Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#156381 by Mickii Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 pm
Here is Scammer Number 2: this is still works in progress :)

(Start from Bottom and Read Up)

danobrien32@gmail - AKA Rev Daniel O'Brien <---- trying to make himself all religious type this one LOL

What are your listings as am interested in buying lot of items online

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Michael McMillan wrote:

Hi Daniel,
Please can you tell me what advertisement you saw on Gumtree as I have 3 items listed there, as soon as you can tell me what advertisement you saw then we can arrange from there

Regards

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:01 AM
To: Michael McMillan
Subject: Re: Gumtree

Thanks for the response. Am interested in making the purchase right away as i want it picked up and delivered today if you are willing to complete this transaction with me today. I will be needing urgently and i really want it picked up by a shipping company today. I will like to know the payment method as i can only make payment via paypal or bank transfer at the moment as am out of town and i want it delivered to Malaysia. I will like you to get back to me with your paypal email address or bank details such as bank name, account name and number so i can proceed with payment.. I assure you not to let you down.

Thanks.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Michael McMillan wrote:

Hi Dan
Which advert on gumtree are you looking at as I have a few on there

Regards

The first message came through as a txt on mobile phone so not posted here.

Below is headers from Email
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:58:36 +0100
Received: from mi008.mc1.hosteurope.de ([80.237.138.247])
by wp026.webpack.hosteurope.de running ExIM with esmtp
id 1UFAjs-0001g4-Dh; Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:58:36 +0100
Received: from mail-ia0-f196.google.com ([209.85.210.196])
by mx0.webpack.hosteurope.de (mi008.mc1.hosteurope.de) with esmtp
id 1UFAjr-0007YS-MA
for Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:58:36 +0100
Received: by mail-ia0-f196.google.com with SMTP id l25so1022740iad.11
for <[email protected]>; Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id
:subject:from:to:content-type;
bh=Lgm/J45KrUIvBMaafIhNECIQ2F73e5mKZrMXZhigS6o=;
b=UBkW2N+Fmr8Qt1BNHWlI1GKIFwqTSS0pedCxApReMDETPrFcq/RDUKiiSIN/b+kvzh
FQdUqB3vlBMg4jyZf1/jmK/H+7CiAWsfOF8bgRnWpfTn9vbEEd462cJBKizSVV/vHv4p
WFBq6aELs9PjIhhNNjDqdY89+xJeyT0LQUxXnTRvra2+byRiKdh93NjQhZcPNSO31EAH
0q7gBNRotS7x0h5mkyPCTxBG7DpYqbuBw6gkGyEmaTkvET57z52T0reKHPlT5fJ0DUh9
r5ZcuF+5N6orocZQDEcar7jWZ/F6coYkluQCP42+uvUMZuLTzLts7G55O1Msiw1drOyK
xp/A==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.50.191.199 with SMTP id ha7mr9199876igc.70.1363039114196;
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.50.196.199 with HTTP; Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <1EE91C565D964BED814F53143EDACF57@MichaelMcMillan>
References: <412D6A722C264EE49B9560631D459374@MichaelMcMillan>
<CAPJAcfOnvxYTX-PAsBwT05uwrdNQwpwp1Nfh7cTZoxj2Tz5-Mw@mail.gmail.com>
<1EE91C565D964BED814F53143EDACF57@MichaelMcMillan>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 05:58:33 +0800
Message-ID: <CAPJAcfPfbnRBda6wKaXvT=5j1ftJEsjbdVxaDbqcfpBON2+-Cg@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gumtree
To: "Michael McMillan
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=14dae93404d537cbe904d7ad4676
X-HE-Spam-Level: ++
X-HE-Spam-Score: 2.2
X-HE-Spam-Report: Content analysis details: (2.2 points)
pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
-0.7 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, low
trust
[209.85.210.196 listed in list.dnswl.org]
2.5 RCVD_IN_SORBS_HTTP RBL: SORBS: sender is open HTTP proxy server
[209.85.210.196 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider
(danobrien32[at]gmail.com)
0.2 FREEMAIL_ENVFROM_END_DIGIT Envelope-from freemail username ends in
digit (danobrien32[at]gmail.com)
0.1 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
0.0 T_FILL_THIS_FORM_SHORT Fill in a short form with personal information
X-HE-SPF: PASSED
Advertisement

