Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#142140 by Angela8 Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:09 am
Hi thanks for mailing back,I am a marine engineer on a rig offshore and do not have much time on me and i am buying this for Dad, i am at sea right now,Can i pay you $5,300 AUD for it?.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,as you don't have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.au,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted Waiting to read from you soon.

Thanks for mailing back.I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New
Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New
Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project.We do not have access to phone
at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on,which is why I contacted
you with internet messaging facility. I am buying this for my for my
holiday, and i want it to be delivered before my arrival in NT .
However,does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you
selling if you don't mind my asking and I will really appreciate if
you can email more info and if possible more photos.

I am already in talks with the courier that will handle the pick-up
and delivery to my family . As regards the payment, I can pay you
through direct bank deposit,using ppal instant bank wire transfer
service, I will need your bank details.If you are not comfortable with
that, you can set up a paypal account proper at www.paypal.com.au and
I will make the payment through paypal, this way, all I will need is
your paypal email address,so i can proceed with the payment and
contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it
in my place.

riya shrestha

Message starred

Sunday, 30 December 2012 1:39 PM

Thanks for the mail...I am waiting to purchase it into my new home
right away, however due to my job, calling and surfing are almost
impossible but i managed to check the advert and sms'd you.I would be
glad to pay for it as soon as possible though, i will not be available
to come for an inspection due to my ever busy lifestyle. Kindly answer
the following questions;

- Are there any scratch on it?
- Are you the only Owner?
- Your address for me to pass it to the pick up agent for them to
arrange time and the date for the collection?
- Your Registered PayPal name and email for me to proceed with the payment?
- If you do not have paypal, I can still transfer the funds directly
into your bank account through paypal, so kindly supply paypal email
address or bank details .

I would be glad to process payment immediately so kindly get back to
me with your details for me to proceed with the payment as soon as
possible. You need not to worry about packaging or wrapping prior to
collection cos the shipping people will handle that therefore in order
to complete the transaction, you just need to get back to me with your
payment details and confirm the total cost so that I can make the
payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply

Kind regards,

Thank you for the mail, i am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price, please kindly get back to me with your paypal email account to set up purchase, i will arrange for pick up after the cleared payment via paypal. Also more pics will be welcome.

Many Thanks
these are all the emails I got for my car advertise in gumtree.
Advertisement

#142429 by soxinthebox Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 am
delboy14 wrote:I also received a similar email for my furniture on Gumtree.
You can also add Cole Jacob [[email protected]] to list of names. See email below:

Thanks for the swift response. Am really impressed in purchasing and i need to make the payment right away as i need it urgently and kindly inform if you have other items for sale as i need some stuff for my new apartment and also am not in state right now and am willing to make payment via PayPal or bank transfer to your account and as well pick up will be made by a shipping company once payment is made to your account. Kindly get back to me with your paypal email address or bank details i.e bank name, account number and bsb so i can proceed with payment and pick up can as well be made immediately. I shall be waiting on your soonest mail once you receive my message.

Thanks and please kindly inform other buyers it is already sold.

Be blessed.

When I got this, alarm bells began to ring so I searched around until I ended up here.
So I told him the transaction is cash only and he can contact me when ready to proceed.
Still haven't heard back!!

After responding to a message from fredbetty85 I got the same email response as above. Seemed a bit fishy so it's good to have my thoughts validated.
They used the same email address [email protected]
#143174 by Anita7704 Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 am
Hi guys
Have just has the same request texted/emailed to me using email address [email protected]
See below:

Alright Mate,

I am interested in buying your item. I wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently out of the country at the moment and i want it picked up before my arrival, though i will be back in couple of weeks. I would like to pay you using paypal due to my inability to make a bank deposit which is safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account with paypal if you dont have one. I will make a solid pick up arrangement with the shipping company who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your paypal account. Have a nice day. Few more photos will be appreciated as well.

Mike
[email protected]
#143633 by Retriever368 Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am
Hey guys, just got a response in regards to an item we are selling in Gumtree. It was from Mike Morris ([email protected]). Looked like a scam from the start, however we will string him along for as long as we can, get as much information from and about "him" instead of the other way around. We will string "him" along for as long as we can, get as much information as possible to post on sites warning about scams.

Be warned about these "people". Never do anything more than what you specify (i.e selling furniture / goods). If you are asked to do something to help the buyer out it is usually a scam.

Cheers
#144067 by croberts Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm
I had someone attempt to do this exact same thing to me Yesterday after I posted a car for sale.

Intially it seemed like a normal enquiry about the car and then it went from there..
I excused his bad grammar and some typo's and put it down to the fact that english may not be his first language.

HE SAID

is this listed ad still up for sell.

ME:

Hi Rob

Yes it is, I listed it today.

HIM:

Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,am
buying it for my Holiday,because i'll be coming soon from our rig as
am a petroleum engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come
for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to
call in person but our satellite server has been down which restrict
our calls.i will be paying you through PayPal,pls get back to me with
your PayPal details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the
courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.I
would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too
since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email
to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP,And if you don't have
a paypal account, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com.au <http://www.paypal.com.au/>
and get it set up or you send me your BSB and account number so i can
pay you from my paypal merchant account

ME:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your interest.

I will take some more pictures for you this afternoon and email them through tomorrow. Is there anything in particular you would like to see?

I don’t have a PayPal account but I would be happy to receive payment via electronic bank transfer into my account.

Are you sure that you are happy to make payment without seeing the car in person first, obviously you cannot be here to see the car but is there anyone you would like to send on your behalf? I ask only to avoid any dramas if you make the payment and are not happy with the price you paid and the car you get.

Let me know what you think.

HIM:

i would have love to come see the car in person but due to the nature of my

work.my agent will come for the inspection and also do the signing of the

paper work and all the necessary papers needed to be signed.get back to me

with your bsb and account number so that i can proceed with the payment asap as i

will like the car delivered to my place before my arrival.

thanks.

ME

Hi Rob,

When are you due into _______?

I can organise an inspection of the car for your Agent this weekend if it suits as I work full time during the week.

Let me know

HIM:

Just get back to me with your bank details do that I can proceed with the payment as my pick up agent can come for the inspection and pick the car up asap.

****at this point i am a little taken back as he is coming across more and more insistant on making payment and sounds a bit rude***

ME:

Hi Rob,

I am aware that you would like a fast transaction but I would prefer that your agent had a look at the car before you transfer the funds into my account.

Also, what bank are you with if you don’t mind my asking.

Thank you.

**I AM NOW VERY SUSPICIOUS AND GOOGLE GUMTREE SCAMMERS, THIS FORUM CATCHES MY ATTENTION AND ITS THEN I REALISE THIS GUY IS A SCAMMER AS HIS EMAILS ALSO STATE THAT HE IS "OFFSHORE', and wants to make payment via paypal and ETC***

HIM

i want this transaction to be fast due that i want the car deliver at my place before my arrived,and the money will be transfer from my paypal account to your bank account kindly get back to me with your bank details so that i can proceed with the payment asap.

***UPON RECIEVING THIS EMAIL I PROCEEDED TO MOVE ALL HIS EMAILS TO JUNK, AND BLOCKED HIM AS A SENDER ON MY EMAIL ACCOUNT***

I have since had another 2 Enquiries from people i suspect to be scammers

from Mark Philis <[email protected]>
who wrote:
"--
Hello mate...Is your listing Ad still up for sale? Kindly get back to me asap."

and berton scott <[email protected]>
who wrote:

"--
Is your AD on guntree still available for sale?what is the lowest price and condition of it."

I am guessing these are also a scam. so i have deleted and will not be replying to either of them!
#144077 by scammeifyoudare Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am
I think I am in the process of being scammed......Here is another name Brian J McDonald [mailto:[email protected]]

same text/emails for my boat..... says he has just moved to New Zealand and will pay$500 over the asking price,including paypal fees... he is happy with the condition and asking price ( even though he only got pics).

alarm bells rang when he said he would send a shipping agent to pick up the "merchandise"... stopped it right there !! asked him for his name and phone number... no replies as yet.
will let you know... :twisted:
#144593 by peterd77 Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm
kim shaw [email protected] via craigslist.org
8:10 PM (22 hours ago)

to gjmww-35395433.
i Saw 2002 baby italia eastside crib white - $350 (Summer Place Parkway, Hoover AL 35244)) on craiglist still available
[email protected] Waiting Ur Reply

