Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#102966 by stvega Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm
HELLO EVERYBODY
I'm an Italian guy and I'm a little nervous
I was selling an item on ebay Italy
and although he did not participate in the auction in progress, contact me privately a scam.
He says he is in Malaysia and I will pay the shipping costs.
I accepted but when he paid me, he released a strange email paypal, saying that before I got money in my account I have to send a number of post transition (or something like that ..)

- - - - - - - - -
eCheques can take around Five working days to complete, so it's important to keep this in mind when expecting fund from us that you will need to Ship the item and email the Proof of Shipping to our Customer Verification Department.

Seller Protection - Eligible
Buyer
Marcus Evans
[email protected] Note to seller
Please mark the item as a gift.
Shipping address - confirmed

Marcus Evans
suite 124 No 10 jalan,
Sunway Metro PJS 11/28A,
46150, Petaling Jaya.
Malaysia.

Shipping details
Postage and handling via DHL International Priority or your local post office.

What is an eCheque?
eCheques are payments from buyers who have added their bank details to their PayPal account, but:

there is no backup funding source such as a credit card or debit card
the date on the debit or credit card backup funding source has expired

Think of these payments as like bank transfers. But because they are processed by PayPal, you and your buyer won't need to share your financial details.
What happens next?

Post the item.
Send the tracking number to us at: [email protected] and once this is completed you will have the eCheques updated to your PayPal account.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, log in to your PayPal account, go to your Profile, and click Notifications.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For me this was a strange transition, in fact I wrote what I thought at marcus evans and he replied that "in a few days the money will come on my account" and "asked me to send him the object"
BUT WHAT DO I DO NOW?
WHAT DOES HE WANT ?
STEAL MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT? STEAL MY ITEM WITHOUT PAYING ME?
HOW CAN I LEAVE ME OUT THIS SITUATION?

Advertisement

#102970 by Dotti Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm
Your instinct is absolutely correct. It is a scam, and he does want to steal your item.

Paypal is not an escrow service. There is absolutely no situation in which they hold money until you provide proof of shipping. If you forward the email from paypal to [email protected], they will confirm that it is not from them. Consultant.com email addresses are free addresses that anyone can open. They have no connection to paypal.

Do not send your item to him. Just cut off all contact with the scammer (he may send you a bunch of stupid threats), and find another buyer.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#102973 by stvega Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 pm
Dotti wrote:Your instinct is absolutely correct. It is a scam, and he does want to steal your item.

Paypal is not an escrow service. There is absolutely no situation in which they hold money until you provide proof of shipping. If you forward the email from paypal to [email protected], they will confirm that it is not from them. Consultant.com email addresses are free addresses that anyone can open. They have no connection to paypal.

Do not send your item to him. Just cut off all contact with the scammer (he may send you a bunch of stupid threats), and find another buyer.

Ok ok thanks a lot and thank to this forum.
So if he send me some emails i don't care about em.
You know but if he persists I clearly say to him that he is a scam and xxxxxxx !!! xD
#102998 by vonpaso xlura Fri May 18, 2012 6:07 pm
Don't tell him that he's a scammer. Don't say anything to him. We don't want scammers to figure out how we recognize them.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#113165 by lalachka Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 pm
Dotti wrote:Paypal is not an escrow service. There is absolutely no situation in which they hold money until you provide proof of shipping.

When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in their pending balance for up to 21 days. We want to make sure that there are no problems with the orders, such as disputes, claims, returns, or chargebacks. After we determine that the order was fulfilled and the customer is satisfied, we may release the money earlier.

If we place your money in a pending balance, it belongs to you but isn't immediately available to spend or withdraw.

We'll let you know if payments on your account are held. We'll also let you know what steps you can take to have your money released earlier. If your PayPal account was already limited, you'll need to lift those limits before you complete the steps to release your payments.

When does PayPal release the payment?
If there are no problems with a transaction, the money will typically be released within 21 days after the buyer pays. If there are problems, such as a dispute, claim, chargeback, or return, we'll release the payment when the issue is resolved. After you fulfill the order and mark it as processed, typically the payment will be released sooner.

