Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#14954 by Ralph Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:33 am
Name used: Blay Hoops
Scam type: Credit card scam
Email address: [email protected]
Phone number: +233-201- 540- 936
+233-246- 419- 519

My details on this scammer are a little vague, it was reported to me by a concerned citizen who was fortunate to avoid sending any money.

He will contact your small (or possibly large) business website and begin to ask questions about your products and services.

He will proceed to place a large order for your products and pay for these services using a credit card.

The payment will also include a delivery component which could be over $1,000 which he wants you to send to his courier company.

The courier company he refers to is part of the same group of scammers if not the same person.

The credit card he has used is most likely a compromised card and the payment from another victims account.

Eventually, the owner of the bank account will realise that thousands of dollars are missing and contact their bank.

From there it wont be long before the bank or police contact you and ask you to explain before recovering the money placed into your account leaving you out of pocket.

This scammer is happy to talk to you on the phone and will give you this phone number +233201540936

The credit card he uses is in the name of Blay Hoops which indicates it may have been stolen from that person or that that person has had his identification used by a scammer to set himself up with a credit card and other fake identities.

The scam is not uncommon and may take a variety of twists and turns, he may cancel the order after you have received payment and request a refund or he may offer to pay by cheque and begin the cycle again as the cheque will be fake.

Please take extreme caution and if there are any doubts, please ask

Here is an example of the first contact you will receive

Sir/Madam
My name is Blay Hoops, I want to know if you carry:(the items you have advertised) , i want you to get back to me with types and price range, i want to know if you accept mastercard or visa card for payment hope you get back to me shortly so that we can procced with the order..

Blay Hoops
regards.

Adding another partial message I found by searching on a line from the above email

Hello good day sir/madam my name is mr, mack willson, i want to order radiator diesal auto kzl120r, radiator 6 cyl petrol grj120r . I want you to get back to me with types and price range. I want to know if you accept mastercard or visa card for payment h

Other examples can be seen in this search Click Here
Advertisement

#14992 by Ralph Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:11 am
I have found further details on this scam

Subject: Re: Fw: freight quote

Below is my card for the freight payment.i want you to charge $ 1400 on my cards now and go to any post office near you to pay the freight .freight $ 1250 plus transfer fee $ 150 total $ 1400.

master card 5416 3004 7309 xxxx exp date 2/2011 cvv 862

master card 5416 3004 7309 xxxx exp date 2/2011 cvv 226

.Go to any post office that has western union facility.Make sure you go there with cash $ 1400 AUD.Ask the teller you want a Western Union Money Transfer Forms
they'll give you a form to fill in the senders details and the receivers details.

Below is the receivers details

Name : BOBONU MATHIAS
Address: 419 cotton ave.,
Phone Num: +233-246- 419- 519

After you've finish fill-in the forms you'll be giving a receipt.
2.. Scan the receipt and send a copy to me OR Copy the details on the receipt from the western union

hope do this right away this morrining .

cheers.
#18875 by DMSDESIGN Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:33 pm
Received a scam attempt by the same poeple.

This thread is made to show all of you a decent attempt to scam us. It is posted so if someone does a search, hopefully the search engine will pick it up.. by the way, except for maybe 30 minutes of time spent, nothing was lost. We often do overseas sales, so sales overseas are nothing new to us

This was a pretty decent attempt to scam us and I thought I would share with all.

Recieved a email from Dr. Gregg Lipp, [email protected], phone is 233201540936. He emailed us requesting product pricing and I responded. He then asked me to contact Jeff Willson [email protected] for shipping pricing to give him a final quote.

Caller wanted parts shipped to:

ev. Jeff Hope
Gospel Church of Christ
968 Morris Street
Pagan Rd, Opera Bldg,
Tamale - Ghana

Here is the email I got back from the supposed shipping company:

Subject: RE: Investigating shipping to Africa

Thank you for the enquiry.

We are a shipping company in Ghana.We have
just completed a two-week delivery of some packages from
Taiwan,Australia, Newzeland to Ghana. After calculation, and viewing the dimensions of the unit as
specified by you ,we have gotten the freight quote for this
shipment. Below is a breakdown of the quote:
Handling and Documentation & crating:US $ 400
Shipping from location of pickup to a’ port
Shipping from a’ Port to Airport in Ghana and Customs clearance :
US$ 1000
Delivery from Ghana airport to specified address in Ghana:US$ 650
regardless of distance.
The complete total of shipping becomes: US$ 2,050.00 and moreover our
company policy is to to receive payment from the
location of pickup. Payment should be made from you. We accept
Western Union Money Transfers Only so as to make arrangements and
have everything ready on time... However, we will need to have a date
that you will like to have this unit picked..
Send funds to our accounting dept to:

Name : FRANCIS KONYI
Phone Num:+233-246- 419- 519

Email the MTCN and the test question and as soon as funds
retrieved, pickup arrangements will be scheduled via Fax right away
ASAP.
Flow Shipping Company and Logistics Manager, Flow Shipping Company

(MD) Jeff Willson

There is no info on this shipping company I could find.

