Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#127093 by sophia1920 Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 pm
I posted this as a reply but I wanted to make sure it was seen as a separate post for others.

I received an email from this individual from my craigslist posting. Originally, the email was from "Whitney Garrett" and the email address was [email protected]. They sent the exact same message as above. See below.

Whitney Garrett [email protected] via craigslist.org
4:43 PM (58 minutes ago)

to tk7qr-33052242.

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

--
Please i will like to know your best price for this item..thanks

Then I replied saying the price was as listed and received this next:

Whitney Garrett [email protected]
5:02 PM (41 minutes ago)

to me

Good to read back from you,well i think am pretty okay with your asking price,but i will just need some kind of re assurance of the condition because am trying to buy it for someone abroad,also i would like to know the reason why you are selling it.so kindly get back and less i forgot, can you accept paypal as a mode of payment?..thanks and i hope to hear from you soon

Regards!

And finally, after I said that I could send a time/date stamped picture for verification and only PayPal would be accepted:

Whitney Garrett [email protected]
5:16 PM (29 minutes ago)

to me

Great, so kindly get back to me with your paypal email address so that i can proceed the transfer and once you get my payment confirmation email from paypal then you can as well proceed with the shipment too..Also i will only prefer shipment via the usps Ems express mail international 3-5 days service..

After that, I googled the email address and lo and behold, it was too good to be true just as I was thinking. I was asking $1750 and no one is willing to send that sight unseen, and not even a picture!

Thanks so much for this site, you saved me quite a bit of time, frustration and probably money!
:lol:
Advertisement