Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#142483 by TerranceBoyce Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 pm
Sometimes their stock answer just doesn't fit :laugh-s:

i wanted to buy this for my Son and i want it to be a surprise gift for him

New High Quality Laminate Flooring 20 Boxes :shock:

His children wouldn't have opened their Christmas gifts with much excitement this year.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#144071 by milesh Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 pm
I received a similar communication from these two different emails
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt response ,i am a marine engineer, i am at sea
right now.I am buying this for my daughter as a surprise promise Gift
so am willing to offer you $500 for your sales price and i will also
include $40 for the shipment and insurance to her destination in NY. I
can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my
bank account and i don't have internet banking but fortunately my bank
acct is attached to my PayPal account,don't mind paying you by PayPal.
I await to read back from you asap
Hope to read from you soon

This was my reply as I searched for craigslist scams with paypal.

Lizzra

Although I am pleased to hear of your offer and eagerness to by my ipad. Unfortunately I have serious doubts regarding your the sincerity of your offer. If you are truly at sea I will need more information regarding your duty assignment. I requite nothing that would compromise your tour, I have friends in the local PD who are ex marines as well as my brother who is a LT Col. US Army AD stationed at the pentagon. Either of these individuals could verify that you are being truthful with me. I only want to do this to protect both of us.

I would ask that you review the following two links, once you do then I believe that you will understand and appreciate my position.

http://craigslistpostingsecrets.wordpre ... -pal-scam/

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9089

The first thing that was a red flag was the offer was more than I was asking. In this day and age no one in their right mind does that.
#147986 by Brewmaster Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 pm
I get these all the time. The latest was from: Patricia Abel <[email protected]>

I usually try to string them along for awhile until they give up. I sent her(?) an email claiming I had no Paypal account. Here's her(?) response which came in less time than it would take to type it. In other words it is a canned response that the scammer just copies and pastes.

I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking and i can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through.

Now I have asked this question on many scam sites but I haven't received a satisfying response yet. How does the scam work? They will accept an invoice from Paypal that I send them. They will deposit the $$ in the Paypal account. Do they then receive the goods and claim that they never did? Does it go to a Paypal claim from them to you?

Does anybody really know or are we all just guessing? Has anyone followed through and been scammed?

Just curious.
#168943 by Maud Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 pm
"Bill Pally" strikes again.
I listed furniture for sale on Craigslist today, and received this email from "Wachtel Evins" (the name doesn't exist as far as Google is concerned, so that was my first clue):

What is your bottom price ? Kindly get back to me if its still
available through my personal email address (pallybill at gmail dot
com)

I Googled the email address and found this forum, so thanks -- I didn't bother to answer it. I figure I may help others by posting this version of the scam, for them in turn to Google and find.
#169413 by BJ Mc Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 am
Firstly, I say Trust No One just like the X Files. I've only sold a few things on Craigs list but have sold on Ebay for a few years. I've even had my name scammed in a fake complaint by a crook on ebay. The guy wouldn't send a magazine I ordered or return my money. He then filed a complaint with EBAY saying I was reporting negativity about him. Ebay did nothing. The guy found a site to list a complaint about me and said I was a liar and con artist. I contacted that site but they did nothing. Today I listed a wine cooler on Craigs list. I almost immediately got an email from a Gary Washington working as a buyer for the Herman Miller Corp. He was interested in the cooler at full price but would have to talk to his boss. Next thing I knew I was getting an email from a John Conner who wanted to buy the wine cooler for full price plus $50. I've posted his email below. I've been around the block a few times so the warning lights immediately went off. I sent him a reply that I'm sorry but I only take cash and the cooler needed to be picked up locally. I doubt if I ever will hear from these people again. The one good thing that came out of it was finding this site. If it sounds to good to be true then my advice is "google it and then run". Oh btw I use a special email only for selling things on Craigs List. I don't want to be hacked, spammed or any other negative thing.

Thanks for all the advice,
BJ

To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: wine cooler

Thanks for the reply to my email.I will purchase the item from you and
will be adding $50 extra for the item asking price,so please kindly
withdraw the advert from CRAIGSLIST and i will be paying you via bank
certified check from my Bank and the payment will be delivered to you
via Fedex next-day and i will like you to get back to me with the
following information to facilitate the mailing out the check to
you....I will need the below details to mail the payment as soon as
possible.

Name to be on the Check_____________
Home or office address(No P.O.BOX)___
City__State__Zip Code_______________
Phone Numbers_____________________
Final Asking Price_____________________

FYI:You will not be responsible for the shipping of the item...I will
make arrangement for the pickup as I will call Fed ex to come and pick
it up for delivery and I will have my mover come over for the pick up
as soon as you have the check cashed at your bank and i will get back
to you once my secretary made the payment out to you immediately

Thank you
#218757 by nathanbrown Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:55 pm
I was trying to sell my PS3 and got contacted by a scammer. Almost went through with it! I received an email saying the funds have been sent but won't be credited to me until i ship it and get a Shipping Tracking / Reference Number. The "buyer" emphasized the funds would come through "instantly" as soon as i ship it lol. Here is the number he texted me from... 7177073063. He said he wanted to buy it for his nephew and he would give me an extra $100 for shipping to Nigeria. Here's the fake address he gave me 39, Jubrila street, Ijeshatedo. Surulere Lagos, Nigeria.

The legitimate paypal says [email protected]. The fake scammers say [email protected] but if you really look at the sent info it's actually sent from a gmail account and will say something like [email protected]. Hopefully this helps other people!
#302831 by Muttdude Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:14 pm
Frank Bruce is attempting to purchase my motorcycle and texted me asking me all kinds of questions and attempted to argue about the price and negotiate and then gave up and agreed to pay my asking price and the sent me a text that read "Alright, I have a private hauler who will be coming for the pickup as soon as payment clear into your account and i will be making the payment via paypal and will cover the paypal charges..So please do get back to me with your paypal email address for me to effect the payment right now and i will need to know when best it can be picked up for me to schedule that with hauler". Only problem is that he kept asking me about my pickup and I'm not selling a pickup, it's a motorcycle. Beware of frank b (561) 203-1357. apparently he changed his number. [email protected]