Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#244209 by alectroll66 Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:39 am
This look familiar to anyone??

Hello thanks for reply,i am currently on offshore working as an health
and safety manager on the rigs, . I am buying this for my daughter as a
surprise gift. However,does it have any history I should be aware of?
and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking and I will really
I can only pay through Paypal at the moment as i can not come to pay you
cash personally or send you check due to my present location but i
have it attached to my Paypal account and this is why i insisted on
using Paypal to pay,all i will need is your Paypal email address to
make the payment, and if you don't have a Paypal account yet, you can set one it
cant take you less than 3 mins to do that, i will be expecting your Paypal
email so l can pay . I have a pick up agent that will
come for the pick up after payment has been sorted out and cleared in
your account,
l will be waiting for your reply asap
Advertisement

#245780 by Knightsa3 Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:47 pm
Hey Daylie

The Gumtree site mentions this scam in their http://www.gumtree.com.au/scam-security-centre/types-of-scams/ Gumtree Scams section:

Its under Payment for importing - see below:

How the scam works:
A seller claims that there are brokerage fees, import duties, or other fees required to get an item into the country.

Gumtree’s tips:
Always meet in-person, take someone with you or meet in a public place
Never send money to anyone you don’t know.
Do not respond to emails asking for payment of fees or taxes
#249106 by diamondo12 Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 pm
Unfortunately I fell for a gumtree/paypal scam from [email protected] and lost a Samsung galaxy s6 in the process.
I sent everything off to paypal once I realised that it was odd, and they stated that at firs they were almost identical to their verification emails. Please anyone who reads this learn from my mistake
#261227 by Ashb23 Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:55 am
Hi,

Thansk fro the thread. I just got one (I think). Thought it was funny when I asked which item they were interested in and they asked what I was selling. Went back with the two items I have listed and they came back saying they wanted both.

Went back and refused to accept anything other than Cash on delivery.

We'll see....
#262937 by Hulachook Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm
This happened to me today as well. I'm really annoyed because it took me ages to compile my Gumtree ad and they asked me to remove it.

The wording was almost identical - word for word.

It sounded progressively more dodgy so I decided to have a look online before progressing it any further. I've just sent them an email saying I'm reporting them to police unless the funds are in my account and cleared and I WILL NOT be paying anyone in advance.

If they want to ship my $500 sofa from Australia to New Zealand who am I to argue, but they can pay upfront and in full and organise their own transport.
#263636 by AbysmalSpectator Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:34 pm
Just received the following scam message concerning the sale of a car on Gumtree:

e-mail address used was: [email protected]

"Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project work, we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University in Western Australia ,I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day, am a (Operating Manager) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply"
#266074 by mikej340 Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:53 am
Just wanted to add another email address, chap apparently wanting to buy a MacBook Pro. Other than that, same story (PayPal, offshore):

[email protected]
signed off emails as Jason (without a Y)
#274100 by shawnnlai Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:42 am
Received a text message that cannot be replied to. I emailed him and then it led to this... :-)
I thought something was amiss just because of that alone. Then I kept asking him where he saw the ad and he did not say till pressed him hard for it. Thanks to this site he is never going to get a payment request.

Heres the email exchange... (cut and paste from my gmail)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Russell Charles
to me

Can you send me a list of all you have for sale? I might be interested in another..

to Russell

Russell,

I have only the Ableton Push for sale. Nothing else, sorry.

Where did you see the ad of my stuff for sale.

Russell Charles
to me

What's your final best price?

to Russell

Russell,

Where are you located?

Russell Charles
to me

I'm from China.

to Russell

Ok Russell,

The Ableton Push is SG$490.

Paypal payment only.

Shawnn

Russell Charles
to me

Thanks for the response. I'd take it for $550 including PayPal surcharges since i am interested in the immediate purchase. I am buying it internationally to China and i would pay you through PayPal as it is the fastest & easiest way for me to make payment at this moment, do not worry about PayPal charges, i will take care of that and about the transportation, i shall arrange for a transport agent to come to your home directly for the pickup.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person, So if you accept this transaction, you should send me your info requested below if you have an account already with PayPal:-

Name :
PayPal Email :
Mobile Number:
Total Price :

or you should send me a PayPal money request, so that i can proceed with the transfer and then we can arrange for my transport agent to come for the pick up, after you receive your money. I will need your home address too for the pick up to be arranged.

I expect your reply soon,
Cheers.
--------------------------------------------------

to Russell

Russell.

I'm out at the moment. Will send u when I get home. So where did u see my ad about selling this unit?

Shawnn

Russell Charles
to me

Okay..

to Russell

Russell.

You might have missed it. But where did you see my ad for selling this item.

Shawnn

Russell Charles
to me

Gumtree
#284772 by Hyper_Hippy Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 am
Another scammers email address.......

[email protected]

Alarm bells started ringing straightaway after several failed attempts to reply via text. Did a Google search for 'unable to reply to gumtree text' and found my way here. While I wasn't sucked in to replying via email, they did have me holding my phone up to unusual places as I get abets tic signal in my flat and initially thought that was why it wasn't sending. Ha! The swine! ;)

Anyway, thanks a bunch for corn forming my suspicions, guys and gals. :D
#290343 by graemefoy Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 am
[email protected] - Great... please remove the advert and consider it sold as i am paying your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have done thorough check on the advert and i'm fine with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to view or collect it due to house bound i went through throat cancer surgery and couldn't talk more but will be ok soon but i have an agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today and pick up arrangement will commence after you have cashed your money...if that is ok with you...
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the agent about it now and send me your registered PayPal email,so i can make arrangement for payment.Thanks

me - Hi,

cash on collection only I’m afraid.

HD - I am sorry i have limited access to cash and other payment methods due to my health condition like i have explained earlier on..so i can only pay via PayPal at the moment..

Looks like they are trying to pull on the heartstrings too? lame.
#292727 by Bryon Williams Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Simply posting an email address, name or phone number is not proof of a scam. Any post that does not provide proof of a scam is subject to removal.

Please post the emails you received minus your personal information. Also post the email headers. In my signature below you will find a link on how to find email headers.

Any future poster may start a new thread.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/