Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#111806 by cayden2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 pm
I'll provide the email conversation going on between the seller and I. Several things make me go "hey scam!" but there are several that say otherwise. This is for a car that I am selling online.

Ryan gmail.com> Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM
To: [email protected]
There should be a link on the ad online that links to the evox forums with more pictures and description

ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Reply-To: ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]>
To: Ryangmail.com>
Thanks for the update, please what is your lowest price?

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:18 AM
Subject: Evo x
There should be a link on the ad online that links to the evox forums with more pictures and description

Ryan gmail.com> Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM
To: ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]>
The asking price is 29 and I have two people lined up to pay 29, so the price will not be lowered.

[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Are you local or would you need it shipped?
[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM
The other two buyers backed out. 27 would be the lowest I would go.

[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM
To: Ryan gmail.com>
27k, please let me know

Sent: Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Evo x
[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Thanks for your mail, I think am happy with your price, I wish to complete the payment soon so that I will assume the new owner of the vehicle. Actually I bought a vehicle from a seller in Atlanta GA at the price of $35,000 and I sent payment to him, on getting to the pick up my shipper and agent discovered that the vehicle has had an accident before and the seller did not inform me of this so I had to cancel the transaction.

I have informed him that I have seen another vehicle with a lesser price and have instructed him that he will be sending the funds to you and he accepted, though he said that he will deduct $100 from the total funds as the listing expenses since he will place the vehicle to the advert. He also told me that his credit union allows a refund payment on one cashier's check only.

So, he will be sending the whole funds($35,000) to you. Since your vehicle is cheaper ($27,000), the difference ($8,000) would be used to offset shipping charges and other expences. You will have to deduct your price once
payment gets to you.

I will advice my shipper and agent to contact you for the pickup as soon as you receive the payment and other necessary documents will either be collected from you at the point of pick-up or sent via fedex courier to me.
Confirm this and provide the following details :
(1) Name (certified cashiers check will be made payable to)
(2) Address ( the check will be delivered to)
(3) Phone number
For check payment to be delivered to you via registered mail. Thanks for your understanding hope to hear from you soon

Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:45 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Will you so 27?

[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Where are you located?

[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM
And who is this agent you speak of?

[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for your mail, I think am happy with your price, I wish to complete the payment soon so that I will assume the new owner of the vehicle. Actually I bought a vehicle from a seller in Atlanta GA at the price of $35,000 and I sent payment to him, on getting to the pick up my shipper and agent discovered that the vehicle has had an accident before and the seller did not inform me of this so I had to cancel the transaction.

I have informed him that I have seen another vehicle with a lesser price and have instructed him that he will be sending the funds to you and he accepted, though he said that he will deduct $100 from the total funds as the listing expenses since he will place the vehicle to the advert. He also told me that his credit union allows a refund payment on one cashier's check only.

So, he will be sending the whole funds($35,000) to you. Since your vehicle is cheaper ($27,000), the difference ($8,000) would be used to offset shipping charges and other expences. You will have to deduct your price once payment gets to you.
I will advice my shipper and agent to contact you for the pickup as soon as you receive the payment and other necessary documents will either be collected from you at the point of pick-up or sent via fedex courier to me.
Confirm this and provide the following details :
(1) Name (certified cashiers check will be made payable to)
(2) Address ( the check will be delivered to)
(3) Phone number

For check payment to be delivered to you via registered mail. Thanks for your understanding hope to hear from you soon

Thank you.

ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Hello
I will call you as soon as I can
Here is my contact for the bill of sale:

294 Hillcrest Rd
Keswick, ON L4P 3C8

Please go ahead and provide your name, address and phone number for the certified cashiers check payment processing and delivery.
Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:12 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
You didn't answer my questions.

[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Who is this agent you speak of? last person I spoke to who mentioned a 'agent' was a scam artist

[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Also, there is a small lien on the vehicle, so one check will have to go to the bank and the other to me.

[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Hello
Its a certified cashiers check, its as good as cash. I hope the vehicle will be fixed before pickup?
I will call you as soon as I can
Here is my contact for the bill of sale:

294 Hillcrest Rd
Keswick, ON L4P 3C8
Please go ahead and provide your name, address and phone number for the certified cashiers check payment processing and delivery.
Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:00 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
What do you mean fixed? Nothing is wrong with the vehicle. You also never answered my question as to who this agent you spoke of is.

[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM
To: Ryan Molloy <[email protected]>
The agent will handle everything concerning pickup. Please provide your name, address and phone number for the check payment.
Thank you

Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 3:53 PM
[Quoted text hidden]
Ryan gmail.com> Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:37 AM
As I had previously mentioned, there is a lien on the car and two checks will be required. 1 to the bank for the payoff of the loan and the other to me for the difference. If this can't be done then I am afraid we cannot proceed any further.
[Quoted text hidden]
ALAYNA BEECHER <[email protected]> Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Hello
You settle the bank from the entire fund once you receive the payment. If you are still interested in concluding this transaction, please email me your name, address and phone number for the check payment.
Thank you

Red flags to me- She mentioned agent, she is in canada, she is adamant i provide all the information, and the fact that there is a second car that was magically found to have been in a wreck.

Green flags- The fact that she is in canada, this car sells for much more up there, people commonly buy them here and import them. There were no time constraints placed on the time from when I cash a check and when I give the money. She tried to negotiate, previous scammers just flat out said they would give me what I was asking.

I am not sure how to track the IP address of where the email address is coming from, I supposed that would clue me in on more if it is legit or not.
Advertisement

#111807 by cayden2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm
Horray for the internetz. I looked up how to check for IP address in emails. I came up with an email address in Nigeria, which makes me think SCAM SCAM SCAM

IP Address:

Here are the results from a few Geolocation providers. Accuracy of geolocation data may vary from a provider to provider. Test drive yourself, and decide on the provider that you like.

Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB4)
IP Address Country Region City ISP
41.220.69.17 Nigeria Lagos Lagos Mtn Nigeria
Google Map for LAGOS, LAGOS, NIGERIA (New window)

Geolocation data from IPligence (Product: Max)
IP Address Country Region City ISP
41.220.69.17 Nigeria Lagos Mtn Nigeria
Continent Latitude Longitude Time Zone
Africa 6.45 3.4 GMT+1