#156501 by sidney Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 am
Hi everyone, I,ve already posted about the so-called Wayne Mathen, but as I continue to read more posts about this person, I feel so frustrated and cheesed off as it appears nothing is or CAN be done to catch the loser. As Bubbles & Bryon say, they constantly change there identity in a few minutes. Surely can't Gumtree do something???, I emailed Gumtree about it, all I got was "yes it sounds like a scam and to be careful " basically, that was it. I thought if you gave your bank details, people can only deposit, not withdraw?? Same with Pay Pal, thought that was sucure?? obviously I was wrong. All these people posting about this scam are the lucky ones that didn't fall for it, I feel so sorry for the people that did fall for it and got ripped -off. Its so wrong and I guess Wayne or whoever he is, is just taking it all in big time. My first time to sell on Gumtree and never will again.I sold my scooter,demanded cash only, and I got it. This Wayne person, has certainly put me off selling on-line for good. God, I hope they catch him. Robyn
#157144 by ebrown Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 pm
Please add [email protected] and [email protected] to the list of known scammers. They sent me identical emails to the ones listed here after posting an add on gumtree- asking for paypal details and pick-ups without ever seeing items for sale etc.

Hope this helps other people out there!
#158400 by video Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm
Hi,
I have just completed the Payment from my paypal account to your Bank Account and i am sure you have received the confirmation from PayPal regarding the Payment made. You can check your e-mail,spam folder and junk for confirmation of payment.a total of $2,150.00 was sent, $1,500.00 for the merchandise and the extra $600.00 for the shipper's and $50.00 for western union charges,which you will be sending to the address below via western union via western union either at the post office or online at www.westernunion.com.au

Ramanathan Salverinathan
38, Meranti Jaya,
City: Puchong
State: Kuala Lumpur,
Zip Code: 58200

Copies word for word. Email used (to be aware of) was [email protected]
#159679 by jazza Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 am
Add Riley Jones to the list..
[email protected]

very similar gumtree or paypal scam.. prospective buyer was not interested in inspecting what he was buying. was not supplied a proper contact number. was asked to respond via email. similar back story.. possibly the same scammer.

*edit* below is the scammers message

Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i am buying this for son and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal) here.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message deliver to your phone but for now we can only communicate through the same mailing channel.await your reply asap.

Thanks

Jones
#160144 by ribena Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am
Hi. Very glad I searched for "Paypal scam" and found this website.
Please add Isabella Adams, [email protected] to the watch list.
Started off as above with an unusual text message with email address linked. They seem to be taking a more slowly, slowly approach now - see below. I should have noticed something was amiss with the dodgy grammar...
Many thanks.

1st email - "Thanks for the prompt reply. My name is Isabella Adams. I believe my son sent you a text message to email me for the sale. I will like to know the lowest price for it and i want you to get back to me with more pictures and its current condition because i can't come over to inspect it. I am buying it locally here as a gift for my son that is living in Malaysia.
I am at sea at the moment as i am an Oceanographer ( i work on South Pacific Ocean in east of New Zealand ) and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted. It was my son that check your advert and sent you a text to contact me (his mother ) on my email address because i am currently offshore .
I am really sure he will be more than happy if i am able to purchase it from you because this is what he want and chose from the Advert.
You need not worry yourself about how it will get to him there in Malaysia as i have a contact of shipping company there that will be handling the pick up and all the paper work.
"

2nd email - "Thanks for the pictures. I'd like to know certain things too
Are you the first owner?
Does it have any mechanical disabilities presently?
What is your reason for selling it?
I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed.
"

3rd tipping point email - "Thanks for the information, it was really of immense help. I am really interested in buying it and i want to go ahead with the purchase, i am pleased with the price but I can only conclude the transaction through PayPal for our own protection,PayPal act as a neutral third party. it is safe,secure and reliable.

I insisted on PayPal mode of payment because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it and also due to the fact that i am currently offshore and I won't definitely be able to make it to my bank to wires money across to you.It is what safe and convenient for me.
"
#160828 by justin13 Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm posting this in case he tries the same name, email and phone number again; one of his current alter egos is "Paul Datford" <[email protected]>. I'm selling my car on gumtree and got a text reply from 0428 465 117. After that it's mostly the same story as for everyone else:

"Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply."

