Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#155433 by GojuRyu5 Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:41 pm
Add another name to your list:

ERIC HARVEY

[email protected]

Same pattern - immediate text response to a Gumtree ad listed tonite for a motorbike. The text came up with the name ERIC, rather than a number. Didn't immediately notice that one. He asked me to email him:

To Eric:

Hi Eric, yes the bike is still up for sale, i want to get at least
£1200 for it. its in good condition and runs fine, really enjoy riding it but time for something bigger.
Let me know if you're interested,

From Eric:

Thanks for mailing back..I will like to know the following details.

1) Why are you selling ?
2) More Pictures
3) Re-confirm asking price?

As I am a petroleum Engineer and I am on RIG right now...I am buying it for personal use. .I can only pay through paypal at the moment as I don't have access to my bank account online,but I have it attached to my paypal account and this is why I will like to pay using paypal,all I will need is your paypal email address to make the payment,if you don't have a paypal account yet,set up one at http://www.paypal.co.uk, I will be expecting your email regarding it.I have a pick up agent who will come for the pick up after I might have sorted out the payment..Cheers

To Eric:

Hi Eric,

Bear with me, I'll sort some extra pictures and email them to you later this evening. Selling because I have passed my full licence, so it's time for a bigger bike. I'd be prepared to accept an absolute minimum of £1,200.

Cheers

From Eric:

Thanks for the information..I will be waiting for the pictures and also your paypal details so I can send you the payment as I am ok with your price..Cheers.

*** At this point, bells started ringing in my head ***

I had a vague memory of reading something about a Gumtree scam and I was uncomfortable with the idea of giving away my Paypal email address so quickly, so decided to Google the details which led me here. Thanks for all the comments and information. I decided just to tell "Eric" that the bike had been sold, and haven't had a reply as a result. Fortunately, I didn't give out any other information to the scammer, as I'm always careful to keep private email addresses separate from those used on ads, etc...

Hopefully by sharing this information, the scum sucking scammers of the world will get nothing from the rest of us that work hard for what we have.

Cheers

J
Advertisement

#155540 by sidney Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 am
Trying to sell my Max I scooter on gumtree, this guy called Wayne sent me a text how much was it etc,he sent it via E-mail so i had no phone number to reply to. This was only yesterday and I was at work all day unable to access a computor. My friend at work let me use her Ph that had acesss to email. He said he was too busy to come and view it,send him a few more photos, he would arrange someone to pick it up and was going to sell or send it overseas and to give him my bank account details or pay pal. First, I thought how good is this, after quite a few messages and me constantly asking him to just phone, I got a gut feeling somethings just not quite right. He was quite intent about giving him my bank details and so convincing as well. When I finally got home from work, I did send him more photos and asked him again to just phone me, I really wanted to speak to this man and sick of messaging. He still was like, "just send your bank details". I just got onto Google and put his name in, and seen this sort of stuff going on. Thank God I didn't give him my details. What a scam and I wonder how many poor people have fallen for this scum-bag. Gumtreee should take serious action on this so-called [email protected] and the Federal Police to get this loser and put him behind bars where he belongs. This has all came about in the 24hrss or so. Everyone, please be careful and lets hope this guy gets done.
#155542 by sidney Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 am
I just want to add to my previous post about [email protected] that he may be British, as he always ends with Cheers, he obviously watches sellers and when they look like there getting a bit desperate to sell, that's when he offers his so-called charisma, and pounces on these poor souls. I,m going to do as much as I can to get this ____hole. I,m from Sydney, Australia, he seems to go everywhere. Anyone with any information on this Wayne, please let the Authorities know,. Robyn
#155763 by Bubbles Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners sidney, scammers often try to sound British or American. That doesn't mean they are located in that country or have ever lived there.

