Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#97178 by Jeannie37857 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm
I listed a truck for sale on CL and received an email asking if it was still available. I replied it was and then received the following and then a coue of days later got another inquiry and then the same email from a different email address. The only other difference was the fiance's name and the alleged person interested.
EMAIL CONTENT:
Awesome, that's perfect. My fiancee Dan is the one who will be buying it for me.  Our deal is that he's buying the car, if I take care of the premiums on the policy.  I make good money; I know I can afford it, but he wants me to give him a rough idea of the cost before he spends a bunch of money on me.
I'm at work, and they allow internet usage to internal company websites only.  Could you do me a big favor, and go to Auto Quotes and run a quick quote for me, so I have at least something to tell him?  I'm local, without any recent tickets or accidents.  If you could just tell me what the monthly rate is and we'll stop by once I leave work today, if that works for you.
Thanks!

Jill

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 8:38:04 AM, Jean Moore wrote:
Yes it is On Apr 17, 2012, at 11:33 AM, Lu Roesner < mailto:[email protected]> wrote: ** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams Hi, Looks good, is it still for sale? http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/2959435182.html 4/15/2012 11:14:00 AM This message was remailed to you via: mailto:[email protected] If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now: http://www.craigslist.org/flag/20120417 ... PQZ94dczrg
Advertisement

#97184 by vonpaso xlura Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:20 pm
If you got two copies of the email, and the wording is exactly the same except for the names, it's most likely a scam. Check the IP addresses in the headers (if they sent through Craigslist, you may have to reply and wait for an answer). If they're nowhere near you — like West Africa — you know it's a scam. Tip: an IP address beginning with 41 is in Africa (but there are others).

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#97327 by Jeannie37857 Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 am
Thanks for the response. I know it is a scam. I figured as much when they asked me to go to Auto Quote. Has anyone else heard of this one? Are they trying to get VIN numbers or what?
#97330 by Norman Barlleo Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:37 am
He just asks you those questions to look legitimate and real. Most likely he will send you a fake cheque, or transfer you to a fake escrow company.

DON'T tell the scammer that you found him in this site. Just cease all communications with him and move on.
#109815 by carsellersrq Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Hi,
same thing happened to me today! I got the exact same email from "Jill". All I replied was: LOL!
But they are smart, they contact you via Craig's list from one email, once you reply they contact you from another email address. So even if you report them for phishing, they don't care. They probably have tons of email addresses out there and there are probably a lot of people falling for it. I have heard that they try to install a Trojan on your computer, when you click on the link. So don't go to the link!!! Good luck and let's stop the scammers!!!
#109823 by vonpaso xlura Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:32 pm
There's no sense reporting the email address. It's better to post the address here, so that other possible victims can search for the address and find out that it's a scam. So what's Jill's email address?

If it's an Internet domain that the scammer paid for, those we do report.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10