Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
Advertisement

#15087 by Dan Jones Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:10 pm
Hey Sun_Cafe,

Hmm, this doesn't look like the type of scam I usually deal with, but lets see what we can dig up.
Firstly don't know for sure that this guy's stolen your money. He could just have terrible customer service, or an emergency at home.

I'd like to find a little more about this person. Mainly; where they live. To do this, I would need the full headers of one of his emails. (An illustrated how-to is HERE. Please remove your details from anything you post. If you don't feel comfortable posting his details, then PM them to one of the support members.

If we find that he's from West Africa, or a similar scammer hotspot that will tell us that your money is gone. If he was telling the truth about his location, you may have more options.

With either outcome, there maybe something you can do to minimise/recoup some loses.

Get back to use soon,
Dan Jones
#15090 by Ralph Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:48 pm
Hi Sun Cafe

Yes, your details have been removed however being a gmail account he used we can not do anything about tracking the IP for a loacation.

It isn't making too much sense to me yet but I dont like the look of it.

Could you please post some of these emails and we may get a better idea
#15092 by Arnold Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 am
I don't like the sound of this either. [email protected] suggests a business to me and if so, using a relative's account is unbusinesslike at best.
An internet search shows an ebay store withthe name Power Core Records, which no longer exists.
How were these goods advertised online, and what is the UK phone number you mentioned.

#15112 by Arnold Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 am
The UK accent and mobile phone number suggests it's legit, but there's nothing definite to say it's a scam. Do you have the full web address for the gumtree advert?
I can only suggest you wait another week and report back. If it is a scam, your money is likely to be beyond reach already. Scammers do recruit people who think they have a real job accepting payments into their bank accounts, and sending 90% on by Western Union.

#15115 by sun_cafe Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:30 pm
Afraid he said he took the gumtree ad down after we had come to the conclusion he was selling to me as he was receiving other interest. Again, at the time that didnt seem too suspect.

Having just read through my emails, he signed one off as "Dan". Didnt see that at the time, but its the name of his "cousin". So i think that might just be him.

date Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM
subject Re: Re: Reply to your ad: 2 Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3s and a DJM 600 and 800 Mixer for sale
mailed-by googlemail.com
signed-by googlemail.com

hide details Oct 7 (11 days ago)

Hi could you please call me asap its quite urgent theres a slight problem but easily solved with a call.
Thanks
Dan

This was before he had said anything about it going to his "cousins" account, who was called dan. So i think that he may well be Daniel J Quine, from kendal, in cumbria.
#15129 by Dan Jones Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:40 pm
I like where you've gone now. Asking for the money back, but leaving it friendly is a good thing.
If the insurance pays out and you still want to deal with him, then go ahead, but (as always) be wary. I would say go with the cash on delivery option. You can go there, inspect the goods, have a chat with the owner, then go get the money from your car and pay him, and take your decks home.

I will add that the offer of repayment may just be to keep you sweet whilst he hides it away/blows it on pokemon cards.

Please let us know the outcome. If he's a scammer, we might be able to help, If he's innocent, we can remove his details.
#15266 by sun_cafe Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am
So i emailed this man asking to send me back my money by today or i would be taking action. I havent received my money, and he hasnt been in touch again, so im going to get in touch with the police.

Does anyone have experience with dealing with the (british) police for this kind of thing?
#15278 by The Enchantress Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 pm
Hi sun-cafe.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-victims/victims/reporting-a-crime/

Hope this helps - also I would suggest you print out mails and websites urls ect.

Please let us know how you get on - as your information may well help others.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#18817 by Ralph Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 am
Sun Cafe, if that site is fake our site killers may be able to get it shut down, if you could please post or forward teh header from the emails it will be a big help.

If you dont know how to find teh headers, let us know which email provider you use and we can give you specific instructions.