suspiciouns at this i must veiw now awaiting reply
Last edited by Bubbles on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#162375 by Bluevanman Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 am
Hi, Its my first post so please be gentle! I was offered a boat for £3000 by the same person (Linda [email protected]) The boat was worth double the asking price and to obtain it was the same procedure (via ebay link to classified ad with buyer protection etc.) I nearly fell for it untill I googled her email address and found this site. She said her husband had died and left her with the boat and a big mortgage. I felt very sorry for her. I wonder if it is a scam? Its too good to be true so cannot be! Free transport as well ! Has anyone else (apart from the camper van offer) had any dealings with her?
#162376 by Bluevanman Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:27 am
Re. [email protected] The domain address is United States. Thank you for the information about the tractor and campervan. I could have been £3000 worse off If I had not read them and gone ahead in the boat purchase!
#162786 by anorrington Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am
Seems that [email protected] could be the same person:

Hi,
i`m the owner of the van you were interested in buying few days ago. I was away with my son and I just got to see your email.
This van has a full service history and all documentation is present and in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. Mot until december 2013 and taxed till octomber very low miles. The final price is not negotiable: £6400. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it but I don`t even have a drivers license. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Thank you

Followed up with:

As I said earlier with that fake buyer and those notes I`m not really prepared to allow anyone else came near to my house Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program.
I'm going to list it as a private auction on ebay and then send you the link, you will need to click on buy it now and just follow the instructions sent to you by ebay. As soon as they will confirm that to me I am going to start the delivery through shiply.com as ebay has instructed me. Once you receive it you have two options. Option 1: You will tell ebay I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When ebay will get you registered in the buyer protection program please let me know so I can send you the link to my auction.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you
#169831 by dazzy1975united Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 am
[email protected] is still at it this time on wakefields friday ads http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/wakefield/ho ... -YI319D6G1 replied to her or him a few times same email as above

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email.
This van has a full service history and all documentation is present and in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is 9 months MOT and taxed for 11 months with very low miles. The final price is not negotiable: £5900. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it but I don`t even have a drivers license. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Thank you

If it sounds to good to be true its because it usually is.
#169865 by began steele Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm
It's the UK so watch out for the spelling. I won't say much but nobody in UK spells like that --just so scammers stay ignorant and bad at it.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#180016 by lotuselise Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:20 pm
Looks like this scam is reappearing, note the similarities between the e-mail I received 10/30/13 in the US and this one 3/26/12 in I presume the UK. This site saved me. Thank you!

Report this postReply with quoteRe: VW Campervan on EBay
by Gaudion1 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 am

Hi there this scam is not just on Ebay but Autotrader as well. I was trying to buy a VW T5 last night and had exactly the same emails as you, but she Joanne.Hughes77@hotmail wants the money done by Google transactions. The penny dropped with me quite quickly as a. the van was way to cheap, b. she would deliver from Dundee to Wales for FREE and she said she was being posted to Afghanistan which no real service person would put in an email. a quick search on google brought up this site and saved me from making an expensive mistake. I have informed the police, but doubt they can do anything to protect future purchasers, I have not parted with any money thank goodness. for the time being I just wasting "jonannes time by asking stupid questions" till she works out the autotrader have taken her advert off.

This is the e-mail I received back from my caranddriver.com inquiery. They apparently lifted the name Sharon Crosser and station from Face Book.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sgt. Sharon Crosser
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: 2005 Lotus Elise $17,200

Hello,
I'm sorry for my late reply but I was unable to check my email earlier. I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in any accidents.
It has no leaks or drips and does not smoke at all, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions with a clear title free of encumbrances and liens. It was my father's but unfortunately he can't use it anymore as he died 3 month ago. Owned by a mature 60 year old man.
At the moment I’m stationed at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana making final preparations before deploying to Afghanistan with the U.S. Convoy. The car is here with me… but you don`t have to worry because the shipping is free.
I have dropped my price to $17,200 (purchase price) since this is an Urgent Sale! and I need to sell it before November 10th, when I will be deployed in Afghanistan with my platoon replacing the troops scheduled to come home.
The financial part will be managed by Google Wallet, which means that you will have a 5 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so if you intend to apply for a loan or financing please do not reply to this message.
I will send you more photos if you want to.

Hope to hear from you soon!

--
S
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sgt. Sharon Crosser
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: 2005 Lotus Elise $17,200

Hi again,
Please take a few moments and read my email carefully, I know it is long, but I will explain all the details about the car and the transaction.I'm doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want.
First of all please check the album, pictures tell 1000 words so here they are: http://img12.imageshack.us/slideshow/we ... d=v5p2.jpg
The car is already at our Military Logistic Department in Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana, crated and ready to go. The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The shipping is free for you. Since the car is in a military base, with no access you can not go there and take it, only the Logistic Department can deliver it, because it is in their custody.
All documents you need for ownership, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the car .
For the payment I would like to use Google Wallet as a third party using their Google Safe Pay Solutions (bank-to-bank wire transfer) for vehicles. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the car and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep it. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the car before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 5 days to inspect it. If you decide not to keep it Google Wallet will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won’t be the case. I think this is more than fair for both of us.
I'll start the official procedure, and Google Wallet will contact you about this. If you are interested in buying it just mail me back with:
- Your Full Name – Required by Google Checkout (You’ll receive important guidelines + instructions from them.)
- Your Shipping Address and Phone Number – Required by the Logistic Department (They will call you with delivery/pickup instructions 1 day ahead so you can communicate what time schedule work best for your to receive the car)
#180021 by TerranceBoyce Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners lotuselise.

Thanks for showing us the first US version of this scam we've seen. It's very obviously the same gang and they've just adapted their script for the USA. You can certain that they'll be filling your ad sites with these scam ads covering everything from Cadillacs to tractors, and construction machinery to Harley Davidson Motorbikes.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#208272 by Gvieve22 Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:14 pm
Same thing happened to us today but the guy advertised a VW transporter on Piston Heads website (advertises cars for sale) and wanted us to use Google Wallet to transfer money.....luckily I looked into it and found out it was a scam before we went any further. BE WARNED!

I pretended I had an uncle in Edinburgh who could go and see it before arranging payment.....didn't hear from the fraudster again....

Below is a copy of the last email he sent to me.

As I've said in my previous email I am in Edinburgh , Scotland in a military base, getting ready for New Zealand ( for the first time so i am very excited ). I'm doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The delivery will take 2 to 3 days depending on your location and it's not a problem because I can do it at no cost for you. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like Google Wallet because I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Google Safe Pay Solutions (bank-to-bank wire transfer) for vehicles.

The money will be sent to Google Wallet, before you will receive the vehicle. So, you will deposit the payment directly into the Google Wallet agent's bank account in United Kingdom, either online or at most banks and they will hold and secure your money during the entire transaction. I repeat, they will hold and insure your money until receipt of the vehicle in good condition and will release the funds to us only after you decide to keep the vehicle and you register it, into your name. You will have an inspection period of 10 days. In this time you can check, test and inspect the vehicle. If by any reason (the vehicle has any hidden damages or is not like I describe it) you can reject the deal. In this case Google Wallet will refund you totally and they will deliver the vehicle back.
You can read more about Google Wallet by searching this link in your browser :

http://wallet.google.escrow.csatnet.com ... #how-works

Please let me know your delivery details (your full name, full address and home phone number) so I can open a transaction case with Google Wallet and declare you as buyer. They will contact you with further information regarding payment and delivery.

Regards,
Stephen Morrison