Reporting to authorities is positive, though there is little they can do as scammers hide behind email addresses they can throw away. They don't use their real names and they don't use their real locations. What they offer for rent is not theirs to rent. It is all lies and deception.Don't send any money to them it will also be lost.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#155764 by Polly Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm
Hi we had the same thing happened to use yesterday with this "Wayne Mathen"!
We had a bike for sale on GumTree and he contacted through a txt from gumtree but the name came up as Wayne M on my phone like he was a contact of mine! he asked what's the lowest we would go?
We then said that we would go as low as $2000.
He then contacted saying that he wouldnt be able to view it and could i send him some more photos because he couldnt view it due to work load ect. and asked for payment details to do a bank deposit or paypal.
I told him i didnt deal with paypal and id prefer bank deposit but instead he messaged back saying that he had transfered funds but needed help transfering shipping costs to Auto shipping international. I didnt relise at the time that he had apparently paid me via his paypal and apparently was ment to be going into my bank account once i had transfered $600 out of my pocket to the shipping company via western union, which i was not doing and when i told him this he proceeded to tell me to do as i was told and i needed to find the money.
Paypal then started messaging me telling me if i didnt follow through with sending my $600 through to the shipping company via western union they would be taking legal action.
I then contacted paypal directly to find out that they do not associate with western union at all and this was fraud.
We emailed him back stating we had been in contact with PayPal directly and he proceed to try and tell me that they only know about paypal to bank account through email they cant tell you anything over the phone...Even after telling him that we have been informed this is a fraud he has still tryed to get us to do the transaction by telling us that legal action will be taken...
#155791 by Bryon Williams Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 am
Hello Polly and welcome to scamwarners,

Yes, you were dealing with a scammer. The emails sent to you were all from the scammer. Even the fake Paypal emails.

The phone call you had with Paypal was your only true contact with Paypal.

Stop emailing the scammer and his fake Paypal email address. Every time you write him he is programmed to write you back with more lies and attempts to try to steal your money or "item".

You can now expect him to write you with threats of the FBI or him contacting his lawyer. Once again they are all lies in an attempt to steal your money.

**please post the number used to text you and if you have additional information to help others.

Please visit online selling here on this site for tips.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#155827 by Hairy Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 am
Seems like Wayne Mathen ([email protected]) has been busy! We also received an sms today directing us to his email after listing a bike for sale on gumtree. We then received the following email:

"Thanks, as for this price it is ok. Due to demanding and eventful work i won't be able to come and view it myself, i am interested in the item and it is needed overseas. I will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from your side and have it delivered. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you. I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person, I'd be paying via PayPal or Bank transfer so kindly get back to me with your paypal or bank details for payment, cheers."

Funny enough we also received a similar text then email from a Susan Lawrell ([email protected]) this morning too:

"Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am
buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as
am a petroleum engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come
for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to
call in person but our satellite server has been down which restrict
our calls.i will be paying you through PayPal,pls get back to me with
your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the
courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.I
would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too
since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email
to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP,And if you don't have
a paypal account, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com.au
and get it set up or you send me your BSB and account number so i can
pay you from my paypal merchant account"

Alarm bells were ringing when we received two similar emails, plus both were so readily willing to "buy" the bike without even asking a single question about the bike! My first point of call was to look on the Gumtree website, but unfortunately didnt find anything to warn people of such a scam, plus no phone number to call someone to discuss the matter. Disappointing. I wont be listing any big ticket items on gumtree again.

Be warned the scammers are very pushy too, they hounded us in subsequent emails for the bank account or paypal details. Luckily we didnt provide any details thanks to everyone here for giving us the heads up. Gotta love being able to google things if you are not sure! In the end we told them they had to inspect the item and personally collect it (or have someone do so on their behalf) and we havent heard anything since.

PS. I stand corrected about Gumtree.... I just found Article 201 "staying safe using gumtree' its titled "What is sms fraud? I received a sms message asking for paypal details". They are aware of this scam and it seems they know it well!
Last edited by Bubbles on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#155981 by simonek182 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm
Hi all,

Just another scammer using the email ( [email protected] )
Same situation like everyone else my ad was up on gumtree for textbooks for sale said they wanted the item paid for it using paypal but didn't receive any funds from Paypal at all. Got an email from paypal but wasn't from paypal it has the [email protected] had a little r in a circle after the address but the email sending it was completely different it was [email protected]. I had recent emails from paypal that had the same address as the email they sent me which is [email protected] with a security tick to show its from them.

Said for me to send money using western union to his agent thought it was suss so I went to western union page and double check with the location as my parents send money using western union so I was aware on what needed to be done to check if its correct. Found out that the postal code they gave me was incorrect to where they said they are. Which was

Name: Sandra Kelving
Address: No 12 johnson Street,
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo State
Zip Code : 23402

Got me curious to know why they wanted the textbooks because it was all for Australian universities and most of these books could be outdated too. So after finding out that the postal code was wrong email back saying it was wrong they sent back with a new address same street but the city and state and zip code changed. But still was not correct.

