Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#106625 by vespaboy Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 am
As you will see from previous posting I was conned by Mr Neale, I regret to advise that anyone who thinks the police or Action Fraud will help are sadly wrong. My solicitor advises that the best step to take is to keep writing to Barclays Bank giving details of the false accounts, with copies to the Financial Onbudsman as all the transactions are undertaken by this one bank. Without a bank or Ebay (who dont want to know) this could never happen. Also as said by others if you could also write or contact Watchdog they might, if enough of us report it, take an interested. This man has got to be stopped as to my knowledge this scam has been operating since 2008 and perhaps before. Sincere sorry to all the other victims we know how you feel.
Advertisement

#109687 by Macis3 Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 pm
Hi All,

Latest one from John Neale, I replied to an item on ebay as it looked good value and left my email address for some photos to be sent, the item was removed the next day and I receved an email asking if I was still interested in the bike, I said I was and receved the following response:

photos:
http://s1079.photobucket.com/albums/w51 ... Condition/

Due to my location and since view is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works:

- you give me your full name and shipping address

- I start the transaction with the eBay,

- they send further payment instructions,

- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,

- they confirm me that they received the funds,

- I deliver the bike,

- you receive the bike,

- they send me the money.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the bike in good order.

Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

John

This loooked suspect from the start and contacted ebay direct to find out if it was a scam, they couldnt confirm either way but said that they do not offer the payment service for motor vehicles. Fortunately I had the inclination to search his email address and found this site. So thank you for your postings which saved me from parting with £3000
#109777 by bigman Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 am
Hi
I have just been turned over for £5000 by this mob. I just cant believe that I fell for it but I did. the only difference is that the name was Lisa Neale. All the other details are the same. The recipient was the same l. Bunea in Barclays London.
They don't even go to the bother of changing their e mails. It's just one template that they cut and paste with a new name.
I feel like a prime idiot and apart from that, losing the money has severe consequences for me and my family.
I find it difficult to comprehend why Barclays, who now know of criminal activity by an account holder allow it to continue. When I realised I had been stitched up I thought that I was the only one and that these scammers would use a different account for each transaction. I'm shocked that this guy can have 1 account and use it repeatedly to carry out fraud. Why don't Barclays act on this? I think that Barclays have a duty of care to ensure that transactions are legal.
When I talked to the police, they suspect that it's an eastern European gang operating in London. But of course these days the money could end up anywhere and almost impossible to trace.
I am gutted, ashamed, angry. Why did I not check the authenticity of the e bay web site before I went to the bank? I checked when I got back and it was so obviously fake I could have punched myself in the face. I went to all the trouble of doing an HPI check on the vehicle which came back clean. No surprise there because it was never really for sale.
#111333 by buyer1purchaser2 Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm
I purchased a Mercedes vito Dualiner Reg. FG56LTE off Catherine Neale (Caty <[email protected]>) at same address, 19 Grange Road, Dundee, Angus, DD5 4LU, Scotland, paying £4,000 on Tuesday 26 June 2012 into the account of:
Mr M. Tomescu, Barclays, Account no. 13549216, Sort Code 20-92-63, London.
No reply to emails since Thursday 27 June 2012.
I think we should all exchange emails (someone can receive them all).
This should become a complaint to [email protected] and a news item.
Barclays Banks should also pay out as they have been openly harbouring a crime ring with accounts under the names:
Mr M. Tomescu, Account no. 13549216
I. Bunea Account no. 13831965 . . .
jurgi goldberg, Accont no. 23378837, barclays bank, 53 broadway, w5 5js,
F. Marandiuc,

and ebay and/or gumtree have been allowing fraudulent users under the aliases:
and the names: John Neale, Sarah Neale, Catherine Neale; and the
user names: donni1703, sheebo123louise, sarahsale22, 9169brendon, kaysnorks65, [email protected], eddystone
and the email addresses: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected].
PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST . . attach amounts and dates and user names and emails.
#111436 by vespaboy Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 am
I have already written to Barclays Bank on three occasions since April giving them full details of all the false accounts set up by John Neale. To date I have not received a reply and Action Fraud are not interested. I have now sent copies of all the letters to the Financial Ombudsmans who did reply saying they would look into it. It sounds a very good idea for more people that have been subjected to these scams all write to Barclays with account details with copies to Ombudsman at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR. Perhaps together we can shake the Police, Action Fraud, and Barclays out of there apathy. All indications are that Barclays after all the recent disclosures are rotten to the core.
#111471 by buyer1purchaser2 Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:41 am
Mrs D.C. Sanderson at Leyton Police is currently working on it (Ph 0203 2760 966).
If she gets enough response, they will run with it.
To investigate fraud, we have to get the points system up to 20, which means, you are individuals who are hit hard by this and expressing hardship due to the fraud.

Barclays Chairman, Marcus Agius, has just resigned over rate rigging. 'Barclays Scandal, Worse and Worse ... Whatever It Is! Monday, July 02, 2012 – by Staff Report': "Another week, another banking scandal. News that Barclays has been fined £290m for trying to manipulate a key interest rate has further rocked confidence in the sector".

Barclays don't need any more bad news, but we can give it to them through watchdog.co.uk, or i can go on my regular radio show and explain how Barclays are agents to and party to the fraud, as with Gumtree.

