Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#121094 by bhume413 Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm
First my girlfriend posted an ad on CL selling her old engagement ring. She had a lady named "florence bola" with the email [email protected] with a profile name MS Webb Charlie. Shes been emailing this lady back and forth and even missed the original ship out date. This lady threatened to report her to FBI and pursue legal action. And she even recieved emails from "paypay" (service@paypay).I googled the address she gave No 4 Imala Road Abeokuta Ogen State 23439 in Nigeria. This googled address led me here to scamwrners. What should she do and is this"legal action" real? i told her its a scam and theres no fraud being commited no monies been transferred and and my girl still has the ring. The new ship out date is Tommorrow. We know the person is real bc she responds back to emails.
Advertisement

#121096 by bhume413 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 pm
i analyzed the headers and this is what iptrackeronline.com gave me....
ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:Header Analysis Quick ReportOriginating IP: 209.85.213.180Originating ISP: Google City: Mountain ViewCountry of Origin: United States* For a complete report on this email header goto ipTRACKERonline
#121100 by Bryon Williams Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners bhume413,

Yes, it is a scam the scammer wants to to steal the item by having your girlfriend mail the ring to Nigeria.

The scammer has not sent any money via paypal or any other service. The scammer will send a fake / realistic payment notice to your email account stating payment was made. Then he wants you to provide a shipping tracking number to him or his fake shipper/fake Paypal address to release your money.

The threats of reporting you to the FBI, Police or any other agency are all fake and scare tactics the scammer will use. Nothing will be reported and you are safe not to send.

Always log in to your Paypal account directly and see if the money is in your account or call paypal using the number via their website.

Just cease communicating with him and block him. Do not inform him that he is posted here. It will hamper others trying to google the scammers email address.

The man typing back to your girlfriend is a real person. His identity is unknown. Scammers use free email addresses, make up names, documents and etc. The only real thing about him is he is a thief.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#121105 by bhume413 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm
Thank you Byron for responding to my post. I told her what you had said already but she wanted an outsiders opinion about the FBI thing. She is gonna stop responding to the emails. Thank You for being so helpful and informative.
#121144 by Dotti Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 pm
Sometimes the scammers will even follow up with a fake letter from the FBI. It's just more scammer lies.

As Byron said, they didn't actually send you any money. They are trying to steal your money. They have no grounds to report you for anything.

But, the truth is, even if they did send you money, and you didn't send the merchandise, the FBI would not be involved. They would file a dispute with paypal.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#133392 by Fidelio Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm
Hey all,

Today I was almost scammed from a purported buyer on Craigslist where I posted a ring for sale today. Within 25 minutes of posting the item for sale I get an email from:

Lace Benson [email protected] via craigslist.org
11:02 AM (4 hours ago)

"do you still have it am a serious buyer please get back to me asap and i
will like to see some/more pictures. My number is (347) 903-9654 you can
text me and please do not call cos i will not pick it..Texts only..
Thanks...."

So I text the phone number and a few back and forth texting goes on. He then says he will pay via paypal and offered to pay $100 OVER what I advertised it for, plus shipping and handling. He says he wants it to ship to his cousin "outta state" as he puts it. I immediately became suspicious and knew I was probably in the midst of a Nigerian scam attempt. I then ask exactly where he wants it shipped and I was right...he gives me the overseas as:

Receiver's Name:
james Peters
Plot 20A Apple junction
city: Festac
State: Lagos, Nigeria 23401

I said OK to see how far he would go with the scam and I seriously thought about counter scamming him. A few minutes pass and I get a text from him telling me to check my email for a notice from paypal. I then check it and find an email that looks like it came from Paypal with some legitimate looking graphics and all, and it says exactly this:

-----------------------------------------------

Service@PayPal [email protected]

Subject line :
PENDING FUND NOTICE

You Have a Payment Pending!

Hello: PayPal User,

This is to Notify you about the Payment made by " Lace Benson " to your PayPal account . The payment has been successfully made but due to security reasons we have to receive the Shipment Tracking Number before your PayPal account will be credited.

This a new measure we are taking in order to protect both Sellers and Buyers against fraudulent activities. Once you are Through, send the Tracking Number information to PayPal Customer Service Department: [email protected] immediately the Tracking Number is CONFIRMED, your account will be credited immediately. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

----------------------------------------------

Haha! I then sent a text back to this ass and told him to F... off!. He had the gnarly balls to text back and says "What do you mean?"

Can you BELIEVE IT!! OMG
These asswipes need to be hunted down!

Very sorry to hear about some of you who have fallen victim to scam artists. I really hope you get justice some day.
Last edited by Fidelio on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
#133424 by Fidelio Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm
vonpaso xlura wrote:It's a scam. PayPal does not do this. Just ignore him.

Thanks vonpaso. This site does justice and every person who is scammed or about to be scammed should post their experience here. Thank god for this website. :shock:
#221295 by Prettylady Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:23 pm
I almost just got scamed today. !!!!! :o
They said it was for her daughter. So they send the email, but in the email it said her name was anita and then she said to mail to her daughter nakel smith. In nigeria. So i was confuse for a sec. So he told me if i got the address in the email i said no so he send me this. * Plot 7 Maza maza, Festec, lago Nigeria +23401. But then i told i got your message but is not the same address so i told him the address that was in the email which it was Plot 2a, apple junction, lago Nigeria +23401. So when i Told him that he send me a different address then the person said oh yeah thats the address which it was the one i send them so i knew something was weird. Cause when i google the address it took me right to this website So im glad it brought me here or else i would of been scamed! I was selling my toshiba laptop for $350 and the person wanted to pay me $450 if i send it express way to that one address.
#221297 by Dotti Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
I'm glad you were able to avoid being scammed.

In reality, the scammer was not going to send you $450, of course. He was going to send you a fake email that claimed payment was made when actually nothing was sent.

In reality he would have sent no money at all, and you would have lost both your laptop and the shipping fees.

Please post any email addresses this criminal used.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#221298 by Bryon Williams Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:29 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Prettylady,

Yes, it is a scam. Please sell your laptop face to face with cash.

Please post the complete email address and phone numbers the scammer used. This will help others avoid being scammed.

If you have further questions please just ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#323933 by iamheretojustwarn Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm
[list=][/list]I had a similar situation as well. I am a 16 year old just trying to sell my iPhone 6s off an app called let go and someone off the username lawman messaged me being intrested and gave the story of its for my friend and will send 500$ via Western union so they told me to text his friend which I did and the friend asked for a picture of the phone to be sure and sent the address so it could be shipped and I was curious about the address to see where it is located because it looked different compared to what I usually see so I Googled it jst to see the location and the address was ;
Name: Bullard Ben
Address: Plot 2A Apple Junction,
City: Festac
State: Lagos
Zip Code: 23401
and after googling it I came across this site and I looked back to the app to only see that the account was deleted and I texted the number screen shot in the site and sending it and told them I will not continue the process and of course they denied it. they texted me off the number 7312143743