Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#120051 by rlrennin Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 pm
Hello Scamwarners members. I am new to Scamwarners.
I received the following email for some tickets I posted for sale on CL:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

--
Hello,
My Name is Larry,Munsey Am interested in your item, Kindly get
back to me if it's still available for sale.
Thanks

I replied with my hotmail account and asked the buyer to contact me directly at my hotmail address. Here is the email that was sent to me:
hello?
8/17/12
Larry Munsey- [email protected]
Hello Thanks for your respond I am ready to purchase it asap. I anticipate that I'll have a Certified Check issued out to you from my bank. I'm in no rush with you till funds are cleared in your bank which takes only a day. You do not have to bother yourself about the shipping. I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up at your door, when you must have gotten your cash at hand. Kindly e-mail me back with your physical address such as Name, Address (NOT P.O.box) City, State, Zip-code, Phone Number. I will be sending the payment via Overnight FedEx Express Mail Delivery .You can delete the advert asap. Send more picture of it for proper view Larry from Craigslist Thanks
Header address is:
ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:Header Analysis Quick ReportOriginating IP: 209.73.132.186Originating ISP: Afnca City: San JoseCountry of Origin: United States* For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline

I googled Shipping Co agent and saw a link for a message very similar to the 2nd message from buyer. It happened to be a scam that was reported on SCAMWARNERS (thank you Scamwarners :D ). I emailed buyer back and pasted the almost word for word scam from Scamwarners. The only thing I am worried about is follow up emails from this scammer. I have marked both messages on my hotmail account as phishing scams. I have the following questions:
1)Will hotmail block any replys from this scammer in the future?
2)Do I have anything else to be concerned about?
3) Sould I report this scam somewhere else?
Last edited by rlrennin on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#120054 by Justin Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 pm
Hello!

As you suspect it's a common check overpaymemt scam. One thing I'd like to mention it actually does more harm than good reporting the scammers email address. It's better to post the email address here. That way when someone gets suspicious and googles the email address they find the warning here just as you did searching the "shipper". Reporting the email address just makes the scammer get another free email address that will not be posted on ours or other anti-scam sites. Same thing goes for pointing scammers to our site the scammer will simply change the name of the "shipper" and others will not find the warnings posted here. I say all this because if you are selling more items on Craigslist you are bound to run into more scammers.

Just ignore the scammer and they will go away. You can also report here http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Justin

#120057 by vonpaso xlura Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:20 am
Craigslist scammers typically talk about the item, instead of the car or the phone or the whatever it is you're actually selling, and their writing, if they're in West Africa as a lot of scammers are, contains characteristic spelling errors like the one in that sentence.

The address you posted is in Yahoo. If you told Hotmail to block it, the scammer can still use his Yahoo address to email non-Hotmail users. The IP address probably belongs to a computer infected with malware; scammers, spammers, and other Internet abusers use them in botnets for various purposes.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#128805 by szwart Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 pm
WOW! How embarrasing! I too was just scammed by this one. Email I received while trying to sell tickets:

> From: [email protected]
Hi
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I
will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the
moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been
received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can
keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and
address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off
craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from
you soon.
Regards

now I know - just a scam. I did provide my cell number and address (nothing more). Am I at some risk?
Tx for the help! - Steve
#128806 by vonpaso xlura Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 pm
Having given your phone number and address, you'll get a money order in the mail. As in the other thread, it'll be fake. If you want to be sure, take it to who issued it (if it's postal, take it to the post office, not to a bank), and ask if it's fake.

With just your address and phone number, it's unlikely you'll get any retaliation or identity theft. Scammers just want to steal money; if you quit talking to them, they'll eventually give up.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10