Here are the fraudulent bank accounts supported by Barclays in the serveice of Catherine/John/Sarah Neale:
Mr M. Tomescu Account no. 13549216, sort code 20-92-63, Barclays, London
I. Bunea Account no. 13831965, sort code 20-29-41, Barclays, London (used at least twice)
jurgi goldberg Account no. 23378837, sort code 20-27-49, barclays bank, 53 broadway, w5 5js.
F. Marandiuc Account no. 43351939, sort code 20-95-61, Barclays (used at least twice)
D. Dragoi Account no: 73303136, sort Code 20-35-93, Barclays, London

If the 7 (at least) who have been scammed by Mr/Mrs Catherine/John/Sarah Neale, phone Mrs D.C. Sanderson at Leyton Police, 02032760966, that is a start.
#112445 by vespaboy Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 am
Tried to contact DC Sanderson as requested, guess what, they didnt bother to return my phone call. Do we still have to pay council tax for the police force?
#112471 by paulhes Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm
I've made this topic with all Mr. Neale and his romanian friends scams ...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43357&p=112436#p112436

Maybe some of you can help me to report all of this fraudulent items, because ebay is moving very slow and their fraudulent auctions remains up and some peoples may fell into this scams ...
#112956 by eman Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:17 am
Hi All, A friend of mine almost got caught by this lot. He asked me to help him out reguarding a VW transporter van that had been on Ebay because he was unsure how to go about the purchase. Without going into detail as I am sure you all know how you were told to do it, I duly started the process. I did not feel comfortable with the way the sale was being done,alledgedly an invoice from Ebay which did get emailed to him. I told him that I felt there seemed something not right about the sale and that I would phone Ebay ,which I did. An interesting point which may seem obvious, If you have any type of correspondence from Ebay to your personal email address IT WILL ALWAYS SHOW UP in the messages box on your Ebay account. In this case there was nothing . To cut the story if we had not done this check today he would have lost £4200.
I put the name and address of the scammer into the google bar and this site came up thats how I am here.
The details I was given were Catherine Neale, same address, Bank details for payment:- S.Lascal. Account No 93276775 Sort code 20-71-64 London and of coarse you have guessed it BARCLAYS Bank.
#113057 by wizzy12 Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm
This is still going on, on Ebay, as 2 weeks ago we replied to an ad for a Caravan on Ebay, and we had a reply off a [email protected] they tried to obtain monies from us without us seeing the caravan, as they said that the van was in Scotland, and due to work she couldn't let us see it, but if we sent monies to Ebay, she would have it delivered to us, and if we were happy, we were to contact Ebay and they would release the monies to her. I reported all of this to Ebay, trading standards and the police. Today we answered an ad on Ebay for a caravan, and guess what email address replied...... [email protected], I have yet again reported this to Ebay tonight. This person seems to be hacking peoples Ebay accounts. Please please be aware
#117077 by beendone Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm
Just been scammed out of £4k for a vw motorhome being sold by Lisa Neale from Angus. Called the police, notified bank and ebay.

Had a bad feeling when it didn't come up on Ebay. Lisa kept emailing to say a slight delay but would be with us today. I have a very upset familiy.

Our bank will investigate. Has anyone got their money back? Its the same story as the others. Learnt a painful lesson today. Just wish I had listened to my instinct. I hope they catch these theives. Over 100 people have called the number we were given. So I imagine its a huge scam. Hope Barclays sort this out. They are partaking in fraud.
#117132 by Bubbles Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners beendone. I am sorry to hear that you were scammed by this criminal. Your chances of getting the money back are small.

I hope that the bank and police will assist you. Please let us know how this works out.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#117327 by wizzy12 Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm
They are also using this email address [email protected] they are advertising Caravans on GumTree, this is the email from them.
Hello,
Its still for sale. Immaculate condition, no damages, nothing to worry about. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments,If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £5,300 delivered at my costs. Are you familiar to eBay? I will list the van on eBay Motors for the £5,300 buy it now price and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it immediate.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed delivery without any additional costs for you.
In case you are not familiar with them, please read their Buyer Protection and will see that they cover 100% the transaction done through them up to £50,000. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

They then sent me a link to a private listing page on Ebay (looks authentic but it is fake), I have contacted ebay and YES it is FAKE, I have also posted this on facebook again, and contacted the police again. The context of their emails is always very similar, and you are never able to view due to work commitments in Scotland.
These con merchants need to be caught quickly.
Last edited by Bubbles on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#121214 by hln-57 Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:27 am
Hi we were done out of £4,200 for v.w. van by Catherine Neale also. No hope of getting money back. We informed e.bay , police, bank & fraud people but they don`t expect to catch them. An expensive lesson learnt , if something looks to good to be true it probably is !
#121281 by Gourami Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm
Hi
Just discovered this forum - too late! I did post about a horsebox but it seems to have disappeared, I probably didn't post corrrectly. To cut a long story short I have just been scammed out of £4000 for a too good to be true horsebox. Exactly the same process/wording/invoice/location as 'Mr Neale' but under the name of Howard Mirek.

Feel so stupid for falling for it, but surely we must all be able to do something. I feel that Barclays are basically shielding a criminal gang. Going to try getting my money back from Barclays, have been told by my bank, HSBC, that I need to present evidence of my payment to Barclays after 7 days which will be on Monday but not hopeful.

If we need to consilidate our evidence and do something together I am more than happy to forward on m invoice, correspondence. Sure it is a gang, some messages I have had are in good english but some are obviously from someone who's first language is not english but all from Howard Mirek.

Will gather all my evidence together and plan to send to Met Police, Action Fraud, Watchdog, Barclays, Panorama etc. Lets all do the same.