Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#133658 by Kinder Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:21 pm
Had another e-mail on Monday... although had asked to view at weekend. nomention of that.
Here is the e-mail I got today.. am thinking lets go along with it and waste there time abit more.. but need a false e-mail and mobile number!!! oh well. :?

[i]Since the last buyer came with 50 pound fake notes I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer/Seller Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program:

- I'll make the private listing on eBay for you,

- you go and buy it through their website,

- you have to pay for the item to eBay so they can secure the funds,

- they confirm me that they received the funds,

- I`ll start the delivery

- When you confirm to ebay that you received it, you have two options. Option 1: I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the delivery. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When you will be registered ebay will get back to you with the rest of the steps

Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you[/i]

So looked up on e-bay and Vehicles aren't covered... Don't be fooled these people just want your money and you will not recieve anything.

using the name Debra Massey // [email protected]
Advertisement

#133678 by Oliverzed Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Got this email today. Thought I should post it case anyone is doing a search on this text. The husband dying is presumably a sympathy thing. Definitely a scam judging by the thread. I might try and drag it out for fun. :) will keep you posted...

From [email protected] via trade it Bristol.

Hello, We were celebrating my son exams, sorry for the delay.
The van is still for sale and its in Immaculate condition, no damages, no damp, nothing to worry about. My husband died and left me with it. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the van on eBay Motors for the £3665 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you.
In case you are not familiar with them just tell me you are interested and I`ll ask them to send you the same certificate they sent me and you will see that they cover 100% the transaction done through them up to £50,000. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you
#133764 by Oliverzed Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:36 pm
Hi

The saga continues: We have had a few email exchanges... read from the bottom... :)

Dear Debra

Firstly I want to say that I am really interested in the van. In fact, you seem like an honest person, so I was wondering if you would accept more money for the van than advertised? I don't think you realise but you have advertised it really cheaply. Perhaps you would take £5000? Let me know if you would like more than that. I want to pay a fair price.

Wow. That's terrible. So he gave you the fake notes and then took your van? Or did you realise the notes were fake and then not sell the van? Hang on, does he now have the van? Can I have his address? Cos I really want the van.

I didn't know you are in Dundee. It doesn't say that in the emails. I can meet you at a neutral location if you prefer. They say that people have neutral feelings about Bognor Regis. That is... if you didn't sell the van to the guy with the fake notes. They could have been Scottish notes. Maybe that's why the police didn't do anything. I used a Northern Irish note in a kebab shop once and the guy didn't want to take it - but then he did in the end.

By the way. Would you be interested in buying a Mercedes Benz - it's really beautiful?

So how do I transfer you the money for the van?

Kind regards

O

On 13 Nov 2012, at 13:39, Debra Massey wrote:

I reported him to the police but he still got away with it.
I`m in Dundee all ready told you. He died at the end of september. I have all ready told you that viewing is no an option. I don`t want to get anymore calls at midnight asking if I`m alone and other problems. I`m tired or watching over my shoulder because of dubious people. The only way I can proceed with this is through ebay. I wont get 1 penny in advance. They will hold the funds until you receive and inspect. Nothing before.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Oliver wrote:
Dear Debra

I see. I can understand that you must be nervous about cash now. You can never be too careful. How did you work out they were fake notes?

The van looks great in the photos - I'd like to view it. Where is it based? I can travel to wherever the van is.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband - when did he die? I would like to send my condolences - what address can I send flowers to?

Kind regards

Oliver

On 13 Nov 2012, at 10:22, Debra Massey wrote:

Since the last buyer came with 50 pound fake notes I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer/Seller Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program:

- When you confirm to ebay that you received it, you have two options. Option 1: I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the delivery. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When you will be registered ebay will get back to you with the rest of the steps
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Oliver wrote:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Where is the van? I can come and view it.

Thanks

Oliver

On 12 Nov 2012, at 23:59, Debra Massey <[email protected]> wrote:

The van is still for sale and its in Immaculate condition, no damages, no damp, nothing to worry about. My husband died and left me with it. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the van on eBay Motors for the £3665 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you.
In case you are not familiar with them just tell me you are interested and I`ll ask them to send you the same certificate they sent me and you will see that they cover 100% the transaction done through them up to £50,000. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Thank you

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Message from oliver, sent using "Email advertiser" form on trade-it site
Ad url: http://www.trade-it.co.uk/vans-and-truc ... 53750.html

Hi

Can I come and view the van? Based in Bristol, could view tomorrow.

Thanks

Oliver
#133843 by Kinder Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm
Oliver..
You cracked me up, would you mind if I copy your e-mails andsend them to "Debra" as I think i might enjoy seeing what the replies are..
Genius.
Only thing is the van was advertised in Cornwall.. abit far from Dundee..
But would be good to waste some more time!!
Thanx
Kinder :twisted:
#134710 by gapant Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Almost got taken in by [email protected] went by the name of Caty. We were looking at buying a touring caravan & almost parted with £7500 but was not happy depositing the money in the Barclay's account via Paypal. Is there anything that can be done about this if these people are making a living out of deceiving other people out of their money?
#135872 by EricTheFish Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 am
I enquired about a boat which looked a bit too good to be true.....

