Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#174713 by okosh Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 pm
lionel99 wrote:I was told to send Western Union payment to:
Natalie Hoskin
46A Scalby Street
Doubleview, WA 6018
Australia

At least the address is real....But there is no person of that name that I can find in WA...
Advertisement

#174715 by lionel99 Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm
I have sent the details to Western Union.
Surely they have something in the system for putting in names to alert them if someone tries to collect under that name ? There has to be an actual person that goes to the Western Union office to collect the money so maybe if everyone gave Western Union these details, the network of people involved would start to decrease.
#175485 by narelle Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:24 am
and here he is again - do not hand this theif anything

Thanks for the response,am ready to buy the it and pay $7,700 by paypal and including PayPal surcharges since i am interested in the immediate purchase for my step Father as a surprise gift he just moved to the NZ where this is needed and i will be making use of a shipping company to have this picked up from you and have it delivered to him .Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid you,advice soon i am an oceanographer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an SMS regarding it.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP,And if you don't have a paypal account, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up.

I will need this following details so i can proceed with the payment right away.

Are you the first owner:
Your PayPal e-Mail Address:
full name:
What is your reason for selling it?
Address:

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed, i will be happy if you remove the AD from the site and consider me as your favourite buyer by ignoring all other offers

Due Regard.
#176391 by jacq82 Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:40 am
[b]Hi all,

I have just received these emails today from a Mark Philis. It reads as follows:

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Regards
Mark

I was just about to fall for it but I thought i should google him because it just seemed to good to be true.

Jacq
#176394 by TerranceBoyce Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 am
Welcome to Scamwarners jacq82.

There isn't actually any logic to the proposition. It just appeals to a seller's desire to sell their item quickly and easily with the minimum of hassle, but the minute a buyer tries to get a seller to make any payment it's a scam.

If the buyer can pay you by Paypal, he can pay the shipping company himself, and why can't he give you their Paypal details. The fact that he insists you accept payment by Paypal and pay the pretend company by Western Union, is a dead giveaway. Of course the company will have just a personal name.

If you can post details of the e-mail address this scammer is currently using it'll help other people to avoid falling victim to him.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#176513 by lotolliver Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to ScamWarners, I just avoided to be scammed !!
Do not trust [email protected] !!! A certain " White Katie Lee " offered on Gumtree an accommodation with at a reasonable price ! But I just figured it out that this email address was actually a scammer !! DAMN IT !! I was really happy to find an accommodation. I send to this person, my ID, passport and licence driving with some details like date or birth, sex, ... Do you think it is a problem?

I will try to make her change her email address like this people like me can find out that they have to avoid this person !
#176699 by MartinLindsay Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 am
Same phone number 0428465117, different email address [email protected]. Sent me SMS and asked to reply to private email address...

Alarm bells when... why would you pay $1200 for a $1000 bike, what is with the 7-11?

"When i was about to made the payment when i had a little problem with the mover they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time when they receive their money for the pick up via Money Gram money transfer in their head office in NSW.

. So i included $450 for their pick up fee and $50 for the Money Gram charges to the payment i sent to your paypal account and PayPal will instruct you on how to get the money sent to my mover. Make sure you get it done once you received the payment confirmation .

Please make the transfer at the 7-Eleven store OR any outlet around you , immediately you received the payment confirmation from paypal.

Thank you"

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:45:42 +0800
Hi Alex,

Thanks, the Paypal account is ****. Once payment has processed I will forward details of the address in **** and a mobile number for the courier to arrange a time to pick up.

Thanks for your business and I hope you enjoy the bike.

Xxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 19 September 2013 7:29 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Bianchi bicycle

I Agree with the price you willing to sell it , i will be happy to paying directly into your paypal account without any delay. I would have prefer to see or inspection it but am busy, i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i will be paying you with the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come over for the pick up at your door after the payment have been made, .You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to http://www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap

Added quotations. (BW)
#177137 by gorski Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 am
Here's another email: [email protected] and his name is Glenn Rodgers

Was selling my piano on ebay and only ticked me off once he mentioned western union. It instantly reminded me of a pet scam I encountered early last year when I wanted to purchase a puppy. I started rereading the emails and the grammar is horrendous ("in the China," really?) Western Union is just dodgy, I will never trust that shi*t. I asked the guy back "Why don't you send the money through Western Union then, it's really safe isn't it?" Seriously what scums. Here is the email:

Thanks for the reply....I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently overseas at the moment and i want it picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me or bank transfer as well safe. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at www.paypal.com if you dont have one or your bank details for me to make payment. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.

I will be sending funds ASAP via paypal to your bank account shortly as.Like i said before,i have someone(a shipping company to be precise) who will handle the pick up and paypal is organizing them as i can't be able to come for the pick up myself so i handed over this transaction to paypal and they have the address where it will be delivered to. I will be adding their charges to the total amount i will be paying you,the pick up agent head quarters is in the China and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the China and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer i would need you to help me transfer their charges to my shippers via western union once you get my payment confirmation. Best Regards
#177141 by TerranceBoyce Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am
Welcome to Scamwarners gorski.

gorski wrote: I asked the guy back "Why don't you send the money through Western Union then, it's really safe isn't it?"

You gave him some common sense logic to chew on, and he spat it out, because the scam doesn't work if you do it that way.

The scammer relies on simple tactics used by street hustlers and major league fraudsters who've even managed to sell the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower and London Bridge with a little more sophistication.

The basis is the spoofed message you'll get pretending to come from Paypal, and the reason he instructs you to set up Paypal is that actually he knows he has better chances against a Paypal newbie, so if he finds one, he must help them all he can.

It's cunningly simple and effective until you've seen the trick or had it explained, but like all magic tricks, it's worthless once everybody knows how it's done.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#177185 by joslun Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm
Hi ,
Posted my car for sale on Gumtree and got email within hours from the infamous [email protected] via sms.
Asked if the car was still for sale and could I confirm by personal email to the gmail address given above.
Needless to say, I immediately smelled a rat and checked this site.
Sure enough who should pop up on here - lucky Cambell.

Be aware folks - their out there. The world use to be a better place before the internet!
#177197 by TerranceBoyce Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 am
Scammers often use free online SMS services to send bulk messages, so if you get one referring to your 'car' it's worth calling back the number because bulk services won't reply, but a genuine one most likely will. They don't want to speak to you as a Nigerian scammer likely speaks 'pidgin' English that you won't comprehend, which is a big giveaway.

#177491 by richard.m.baker Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:04 am
Just signed up for this board as I am selling a caravan on Gumtree and received a very prompt reply from mobile
+61 428465117
name is Ryan Brooks
email [email protected]
refers to 'gumtree AD' (sic)

Text identical to one posted earlier in this thread
'Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15 days off and 15 days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your BSB and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct. '

Just wanted to add the email and name to the lengthening list !
#177568 by teddy1954 Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:20 pm
Beware: [email protected], Gumtree scammer is still out there :twisted: , tried his trick on us today, dead give away with the fake "Mate" terminology and suggested payment, pick up goods via container etc etc....
#177729 by sixsupersix Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm
BEWARE OF THE BELOW EMAILS

[email protected] Terry Stella
[email protected] Theresa Wilson
[email protected] Matinim M
[email protected] Victoria Kate

I placed ads last night on Gumtree and received replies from the above email addresses. The language and grammar used made me immediately think it was a scam. When they asked to ship it to Africa even though they were in the UK I decided to play along with them and doubled my price. Then I tripled my price, which was still fine for them. They said they will send a shipping agent to collect the goods, never stating what I was selling. I told them I work for a shipping company and can ship worldwide for free and the emails stopped.
:laugh-s: