Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#282509 by JBrummer Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:37 am
Watch out for this one:

Hello,

You will find all the pictures attached to this email.
Since I have a written contract with the shipping company they will handle this sale for me and they will act as a third party between us. I can give you the website of the Spain shipping company where my car is held and you can get in touch with them.They will explain the entire procedure regarding payment and shipping.I also hope that the car being in Spain is not a major inconvenience for you.I know that at this price I will find a buyer in no time, so this isn't a major inconvenience for me.This process takes between 3 and 5 working days.
The shipping fees are already paid.
Shipping company are open from 08:00 to 16:00 British time, so you can contact them Monday morning.

In case you wish to check it the registration number is : LC64VVF
Registration Date: 08/01/2015
Fuel: Diesel
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 2.0 (1968 cc)
BHP: 181 bhp
VIN: WVWZZZAUZFW186070
Advertisement

#335932 by chris0241 Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:54 pm
Had email earlier in the week from a seller offering a Land Rover Discovery Commercial from Pori, Finland.

Similar story... engaged in about 5 back and forth emails. They nearly took me in, I thought I'd found a harbour on Google Earth in the village in Finalnd they claimed to have moved to where the photos were taken. Thank God I found this forum, I'll post the text in the hope Google keywords it and it saves others too.

BTW, The reported mileage on the car was wrong too :)

ferris terrence john <[email protected]>
Hello,
My car is in very good working, mechanical and cosmetic condition, no accidents. Reg number is LM14GVD, 61.000 miles with FSH, HPI clear, I have attached pictures including the HPI check. I'm located in Pori, Finland as I moved here with my work 1 month ago. I'm selling because I got a new left-hand-drive car from work which is much suitable for driving around here than a rhd car. I can assist with shipping if you are not able to come and pick up and I can cover most of the shipping fees as well. I can sell you the car for £14200 including shipping.
Let me know.
Regards,
John

Once I'd engaged I got the following email:
ferris terrence john <[email protected]>
Hello Chris,
As I told you in my first email, I moved with my job to Pori, Finland and I took the car with me. The car is still registered in UK with all taxes paid there and is without any accident. I talked with my wife and we can sell for £14,200 including shipping to your address. It will take approx 4-5 days for the car to arrive to your address. A coworker of mine who bought a car from Germany recommended me a service offered by a British shipping company which can help us. Here is how the whole process works. They will act like a third party between us to ensure the whole transaction. This means you pay them a deposit (by credit card, so you can be 100% protected), they deliver the car to your address, you get 10 days inspection period and if everything is ok on your part I get paid by them. If anything is not as described then you will get a full refund from them and the car will be picked up from your address. Let me know.
Thank you,
John
#337635 by AlanJones Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:02 am
Where it was found is irrelevant, scammers advertise anywhere they think they will find victims.

Please help other victims by posting the email address used by the scammer.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.