Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#114529 by Ryan Hains Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:29 pm
Fawaz Smith Craigslist-fake check scammer
[email protected]
Also uses:
[email protected] as seen here: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/scam?before=1326061177

This is usually where the victim is selling an item online. If you are selling small high value items the scammer will hope that you ship it before the fake check bounces.

If you are selling a large item the scammer does not want your 'item'. The scammer will indicate interest in buying the item but want to send a FAKE check for more than the asking price for the item, requesting the seller to cash or deposit the check and send the overage to a third party, often a supposed shipping company. The "shipping company" or other third party is either the same scammer or his accomplice.

Hello,
I really appreciate your response to my email, i am completely
satisfied with the advert and do consider it sold to me, i agreed
with the price but i need you to withdraw the advert from Craigslist
to avoid disturbance. I would love to come and check it myself but I
am getting married next week and am very busy at the moment. but you
don't need to bother yourself with the Shipment, I'll be responsible
with the pick up, I'll send a Certified check to you which you can
Easily Cash in your Bank or any Cashing Store around you. my secretary
will mail across to you IMMEDIATELY.and after my check have been
Cleared in your bank then i will arrange for the pick up. The check
will be delivered to you via USPS Postal Mail OR FEDEX Kindly provide
me the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check
to your location.

1. Full name to write on the check
2. Full Physical address to post the check
3. City, State and Zip Code
4. Cell Phone to contact you

*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via USPS
POSTAL SERVICE.OR FEDEX and i will make arrangements for the Pick up
as Soon as you have my Check Cashed ***

Hope to read from you soon..
Thanks

Please do NOT cash or deposit any checks or money orders you have received or may receive from anyone who is contacting you through email. The checks or money orders that the scammer is sending to you are fakes, forgeries, or stolen.

Understand that even if your bank tells you that the check has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days but later, when the check goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check will be returned and you will be held responsible. It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be held financially responsible and required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check to you.

Craigslist is meant for face to face transactions with the buyer with cash in hand.

Advertisement

#135316 by Bubbles Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Krysta.. If you gave them your physical address, you may receive a check. If you do receive a check, do not deposit it into your bank account. It will be a forged check drawn on someone else's bank account. The instructions will be to deposit the check and send some of the money back to the scammer for some reason on another. The problem is that eventually the banking system will discover the forgery and YOU will be responsible for any money you send to the scammer. You could even get a visit from the police because it is illegal to pass off a forged banking document.

Just ignore any emails from the scammer. If you receive a check, mark "FAKE" across it. You can turn it over to the police with the emails you have received. I hope you understand that anything the scammer says is a lie.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#137099 by began steele Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 am
*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via USPS
POSTAL SERVICE.OR FEDEX and i will make arrangements for the Pick up
as Soon as you have my Check Cashed ***

The scammer is not only content with you cashing the fake cheque and sending money, he has a further twist, of course, to screw even more off you. It then goes on to becoming the familar parcel scam. You will receive a message from the scammer pretending to be parcel office, and telling you the item is held up in the parcel office and you will have to pay a release fee, via Western Union etc, to get it delivered. In this way regardless of the amount of money he maximises the potential income from you. Even if by our standards it may be a small amount, if he gets £15 per scam extra he could be doing quite well on a daily basis, compared with normal incomes in Nigeria.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#162708 by cm477 Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:05 pm
This scammer is still active. This is what he/she sent to me today (April 16, 2013):

Do you still have it for sale? Please provide me your email address so that I can contact you regarding it.
contact me throught... [email protected]

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

Italics mine. I like the signature used... nice touch for added authenticity!

Mind you, I am selling some large appliances on Craigslist in the U.S.A., so "fawaz" doesn't just target small items that are easily shipped. I am assuming they use some kind of bot.
#174722 by Adoraluna Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:28 pm
Here is another account of this email [email protected] being used by a scammer....

They are also using texting as another way of scamming someone. I'm hoping to recieve a bogus check soon so I can make sure that these people are rightfully put in their place not to mess with people are legitimately trying to sell things on CL!

Happy Hunting!
#174729 by Bryon Williams Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:17 am
Welcome to Scamwarners Adoraluna,

File a fraud report with the postal inspection service. http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx You can also request an envelope from them and actually send them the check since you received it via US mail.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/