I then asked to call my telephone number if interested and the following was there reply:

Great.. does is still have a title or Bill of sale? I am ok withe
price and i am willing to offer you $500 which includes the PayPal
surcharges as i will be responsible for it... Text me back with your
PayPal email address so i can proceed with the payment for it ?
Regards
#144669 by Jillian Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:44 pm
scammeifyoudare wrote:alarm bells rang when he said he would send a shipping agent to pick up the "merchandise"... stopped it right there !! asked him for his name and phone number... no replies as yet.
will let you know... :twisted:

I'm glad you recognized the scam right away. You're right, the scammer wanting to use his own "shipping agent" is a clear sign of scam. The "agent' is just the same scammer. He'll want to add an extra amount to what he is supposedly paying you (payment will be fraudulent/fake) and ask you to wire it. Please stop all contact with him.

@Peterd77:

Great.. does is still have a title or Bill of sale? I am ok withe
price and i am willing to offer you $500 which includes the PayPal
surcharges as i will be responsible for it

Very clear indication of a scam. The scammer doesn't even know what the item is. Obviously there would be no title. Not to mention his offer of money above the asking price.
Do not respond to him further and let us know if you have questions. When selling something on craigslist you're likely to get several scammers targeting you - feel free to start topics here to list any, or ask us questions of buyers who seem suspicious.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#144908 by munks Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 am
Gumtree sellers Beware.....
I have had [email protected] asking to buy my piano off Gumtree. Exactly the same story... word for word as others have received. He wants a Pay Pal account set up, which I did...no further contact from him/her. All emails bounce back. I'm guessing I still have a piano for sale.
here's the text

Alright Mate,

I am interested in buying your item. I wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently out of the country at the moment and i want it picked up before my arrival, though i will be back in couple of weeks. I would like to pay you using paypal due to my inability to make a bank deposit which is safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account with paypal if you dont have one. I will make a solid pick up arrangement with the shipping company who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your paypal account. Have a nice day. Few more photos will be appreciated as well.

Mike
[email protected]
#144932 by Yscammers Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 am
For the interest of everyone - be warned!

I received emails from the below email addresses with the same or very similar text to what has been listed in this forum. Please take the following emails as a reference of scammers.

Scammer Black List.
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]

Will update this list as more come to light.

Please feel free to add to this list to help other innocents in the community to be warned and armed against scammers.

Hopefully as this list grows when innococents in the community do a google search it'll be able to help them identify scammers' email addresses.

Stay safe everyone and thank you scamwarners.com for being here!
#145271 by G.I.Bling Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 am
When you are looking at scams, you often hear about sellers scamming but not to much about the buyer scams. We search for more detail on buyers scams but was unsuccessful until I actual put the email address of the scammer and found this website. Regard to all those involved and hopefully mine and others peoples stories can prevent fair and honest people from being scammed.

The following events have occurred during the period 15-17 Jan 2013 and are cut straight from my emails, as I was almost scammed big time, but lucky for my hubby stepped in and took over. I'm a very trusting person, but now I'm a little bit stand offish because of what has occured over the past couple of days.

The scammer details are:
William Bolibruck, email address [email protected]

It all started when I put my car for sale on motorfind.com.au and I received a text message with an email address requesting best price for my car.

I wrote and emailed replying to the message and this is what happened.

Me:

To whom this is,

This is our email address, if you wish to know any details regarding the car. Please call on the mobile if you wish to view the vehicle.

Regards
Jon

Him:

Get back to me with your price asap so that I can make a reasonable offer cuz I have closed the ad page

Me (I got his name from the email address, as Mac computer does it automatically - William Bolidbruck)

Hi William,

Our best price is $7500 and our contact number is 0405138914.

Regards
Jon

Him:

Great reading from you. I believe you must have buyer's interested in the purchase . I am currently in the middle of the work duty.

To start with, I can only make the payment via paypal because it's very safe and secure for both of us. In case you don't have a paypal account I'll advice you to register for one at http://www.paypal.com.au. I won't be available to come for inspection due to my present location because I'll still be on the ship for the next 1 Month. I have a private pick-up agent that will contact you in-order to handle the pick-up at any location of your choice once the payment is completed.

Your asking price is cool with me and my best offer is $7,650.00. Hope my offer is acceptable ? If yes, I'll like you to Send me your paypal email address so that I can make the payment if you wish to proceed. Await your response asap.

Thanks!!

Me:

We will only accept cash on delivery of the merchandise. so when you or your agent comes to pick up the car you can pay then
Regards
Jon

Him:

Am sorry but I can only make the payment via paypal because am experiencing a technical problem with my internet banking for the past few weeks neither can I send a Bank draft or cashiers cheque. Its reliable and easy to use PayPal. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have any access to give my private courier Cash or Cheque but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it...

PayPal is an e-commerce business allowing payments and money transfers to be made through the Internet. PayPal serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods such as checks and money orders. Once you have created a paypal account, it must be linked to your credit card or your bank account so that the payment you have received into your paypal account can go into your credit card or your bank account. Once I have transferred the payment into your paypal account, you will be notified by paypal immediately that you have received a payment from me. Once the payment is sitting in your paypal account, it will be automatically transferred into your bank account . Hope you have a clear picture of how paypal operate now? Register (http://www.paypal.com.au) for a paypal account and let me know once it is up and running. Thanks !!

Me: Still believing that this might be ok, used my Paypal account and requested the payment, however according to Paypal the email address we had didn't have an account, this is when we started to look and think this might truly be a scam.

Him:

Thanks for your paypal email, I will contact my private agent now and proceed with the payment shortly. I will also appreciate it if you could remove your add online right away so that I can be rest assured that you will not accept any offer again cuz I will be making the full payment shortly..Thanks!!

Him Again:

Hey mate, the response I have just received from my private courier was that, they won't be able to come and pick up unless i pay them the commission fee of $1550 first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time and date, and my private courier headquarters is in China and all commission payments made for pickup from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the China and the only form of payments they accept is Western Union Money Transfer.

I will add the said $1550 to the money I will send through PayPal Account to your bank account. As soon as I made the payment, I will email you to inform you, please I will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in China through western union money transfer. This can be done from any western union post office, as there is always western union money transfer section in most post office.

I would have done it myself but there is no post office on the ship and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring aboard the ship and there is no post office on sea, so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, I'm a little incapacitated....I will be making the full payment now and email you as soon am done. I will appreciate your help here....

Thanks for been nice and considerate about this.

Me:

I have removed the add as requested, however will not action anything else until the money is in the account.

Him:

Hey mate, I just want to inform you that i have just completed the instant payment, i hope you must have been notified in your paypal email( [email protected])about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your paypal email INBOX or SPAM mail folder for confirmation of payment and to confirm your payment, I have just made the payment of $9,300, i have also decided to add the amount of $1650 which i paid through PayPal, so you can now send $1550 to my private courier agent via Western Union so that they can be able to come for the pick up. I will need you to send the $1550 to my private courier agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via Western Union Transfer.

I added extra $100 cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that $40-70 but just to be sure i added $100, Here is my private courier agent Headquarters info needed to get the money sent through western union transfer:

First Name: Kampinda
Surname: Mulenga
Address: Chaun mei da xue,
City: Beijing, State: Beijing,
Zip Code: 100024,

Please kindly email the necessary details to PayPal :The MTCN Number, which you will be given at the western union after the $1550 has been sent and also mail PayPal the scanned copy receipt, sender's name and address used to send the money through western union as well... Awaiting for your swift response asap.. Thanks !!

Him: Again

PayPal is instant....The funds will get into your account Immediately you send them the details you get from western union,You can go through the email you receive from PayPal they might i have said you should provide the western union details of the $1550 in other to verify and process the accreditation of your account.

So what you are to do is to go to the post office and send the $1550 to the Given address and make sure you get back to PayPal with the detail from western union by replying to the Confirmation email you received from them earlier and make sure you get back to me as soon as this is done so that i can put you through and i hope this is straight...

Thanks await your swift response...

Since the last email this morning I have made further contact with the individual. No money has appeared in my Paypal account and neither do I expected it anymore. I have since put my car back on the market and have written that No Scammer and must see in person, to try an prevent this occurring again. Feel a little silly but at least I got my head together before I sent any money to this individual.
#148401 by arg277 Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 am
Another to add to the list:

[email protected]

Took us to the point of him saying 'paying by western union' to catch on it was a scam. We have now receive threatening LEGAL ACTION letters. Having a good laugh each time we receive them.

US (after initial enquiry)
Hi Jason,

Our Jayco Swan Camper Trailer is still available. We had a man look at it on the weekend and he maybe placing a bid on ebay.

We have a starting bid on ebay of $16500 and a buy it now price for $17900. We would be happy to accept $17500 and withdraw the camper trailer from ebay.

SCAMMER

Thanks, as for this price it is ok. Due to demanding and eventful work i won't be able to come and view it myself, i am interested in the item and it is needed overseas. I will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from your side and have it delivered. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person, I'd be paying via PayPal or Bank transfer so kindly get back to me with your paypal or bank details for payment, cheers.

US

Hi Jason,

Our PayPal details are: [email protected]

I will withdraw the camper trailer from ebay and gumtree upon receiving payment of $17500 into our PayPal Account.

I will email you some more photo's as requested. Since you won't sight the camper trailer prior to purchase I will take a number of detailed photos for you. However, it has been raining here today and rain also forecast tomorrow so I'll need to wait till the rain passes. It is not a good idea to pack it away and store it wet.

When would you expect to have it collected?

SCAMMER

I will be sending funds ASAP. Like i said before, i have someone (a shipping company to be precise) who will handle the pick up, i will be needing the exact location/address for the pick up, in order to make arrangements with my shipping company for the pick up. I will be adding their charges to the total amount i will be paying you, i would need you to help me transfer their charges to my shippers via western union once you get my payment confirmation.

Thanks.

WE GET VERY SUSPICIOUS ONCE THE WORD WESTERN UNION IS USED.
BEFORE WE CAN RESPOND WE GET THIS NEXT EMAIL.

SCAMMER
Hello, I just completed the payment from my PayPal to your account (check your email properly including junk folder for the payment confirmation), a total of $19,600 was sent, $17,500 for the merchandise and the extra $2,100 for my shipper's charges including western union charges which you will be sending to the address below via western union.

Name: Kumaran Krishnan
Address: 50, Jalan Teluk Pulai
City: Klang
State: Selangor
Zip Code: 41100

My shipper would be coming around to your area to have the merchandise picked up once you have sent the shipping charges fee to them,as i need you to let me know what time you want them to come and where (your address & phone # you can be reached on)

I will be waiting to hear from you once the money has been sent to my shipper. Thanks for the business.

US
OK NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WE CHECK OUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT...NO MONEY. CHECK SCAMMER FAKE PAYPAL ACCOUNT....tells us money is being held until we pay the 'shipper'

so we respond
Hi Jason,

Having checked my paypal account there is no money there. As western union transfers are dangerous, I will not use untraceable sources.

THIS IS OUR LAST COMMUNICATION AS WE STOP RESPONDING...BUT THEY DON'T STOP.

SCAMMER
Hello. the money has been sent and the funds have been deducted from my account, you need to send the $2,100 upfront to my shipper through western union and email the western union details to paypal for verification so they can release the $19,600 into your account, email me once you make the transfer. Thanks

SCAMMER

Dear......
Thank you for using PayPal,

Note: PayPal verifies member's account on a regular basis, this transaction ID: 3YB24187X1471573T has been verified and approved by PayPal authority.

The total funds of $19,600.00 AUD is being held in our Database 101 and the funds will be released into your account once we receive the Western Union details from you.

You might not be able to view the current status of the transaction in your PayPal account recent activities or access the funds in your account until the transaction is completed.

You have 100% assurance from PayPal authority that your funds shall be released to your account instantly when we receive the money transfer details from you.

Please, we advice you go to nearest Western Union Location or send the money online at www.westernunion.com.au find below the name and address of the shipping agent where the funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Name: Kumaran Krishnan

Address: 50, Jalan Teluk Pulai,
City: Klang
State: Selangor
Zip Code: 41100

Once this requirement is met your funds will be released into your account instantly.