The initial person who contacted me by phone called and I told him he is a scammer, and the address the shipping company gave is not the shipping company. He said he would check and call back. Just thought I would share this will all.
#18879 by Ralph Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 am
Hi DMS

Thank you for sharing, the extra information you have provided will go a long way to helping others.

It seems you have it all under control but if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#20593 by Ralph Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 am
A concerned citizen passed on information from another scammer who is trying much the same scam;

Sent: Friday, 11 December 2009 03:09
Subject: Customer Enquiry from Yellow Pages Online
Importance: High

PERSONAL DETAILS:
Sender: Dr Greg Lipp
Company: snow cup lmt

ADDRESS DETAILS:
Address:
Suburb:
Postcode:
State:

CONTACT DETAILS:
Phone: 00115686876467
Email Address: [email protected]

COMMENT:
Comment:

My name is Dr Greg Lipp and am interested in ordering removed item and i
will recommend you to a Shipping Company for the pickup at your location to the delivery address. So i will like you to quote me on the prices plus sales tax for the ones you have in stock now,so i can give you the quantities i will like to order and also proceed to payment right away.with my credit card and please do you accept master card or visa Card . Shipping to West Africa..
Hope to hear from you soon.

Dr Greg

I was also given this information regarding the scam

The names being used are: Luda Johnson, Colin Oakley & John Banker.
#20633 by tremblgu Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm
Hi,
Just to add another case : I receive an email asking for a particular item. I answer the guy and then he reply with a thank you and wish to buy 50 of them!!! what give me an hint and let me found this forums is : I already told him that the items cannot be shipped outside united states but he still asked for a delivery in germany????
Just the names and the items change...
Here's the first email :

"Good Day..I'm Mr James underwood and I would like to Purchase for xxxxxxx, I would like you to get back with me with the Price range you have in stock and also I will like to know the Major Credit Card Accepted for Payment.Hope to see ur response as soon as possible..
Mr James underwood."

Then after my reply which I said that the item cannot be shipped outside U.S. :
"I am glad to read back from you , I am interested xxxxxxxxxx
I will be purchasing (40)unite of them i want you to get back to me with total cost including freight charges from FAST SHIPPING LINE.
Company Email Address: ([email protected])
Please contact them with the information below.
1. The pick-up address
2. The delivery address
3. The total weight on this shipment
Delivery Address
Rose Freeman
Wilhelminenhofstr. 83-85
12459 Berlin
Germany

And include your pickup location and they will surely get back to you with the freight quote.As soon as they get back to you with the freight quote,then add it to the unit cost and email me with the grand total of the units including shipping all together so that i can finalize the order with my credit card.Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

With Warms Regards
James Underwood."

Well, after reading this, I'm now sure it is a scam.....

Quotes added - Michelle
#20636 by Ralph Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:12 am
Hi tremblgu

Welcome to Scamwarners.

It certainly is a scam and I am very glad you realised before losing any money.

Thank you for posting these additional details, if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.
#24349 by pussnboots Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 am
Hi everyone.
mr_torres strikes again. This time he is targeting NZ business's.Please let me share my expeience with you. He very nearly got me!!!!!

Ist email from [email protected] (has other addy like [email protected]):
hello,
My name is Mr,Jay Torres ,can you supply me (The actual item in this case does not need to be posted :wink: - Ralph) ,get back to me with types and price range also i wanna know if you accept mastercard or visa card for payment hope you get back to me shortly so that we can proceed with the order ..
Regards
Jay torres

2nd email:
Thank you very much below is my credit card now for full payment now i wont you to go ahaede and charge my card now and get back to me becuss i wont it to pickup today so cam you package them now am sending them to me wife.
i leav in NZ but am currently in AU for business trip and i will be back in NZ this weekend.i will recommend you to a freight that will come to your shop and pick them up then delivery it to my wife oversease now. name on card is JAY TORRES.

3rd email:
i want you to make enquires on the freight for me now i will like you to contact this freight company right now for the pick up this is their via email address: [email protected] contact them with the delivery address and your pick up adderss,total weight and daimention and get back to me with the details.this is the delivery address below
torres & linda sexshop
7893 royal st
0233 accra
ghana.
get back to me with the freight qoute now then we go from there.
regards..

4th email from freight company:
ATTN: customer
Thank you for the enquiry.
We are a shipping company in Ghana.We have
just completed a two-week delivery of some packages from
Taiwan,Australia, Newzeland to Ghana. After calculation, and viewing the dimensions of the unit as
specified by you ,we have gotten the freight quote for this
shipment. Below is a breakdown of the quote:
Handling and Documentation & crating:NZD 150
Shipping from location of pickup to a’ port
Shipping from a’ Port to Airport in Ghana and Customs clearance :
NZD 250
Delivery from Ghana airport to specified address in Ghana:NZD 150
regardless of distance.
The complete total of shipping becomes: NZD 550.00 and moreover our
company policy is to to receive payment from the
location of pickup. Payment should be made from you. We accept
Western Union Money Transfers Only so as to make arrangements and
have everything ready on time... However, we will need to have a date
that you will like to have this unit picked.
Send funds to our accounting dept to:
Phone Num:+233-246- 419- 519
Email the MTCN and the test question and as soon as funds
retrieved, pickup arrangements will be scheduled via Fax right away
ASAP.
Sealand Shipping Company and Logistics Manager, Sealand Shipping Company
(MD) bergg muller

5th email:
I wont you to go ahaed and charge my credit card again for xxx
Go to any post office near you that has western union facility near you.
Make sure you go there with cash xxx
Ask the teller you want a Western Union Money Transfer Forms
they'll give you a form to fill in the senders details and the receivers details.
Below is the receivers details
Phone Num: +233-246- 419- 519

After you've finish fill-in the forms you'll be giving a receipt.
Scan the receipt and send a copy to me OR Copy the details on the receipt from the western union and i will forward that to the freight and they will get back to you asap.
look forward in hearing from you soon.

THEN FROM THE SO CALLED SHIPPING COMPANY
ATTN: ???
Thanks allot for choosing Sealand shipping Company for all your transportation needs.. This is to confirm that the transportation charges have been retrieved and everything has been schedule into our computer for the below is your Ref number (XXX XXX XXXX XX) or Pickup. We require that you provide us with your Fax number so that we can forward that to our International Pickup Department for the entire necessary document to be prepared. Please do get back to us with that information so that we can expedite the shipment. We look forward to hear from you at your earliest convenient duration.
Yours Sincerely
Jeff Muller. {MD} !!!

More emails arrived, for larger orders and he wanted me to drive back to the postal office, place another western union money transfer IMMEDIATELY for a sizeable amount of money..which I refused to do..alarm bells were ringing!!

SO...to sumarise...if it seems too good to be true..then it probably is.

No doubt this is a SCAM have researched mr torres on the net and he has many names, seems to prefer using mastercards, all of which seem to expire 02/11. In my case he says he reides in NZ. He says he is working in AUS on a bus trip. He says he and his wife own a shop in Ghana. He states it is cheaper in the long run to send products via sealand shipping, than by intl courier, due to customs/duty laws at their end in ghana. For me he chooses to ONLY deal with c/c, but if he resides in NZ why wdoes he refuse to pay via bank deposit to my a/c?

Too many irregularites. Please fellowtraders, beware of this person/s

Good luck and if I can further help, please let me know.

Pussnboots :)

Quoted mails for clarity - Ralph
#24352 by Ralph Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:28 am
Hi Pussinboots

Welcome to Scamwarners,

I am glad you spotted this as a scam and avoided losing any money.

Thank you for posting these details, it will help prevent others from being scammed.

I removed the item you are selling for 2 reasons;
1) By seeing the item he was purchasing here it will alert him to who you are which we prefer not to happen.
2) The item he was trying to purchase could be considered offensive by some, no doubt he has vast experience with such products

It is worth noting, I wouldn't imagine there would be a big market in Ghana for (lets call them) adult products
#28911 by plushbeauty Wed May 19, 2010 9:08 am
Hi The following is a mail we received today from "Blay Hoops". We sent him a mail to say we have the products but alarm bells started to ring when he wanted a large order so we googled him and came across your site thank you so much for letting everyone know about this guy.

Hello
My name is MR,BLAY HOOPS can you supply me moisturizer for dry skin and lotion get back to me with price range also i want to know if you accept MasterCard or visa card for payment hope you get back to me shortly so that we can proceed with the order ..
Regards
#28913 by Ralph Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 am
Hi Plush Beauty and welcome to Scamwarners.

Would you mind posting the email address or any other emails you received from this scammer, it will go a long way to helping others from being scammed.

If you have any questions, please ask
#28918 by plushbeauty Wed May 19, 2010 10:19 am
This is a reply we received from an early mail we sent him

Thank you yes i need the dry skin so i will like to order SOS is €51.20 and the lotion €26.85. as for the qty i need 15pcs of each both the cream and the lotion so can you get back to me with the total cost plus VAT without postage now so that i send in my credit card for full payment after that i will let you know how i will pick them up.
#69272 by devonia Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:54 pm
I did a search for Mack Willson and scam and found this site.

I received the following after I took the advertisment down, six months ago.

Hi
My Name is Mack Willson,and i will like to know if the 1957 BSA A10 Basket Case is still available for sale?well please do get back to me with the price and also i will like to know the type of credit card you can take for payment?please do add your contact details as well as your number so that i will be able to get intouch with you asap.Thanks
Mack

The return eMail address was: [email protected]

The subject line contained only the letter E

Incidentally, I am in Canada.