The money may be released early if:

•You ship directly using USPS, UPS, or FedEx, or pay for shipping and print labels on PayPal. Once we know that the item was delivered, we'll release the payment within 3 days, OR
•You mark an order as shipped or processed. (This applies even if you don't provide tracking information through USPS, UPS, or FedEx or if the order does not require shipping.) We'll calculate the expected delivery date and release the payment within 7 days of that date, OR
•You mark the item as processed and we know that the buyer has received it and is happy with the item. We'll release the payment within 7 days.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/paypal_holds_faq

so they do act as escrow but ony in some cases. it doesn't say it on that page but i think it's only for new sellers (less than 25 transactions i think) or people with limited accounts (lots of disputes). They wait 21 days OR until you get a positive feedback from the buyer or 3 days after the item shows delivered (if you used their label printing services or USPS, UPS or FedEx).

the major difference is that you actually see the money in your account where with the fake emails you don't. i heard of some scammers being able to have the money show up in paypal as pending and then take it out but i don't know much about that.

ETA here's a list of cases where they hold the money

Who is affected by payment delays?
Payment delays typically affect new sellers or sellers in categories that have a higher than average rate of refunds, disputes, or chargebacks.

In deciding whether to hold payments in a pending balance, we review many factors. These factors include transaction activity, the rate of customer disputes, the type of business, average delivery time, customer satisfaction, and history. We understand that some experienced sellers may be affected. While history with PayPal is important, it's only one of many factors we consider.

Here are some common reasons we may hold payments in a pending balance:

•You have limited history or selling activity.
•You have low Detailed Seller Ratings, negative Feedback, or other indication of below-standard performance on eBay.
•You have a high rate of customer refunds, disputes, claims, or chargebacks.
•You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or mobile phones.
•Your business or selling activity is inconsistent. For example, you have a spike in selling activity, your average selling price changes, or you started selling in a new category.
•The account information you have provided is incomplete or inaccurate, or we're uncertain about the information you've provided.
•Your withdrawal activity has changed.
#156585 by iris151 Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm
Same thing happened here but like this same address

Jona Mike sent you EUR 370.00

Dear ([email protected]),

Just thought you'd like to know Jona Mike sent you EUR 370.00. The fund have been removed completed from the buyer's PayPal account and Pending in our Database Account. We want you to ship the item and email the Proof of Shipping to our verification team for verification before the fund can be credited to your account.
Note from Jona Mike:

Hi there, Please help me to pack the item like a gift.

Seller Protection - Eligible

Shipping address has been confirmed by PayPal as stated below:

Shipping Information

Address:
Jona Mike
suite 124 No 10 jalan,
Sunway Metro PJS 11/28A,
46150, Petaling Jaya.
Malaysia .

Address Status:
Confirmed

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PAYMENT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE "PENDING" TAB IN YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU SEND THE SHIPPING REFERENCE NUMBER TO US.

We have included the buyer's full name and amount paid for you to know this message was really sent from PayPal. We advise that you make sure the item is sent out as soon as possible and request for a tracking number at the post office after you might have send out the item, then you can email us the number by replying directly to this message after it might have been given to you at the post office so as to credit your account without delay.

After we receive the number from you for security verification, your account will be credited at once, Our system has witness new upgrades, its due to the amount of fraud going on involving our name which we are trying all our best to limit and put a stop to. As soon as we receive the requested information from you, your account will be credited.

_________________________ ______________________________ __________

Yours sincerely,
PayPal,

DO NOT SEND UR ITEM!!!!!!! i did and i wish i didnt..since hes somewhere over the country i cant press any charges...
or is there a way?? let me know
i know about one in this same forum who did,he just didnt say if it worked. i mean it seems to be always the same adress..so why dont they go and arest him??
#156717 by Bubbles Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 am
iris151 wrote:DO NOT SEND UR ITEM!!!!!!! i did and i wish i didnt..since hes somewhere over the country i cant press any charges...
or is there a way?? let me know
i know about one in this same forum who did,he just didnt say if it worked. i mean it seems to be always the same adress..so why dont they go and arest him??

Welcome to ScamWarners iris151, To press charges you would have to know the laws in the country the scammer resides in. Every country has their own laws regarding fraud. In the USA this would be a "Small Claims" case. The police would not get involved because it is a contract dispute, not necessarily a crime the police would pursue.

It is particularly difficult to get the police to pursue small cases across country lines. Even though it is a large loss to you, it isn't large enough to get an international investigation going. I am sorry these are just the facts.

Often in the countries scammers live in, the police can be bribed or paid off to NOT arrest a criminal. It is a sad reality. There is nothing stopping you from contacting the police in Malaysia to see what they could do for you. Sadly, they will probably tell you there is nothing they can do and you will be out the cost of an international phone call. If you do make the call, please let us know the outcome.

Thank you for posting this information and warning. Sadly, your money item is gone.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.