Looking back this was kind of absurd, the ad said clearly that the car is in Brisbane. Why would he be looking for a car thousands of miles from where he lives - and be willing to pay some 4000$ for a car he's never seen? But i think "well, that's his choice", and the conversation goes on - and then he comes with the same story he's told everyone else, asking me to send 950$ to:

"Name: Zhangyun Ni
Address:12 ding fu jia yuan
City: Beijing
State: Beijing
Zip Code: 100024

So i get onto google and find this thread which confirms my suspicions. A funny detail is that in one of the fake PayPal emails i got, "PayPal" is promising me:

"Because of the inconvenience this causes we are giving you the next two incoming transfers for free! You will pay no fees for your next two incoming transfers*. "

Yeah right. Why would they do this for me when it's "Paul" who is asking me to do a favour? Also, "Paul" told me to check my junk mail folder for the "Paypal" emails if they werent if the inbox. Funny how he knew they might be there!

The only thing that's got me a little worried is whether i should change the email address linked to my Paypal account?

Anyway, i told him to "go and make love to yourself", though in somewhat more colorful language. He hasn't replied since.
#160832 by Bryon Williams Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 am
Welcome to Scamwarners justin13,

The scammer does not care if you are one mile or on another continent away from him. In this scam he does not want your car. He wants to steal your money. In that fake Paypal email he sent you there was an over payment in it. He would want you to send the extra money to his mover/agent. The mover/agent is the scammer himself or an accomplice (knowing or unknowing).

With the email address you gave him in reference to your Paypal address do not worry about it. The only thing that may happen, is you may receive further scam mail to that email address.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#160871 by [email protected] Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:16 am
Here is another one from [email protected]

Thanks for the mail....I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently overseas at the moment and i want it picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me or bank transfer as well safe. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at www.paypal.com if you dont have one or your bank details for me to make payment. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.

Cheers and pls inform other buyers you sold it as am ready to purchase it right away....Nathan
#161608 by lnigro Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 am
I just received the same message from "[email protected] as per below:

Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply.

The phone number he used to message mewas: +61428465117.
Thanks to the previous people who shared their stories about this scammer as you have saved me from getting scammed.
#161759 by baboim Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:35 am
Hey everyone today i received an email from the following Email Address ([email protected])

Thanks for the prompt reply. My name is Isabella Adams. I believe my son sent you a text message to email me for the sale. I will like to know the lowest price for it and i want you to get back to me with more pictures and its current condition because i can't come over to inspect it. I am buying it locally here as a gift for my son that is living in Malaysia.
I am at sea at the moment as i am an Oceanographer ( i work on South Pacific Ocean in east of New Zealand ) and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted. It was my son that check your advert and sent you a text to contact me (his mother ) on my email address because i am currently offshore .
I am really sure he will be more than happy if i am able to purchase it from you because this is what he want and chose from the Advert.
You need not worry yourself about how it will get to him there in Malaysia as i have a contact of shipping company there that will be handling the pick up and all the paper work.

Goes by the name Isabella Adams Please do not fall for anything this person has to offer i hope i was able to save someone time and money good luck

Baboim.
#161794 by Bryon Williams Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm
Thanks to all the new posters who are posting the scammers scripts and email addresses. Your post will help others avoid being scammed.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#162205 by LJ123 Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 am
Please add [email protected]

Similar story as the rest. I have had three of these scammers today alone...

The latest email reads:
"I Agree with price you willing to sell it , i will be happy to paying directly into your paypal account without any delay. I would have prefer to see or inspection it but am busy, i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i will be paying you with the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come over for the pick up at your door after the payment have been made, .You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap"

So I replied with the 'No' cat... fool....
#162240 by Bryon Williams Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 pm
Hello LJ123 and welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for posting the script and email address the scammer/thief used. You will help others not to be scammed when they search for the email address or script.

Bryon

#162976 by nicbruzzese Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am
I have tried to sell my Ibanez guitar on Gumtree with the same results. Pamela has sent me $900 with the request that $250 gets wired to an offshore account and someone will come to my house and pick up the goods, I was too blind at first when she asked for my address, and i gave it to her, Was that a mistake at all? Has anyone else done this and something happened? Anyway, ill post the whole conversation down.

Firm price would be $400

Pamela Morgan
3:00 PM (9 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for the mail, i am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price, please kindly get back to me with your paypal email account to set up purchase, i will arrange for pick up after the cleared payment via paypal. Also more pics will be welcome.