Deborah M [email protected]

13:34 (1 hour ago)

to me
Its still for sale. Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had it also includes the trailer. All necessary documents available. I just moved back to Dundee after the death of my husband, I was left with the boat. Price £3995 delivered at my costs. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the boat on eBay Motors for the £3995 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed delivery without any additional costs for you.
In case you are not familiar with them just tell me you are interested and I`ll ask them to send you the same certificate they sent me and you will see that they cover 100% the transaction done through them up to £50,000. You will receive the boat with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Thank you

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Email Enquiry from BoatsAndOutboards relating to the following advert:

PAA60828 - Valiant DR 500 Rib-Including 50hp Evinrude E-Tec+Trailer - £ 3995.00
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA60828
#146755 by stiggy Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm
Hi all,
I've just had the same paul54fowler with a boat advertised on gumtree...
Same old story I'm afraid. A boat for sale which seemed really cheap etc.. after a few emails he/she/it offered a link to an ebay auction to buy it now.. bank transfer..you know the drill.

I've got lots of extra info.. but this sounds like there are quite a few people involved in this..

You need people to run the bank accounts, emails etc

bank info on this one

Account holder , IONUT MERTICARU

Sort code 20-71-75

Account number 43203298

The thing is, I did a search with his ad wording and found the ad was used in ad-trader in august last year. Identical pics etc.. the ad came with a phone number 01494 488112 which is a Hemel Hampsted number.
The post code in the 'view map' option was SE4 $AE .. nothing.. except this is the same postcode used with the finance centre business address in my eBay link..
I did the usual google search on his email and it seems there are romance frauds etc also.. I have email copies of id , passport,driving licence that he sent..
Whats weird is that even after I sent mails basically 'busting' him he still persists that he is a genuine seller..
I had my friend email him asking if he had a boat for sale and he has entered into the same process with them.. I for one will not let this go now..
#147421 by yamaha Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 am
Hi

I fell for it and have lost money.
I feel absolutley gutted and sick. What a stupid thing to do.

The same person: Account holder , IONUT MERTICARU

Sort code 20-71-75

Account number 43203298

what the hell are Barclays doing about it.
They need to made accountable. :twisted:
#147666 by cabbage lookin' Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm
Found 2 more of these same scams over the weekend, advertising Kon Tiki motorhomes in various online publications.
[email protected] from "Gordon Barracks Camp Aberdeen"
Word for word "off to Afganistan" tale again, this time asking for Google Checkout and Google Safe Pay Solutions.

And

[email protected]
Working in Scotland yada yada yada
pushing for the ebay listing option.

Both on the hook as we speak!!
#147668 by thehitchuk Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm
Hi All,

I've had the same line from [email protected]

Interestingly, they've gone to the trouble of nicking the name of a director at a recruitment company and using their address to register the 'torbox.co.uk' domain name.

But their husband has died, so let's have some sympathy.

I haven't responded again, but if you go to http://www.ham101.com you can see four pre-prepared fake ebay pages that encourage the victim to wire transfer money to a Barclays account:

Account Name: K. kilunasz
Bank Account Number: 73166481
Bank Sort Code: 20-29-77
Bank Name: Barclays Bank
Bank address: London, United Kingdom

http://www.ham101.com is registered to the address of a music shop in Manchester - Vinyl Exchange.

That's all my digging. Happy shopping...

Cheers.

M.
#147677 by Mike Wilson Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm
The website www.ham101.com is in the process of being reported for fraud.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#147747 by Hobbit1 Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 am
I have just had the same scam (on going) tried on me with a caravan advertised on Friday adds. Word for word on the last couple of e-mails.

Its in immaculate condition without any damage internally or externally. It has its habitation check in order, and full service history, all the documentation registered in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. My husband died and left me with it. I will list it on ebay on eBay Motors for the £3400 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it including a HPI check.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

Then

Since the last buyer came with 50 pound fake notes I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer/Seller Protection Program. Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program:

Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

And last one an hour ago

I have all ready told you that viewing is no an option. I don`t want to get anymore calls at midnight asking if I`m alone and other problems. I`m tired or watching over my shoulder because of dubious people. The only way I can proceed with this is through ebay. I wont get 1 penny in advance. They will hold the funds until you receive and inspect. Nothing before.

This is scary as I'm a little bit too trusting and was falling for it until I asked my daughter-in-law to look at them. I did google the email add. That's how I found this site, thank you cos I was shocked to see same words
#147754 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 am
If the seller won't let you see what you're buying then that's clear enough warning that they're planning to scam you. How can you expect to sell a motor vehicle without the buyer ever actually seeing it or hearing the engine turn over ?

If she/he has such security concerns then she shouldn't sell things through websites. That's not your problem.

You have the money. If the seller can't comply with your requirements then you are foolish if you don't walk away.

Do you have the registration number of the vehicle ? There may be a very quick way to stamp on this scam.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#147757 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 am
Any suggestion by the seller that their vehicle is covered by the eBay buyer protection scheme is alone enough to confirm it as a scam. Ebay specifically exclude motor vehiclees from their scheme.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html#exclusions1

Exclusions from eBay Buyer Protection

The eBay Buyer Protection Policy does not cover services and some kinds of goods; false, abusive or illegitimate claims; or purchases where you have been or may be compensated by a third party. eBay reserves the right to decide if items that are or may be prohibited or restricted by eBay policies are covered. The following purchases are excluded:

Items listed or that should be listed (under our listing policy) in these categories:
Real Estate
Vehicles (including, without limitation, motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats, tractors and ride-on lawnmowers)
Businesses & Websites for Sale
Classified listings on eBayclassifieds.com or eBay.com

I haven't quoted the full list.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle