Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#109778 by msabba01 Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 am
Hi,
I am selling an electronic item on Gumtree and received an email from someone who says her name is Gina Jones. I stupidly didn't really look into it, I was a bit suspect of the email ([email protected]), but then she said this after asking if my item was still for sale:

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response, I will pay $1,050 for the -----------------.

I am currently on the ship due to the nature of my work, I'll be paying you with my credit card via my PayPal, If my offer is accepted.. The payment will be made through PayPal, But you will have to get back to me with the following information so that my pick up agent will come and pick up as soon as possible...However, I'm ready to pay now into your account...

Your Name and address:
And your PayPal email:

In case you don't have a PayPal account..Its reliable and easy to use PayPal it is the best way to transfer money,all you need to do is visit www.paypal.com.au and register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can pay make your payment.

Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked,so no shipping..

Await for your swift response.

Gina.

I thought that I'd be safe because she was transferring money to my account, so I sent my details through. I'm not sure what to do and was wondering if anyone has any advice - can she take money out of my account?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

#109782 by vonpaso xlura Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:18 am
The way this scam works is, she sends you a fake PayPal message saying that you got enough money to pay for the item and the shipping, but it won't appear in your account until you send the shipping to the pickup agent by Western Union. PayPal doesn't work this way. The only time there will be a delay with PayPal is when the money has to be pulled out of a checking account, which takes 3-5 days and is not contingent on the recipient doing anything.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#109783 by AlanJones Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:19 am
I assume that you have just given here your PayPal email address and other details such as your name.

With these details, "she" can't withdraw money from your account or anything like that.

What the scammer will do is send you a fake PayPal email telling you that money has been paid to your PayPal account, but is on hold until you take some action (either sending a payment to a fake shipper or sending the tracking details of the shipper if you really ship the item - this depends on whether the scammer is after your money or the item).

Just ignore the fake PayPal email and any further emails you receive from the "buyer" and they will eventually give up on you.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#110476 by staffa Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 am
Got the exact same thing. Damn was really happy to be getting a good offer!