Please understand that we are taking this measure to safeguard both parties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Do not email/send the buyer the money transfer details until we have completely credited your account for security purpose.
Thank you for using PayPal,
PayPal makes it easy to send/receive money for your auctions.

SCAMMER THE THREATS START (a day later)

We have done the best we could but you are making things harder, you are one of trusted member and the best we can do is to make PayPal a safer way of online transaction, you have to send the $2,100.00 AUD and email us the Western Union Information and you will have the total of $19,600.00 AUD credited into your account. This maybe our last email to you about this transaction before we take legal action against you, don't forget we have all your details. We hope to serve you better in the nearest future.

We hope to make PayPal a better place to send and receive money,

Thanks for using PayPal,
PayPal Team.

SCAMMER LEGAL ACTION THREATS (2 days later)

We really want this transaction to work out but since you are not ready to show your understanding and cooperation. We will have to take things up through the tough proper authorities. We believe you read our security measures and company policies message and you are only waiting to test the strength of our securities by not responding positively to our email notifications and acting according to our instructions, you have violated our security measures and we will have your profile details and account details with us passed to the Federal Bureau Of Investigation, the Internet Fraud Crime Commission and the Australian Police Department so as to ease their stress of tracking you down and delivering proper justice on you.

As a payment company we have our rules and regulations and we strongly believe that by you using our services. It means you agree to our terms and trust our guide for an efficient and safe transaction. Obviously, you have failed to follow our instructions and proven to be recalcitrant to our guides therefore we assume you to be either a non cooperating customer or one of the numerous online fraudsters PayPal is working hard to put an end to.

According to the safety measures we take when handling transactions involving huge sums, We shall not fail to proceed into the next step which is our legal actions proceedings. This message will be our last alert to you and if we do not read from you within a short period, then be sure to receive visitors fighting internet corruptions from all governmental agencies in your local area and international standards.

As PayPal is not a hostile company, we are giving you a 12hours grace to get back to us with the requested details. If by the end of the given period, we have not received the requested details from you, we reserve the right to infringe and forward your information on file with us (which includes your contact details, DOB and telephone lines) to all governmental agencies backing us, this also includes the immigration officials and we shall as well close your PayPal account.

This message is not a threat by PayPal but a legal step that we take in order to ensure a safer environment for all our users.

We request for the scanned receipt of the western union money transfer to prove sending of the excess funds in less than 12hours and once we receive these details, we will release your funds into your account or otherwise face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.

This is done in accordance to our policy and in other to protect both the seller and buyer.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -------------------------

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team.

SCAMMER Back to Jason Ross emailing a last ditched effort after legal action fails. (4 days later)

Hey, I demand to know what is going on regarding this transaction, When are you going to send the money to my shipper? Please stop wasting time and let me know what is going on, Thanks
#148403 by TerranceBoyce Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:58 am
we will have your profile details and account details with us passed to the Federal Bureau Of Investigation, the Internet Fraud Crime Commission and the Australian Police Department

It seems most likely that he's based in Malaysia and his threats are complete drivel.

He's used it before :=) a year ago.

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&p=87568

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#148673 by KTQ Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 am
Just adding more names and emails to the long list above as I received 2 SMS messages regarding an ad I put on Gumtree to sell my car yesterday. I answered one as it sounded legit but got this email reply:

Thanks for the swift response. Am really impressed in purchasing and i need to make the payment right away as i need it urgently and kindly inform if you have other items for sale as i need some stuff for my new apartment and also am not in state right now and am willing to make payment via PayPal or bank transfer to your account and as well pick up will be made by a shipping company once payment is made to your account. Kindly get back to me with your paypal email address or bank details i.e bank name, account number and bsb so i can proceed with payment and pick up can as well be made immediately. I shall be waiting on your soonest mail once you receive my message.

Thanks and please kindly inform other buyers it is already sold.

Be blessed.

The email address was [email protected] (email header says it's from Cole Jacob). The other SMS said to reply by email to [email protected] and I was suspicious of it as soon as I read it as it said I'd like to know the final price for your AD on GTREE as I would like to purchase - who buys a car without looking at it?? (not bothering to answer that one).

Cheers
KTQ