So if you ever get an email from [email protected] goes by the name of Pamela morgan. would stay away they are scammer. Have confronted them with another email saying to confirm all this process but have not heard back. Beware!!!
#155992 by SezK Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 pm
Just had the same thing happen to me today! Got a text from this person enquiring about a couch I'm trying to sell on Gumtree, so I emailed them back & they gave me the same story... Couldn't come and view it, was shipping it overseas, wanted my bank details to pay for it & would arrange pick up... So I googled the name & found these posts, so thankyou!!! The email is [email protected].
#155997 by Mickii Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm
Hi Everyone,
I currently am in communication with 3 Scammers from Gumtree, I will post them here shortly.

Scammer 1) Known as Wayne Matham

Below (Start From the Bottom of Page and Read Up)

Hi Wayne, I suggest you read this post, because everything you have told me sounds Identical to what is on the following web page

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46616

How Much $$$ have you made from this scam? You got the wrong guy mate, I’m a Computer Technician and it’s my job the keep up to date on the latest scams.

Congratulations, you have just made it to the latest Scamwatcher forum with your current name

Regards

Michael McMillan

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:38 AM
To: Michael McMillan
Subject: Re: Gumtree

I'm presently in cairns at the sea where i work and due to my work i won't be able to view the item that was why i asked for more pictures. My shipping company would arrange the pick up and paperwork once i've completed the payment. Get back to me with your paypal or bank details so i can send the money asap.

(HAHAHA I Live in Cairns, and I know there is NO Offshore Rigs nearby)

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Michael McMillan

Hi Wayne,
Where will this be imported to, what country? we import and export these machines nearly everyday so we know what is required to export to other countries so we will need to see your import permit for it to clear customs in Australia.
I will send you more pictures, and you will need a serial number as well, This will be given once all relevant documentation has been received and payment cleared through our bank account.

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:39 PM
To: Michael McMillan
Subject: Re: Gumtree

Thanks I want the planter, as for this price it is ok. Due to demanding and eventful work i won't be able to come and view it myself, i am interested in the item and it is needed overseas. I will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from your side and have it delivered. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person, I'd be paying via PayPal or Bank transfer so kindly get back to me with your paypal or bank details for payment, cheers.
#156000 by Bryon Williams Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm
Hello and welcome to scamwarners Mickii,

I am glad you were able to see that you were dealing with a scammer and scamwarners was able to help out.

Please do not inform the scammer he is posted here. As you can see a search would lead possible victims here and help them not to get scammed. Once a scammer learns that his email address or script is searchable he will change it. It will only take the scammer maybe 5 minutes to get a new email address. At that point his new email is not searchable until a new victim post his script or someone drops by and ask.

Thanks for posting the scammers emails. Posting the email addresses would be helpful. I would caution you on baiting these criminal with your real information. If you would like to learn to bait and bait safely I suggest you visit our sister site http://www.419eater.com .

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#156035 by Mickii Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 pm
Sorry about that, will make sure I won't do that again :)

Regards

Mickii
#156037 by Bryon Williams Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 pm
No problem. Things happen. We also do not kill email addresses for the same reason.

I would like for you to visit 419eater.com :)

#156278 by Misty21 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 pm
Well Thanks to this website i now was aware of the emails that i was getting from LAYTON WEIDNER
regarding the items i have up for sale on Gumtree

IT (HE OR SHE) was saying exactly the same as what as previously been posted,

Starts off with a text message,
then asks to reply back to Layton Weidner ([email protected]) email address,

First Message i sent: 827am 14/03/2013
Hi,
Received a txt message this morning regarding a listing on have on Gumtree,
Can you please advise which item as i have a few and was not specified in your txt

From the A**Hole: 906am 14/03/2013
Oh i thought the one i saw was the only one you have...i don't know you have more than that..Kindly list them with there price so that i can know see may be i have interest in some more....Layton

From Me:
I have the
Iphone 5 earphones / some welding PPE equipment / Laptop back with Mouse
Which were you referring to in your txt?

From the A**Hole:
Thanks for the mail....I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently overseas at the moment and i want it picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me or bank transfer as well safe. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at www.paypal.com if you dont have one or your bank details for me to make payment. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.

Cheers and pls inform other buyers you sold it as am ready to purchase it right away....Layton
I replied with deal,
than just sitting here wondering Im going to Google his name and it popped up in the website,

I would like to thank everyone for the warning and i hope who ever the tossers are, get played just as well as they are playing with all of us. and maybe get a life,

EVERYONE PLEASE BE AWARE OF THESE TOSSERS
#156373 by Bryon Williams Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 pm
Hello Misty21 and welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for posting the emails and text you had with the thief/scammer. Could you please post the phone number he used to text you. This will help others avoid being becoming a victim if they search the phone number.

Bryon