Many Thanks

<[email protected]>
3:05 PM (9 hours ago)

to Pamela
Hey.

Email back is more than welcome. Unfortunately i do not have a paypal account. Is there anyway of sending money via bank transfer? Ill send you more pictures in the next email.

Thanks

Pamela Morgan
3:12 PM (9 hours ago)

to me
Ok good,do get back to me with your bank details, so i can proceed
with payment and contact my pickup agent to arrange a convenient
pickup time with you once payment is been sorted by me

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:05:26 +1000
Subject: RE: 2012 Ibanez RG7321 BK 7 String Black **URGENT** and Desktop PC **URGENT**

<[email protected]>
3:23 PM (9 hours ago)

to Pamela
Ok. Bank details are as follows. And please find attached more pictures

Bank: **********
Bsb: ******
Acc: ********

Also, is this for both the guitar and the computer? I just realised the subject on the email.

Thanks

Pamela Morgan
6:47 PM (6 hours ago)

to me
i will be going for the payment now so kindly let me know if you have receive the payment confirmation and so that i will contact the pick-agent as soon as possible to inform them about the pick-up. We advise you to kindly please withdraw the item from the ad...

I just want to inform you that i have just completed the payment and i hope you must have been notified in your email about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your e-mail box or junk folder for confirmation of payment, I have just made the payment of $900, i have decided to add the amount of $300 which i paid through PayPal , So please i will like you to help me wire the sum of $250 to my pickup agent via western union so he can be able to come for the pick up and also PayPal said they won't release the funds until they get the western union information from you due to the fact that i emailed them about the excess payment i made.i will need you to send the $250 to my pick up agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via western union money transfer( this can be done from the post office,Bank or online at (http://www.westernunion.com) as they usually have a western union agent there), i added extra $50 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that $20-$30 but just to be sure i added $50,and that is why i sent $900 Here is my pick up agent

Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name: Sandra Kelving
Address: No 12 johnson Street,
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo State
Zip Code : 23402

please get the necessary details sent to PayPal (Money Transfer Control Number) MTCN and senders name and address used to send the $250 so that they can release the whole fund into your account. Please get back to me with the pick up address...

Cheers.

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:23:37 +1000
Subject: RE: 2012 Ibanez RG7321 BK 7 String Black **URGENT** and Desktop PC **URGENT**
To: [email protected]

Ok. Bank details are as follows. And please find attached more pictures

Bank: xxxxxxxxx
Bsb: xxxxxxx
Acc: xxxxxxx

Also, is this for both the guitar and the computer? I just realised the subject on the email.

Thanks

On 19/04/2013 3:12 PM, "Pamela Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
Ok good,do get back to me with your bank details, so i can proceed
with payment and contact my pickup agent to arrange a convenient
pickup time with you once payment is been sorted by me

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:05:26 +1000

Hey.

Email back is more than welcome. Unfortunately i do not have a paypal account. Is there anyway of sending money via bank transfer? Ill send you more pictures in the next email.

Thanks

On 19/04/2013 3:00 PM, "Pamela Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
Thank you for the mail, i am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price, please kindly get back to me with your paypal email account to set up purchase, i will arrange for pick up after the cleared payment via paypal. Also more pics will be welcome.

Many Thanks

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:59:47 +1000
Subject: Re: 2012 Ibanez RG7321 BK 7 String Black **URGENT** and Desktop PC **URGENT**

Firm price would be $400

On 19/04/2013 2:48 PM, "Pamela Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

<[email protected]>
12:26 AM (23 minutes ago)

to Pamela
Hey.

I am having trouble understanding what i need to do. You say that i need to get $250 to your western union agent before paypal will release the funds, does this mean that the $250 will be coming out of the paypal payment or am i going to have to put out $250 and the paypal transaction will fix me up.

Also this is the pickup address;

Removed
Removed, Removed 3xxx
AUSTRALIA.

Would you also kindly write down step by step the process i need to go through. And is this also for the computer and guitar or just the guitar?

Thanks;

xxxx Removed

<[email protected]>
12:39 AM (10 minutes ago)

to Pamela
Hello,

I request that you do not contact me again as this is a scam. I will not go though the instructions listed in your previous emails and I also request that all mail sent to you be deleted. If not, there will be legal action taken.

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=155997

Thank you

Have I taken the correct steps to stop this?

xxx
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information and added quotes for clarification.