Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#127314 by KennyC Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 am
This scammer, using the same script, and the same couple of payment mules, but beware he is always on the lookout for more mules. He has been using the following aliases:

Roy Rourke/keith hamilton <[email protected]>, [email protected], Shelly Meeks <[email protected]>, Vince Rodriguez <[email protected]>, Gabrielle Carroll <[email protected]>, Desmond Jones, Mark Williams, Nicole Lassmann/stephen danforth <[email protected]>, Debra Boutwell <[email protected]>, Melanie Salman <[email protected]>, Douglas Fredrick <[email protected]>, Shannon Maxwell <[email protected]>, "Tyler Smith" <[email protected]>, Stephan Fitch <[email protected]>, Grey Ruben <[email protected]>
- (And possibly several others, more will be added as reports come in.) -

His opening mail comes through the normal channels, and appears to be from a genuine buyer:

Hello
Good day l will like to buy this
item would love more pics of it
Thanks.

And once or twice, the following wording has been observed:

Hello Friend,
Am interested in this post, get back at me.
Thanks.

Now follows his first proper script - give him your address and he'll send a check, including an overpayment:

Note: Don't whatever you do try and pay the check into your bank account, it may appear to clear at first, but it will certainly be found to be fraudulent and the bank will hold you liable, perhaps even involving the police.
- If you have already payed one in, make an appointment to talk to someone senior at your local branch immediately, and tell them you suspect it may be fake, and what happened. It is important that you establish your willingness to cooperate with the authorities as soon as possible.

Thanks for the response.I'm okay with the price and I will like to
know much about its present condition.I will have to issue out a
check in your name due to the distance between us..I do buy things on
Craigslist with cash but i pay with checks if its a long distance
transaction because the last time i tried mailing out cash via US
express mail it never got to the destination but i can assure you that
there won't be any problem of any kind because i don't mind waiting
for your bank to check-out the authenticity of check. . I don't mind
adding an extra $40 just for you to keep it in my favor you will
receive payment within the next 3 business days Reply with your
full name and address where payment should be sent, and a phone number
where i can reach you. Please take the posting off Craigslist today
and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards

The check is in the post, and he wants you to send the extra by Western Union.

Good day friend,

How you doing today? l want to apologize for just writing you. l have been busy with urgent business needed to take care off and family issues due to my wife's ill health, Giving you some heads up on the payment, here is the tracking number via usps (420 79932 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xx) confirm once you receive the payment .

Presently the status on usps shows the payment will be delivered Today or tomorrow, you are to take it to your bank, deposit it and withdraw the balance.

Below is where you will have balance sent via a westernunion wire transfer to this details below:

Name: Manuel Contreras
City: Redwood City
CA, 94063
USA,

After sending you will email me the 10 digit MTCN number and make sure you have it sent money in minutes. After you complete the wire transfer the pick up will be schedule immediately.

Below is a Westernunion outlet location close to you where you will complete the wire there.

Helpfully he provides the addresses of a couple of local WU outlets for you to use.

An alternative mule that's also been provided:

Receiver name: Sally Lucas
City: hammond
State: Indiana
Zipcode: 46320

Name: Manuel Contreras
City: Redwood City
CA, 94063
USA,

Note, the above two named individuals are acting as payment mules for the scammer, they are in no way involved in collecting these payments as part of a legitimate business.
Last edited by KennyC on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Advertisement

#127493 by northerndynasty Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 pm
Absolutely, positively correct! Your posting was extremely helpful, although, based on the grammar in shahid's conversation with me, you would have to be suspicious in the first place.

Thank you for posting your experience and information. Your explicit, specific and thorough information was easily sufficient enough for me to cease communications altogether.
#127516 by vaho001 Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm
OMG, what an awesome detailed post. I posted something for sale on Craigslist and received a response from, "Douglas Fredrick," about 20 minutes after I posted my ad. He did everything you described in this post. I typed in his gmail on the web, and this site popped up with your post. This site and that post is an awesome resource!!! Thank you!!!!
#127811 by KennyC Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm
Thanks for the comments.

The scammer's second script as posted above, some variations have turned up now - all leading back to the same scammer:

Am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you,I have a family issue i was called that my wife was rush to an hospital and after several text perform on her, they discover that she has a breast cancer and they have to perform a surgical operation this has taken my time and money meanwhile, I would like to inform you that i have instructed my assistance to mail out the payment for the item which she did but there is something I think I must bring to your notice,I discovered that my assistant must have overpaid you.The payment meant for another transaction was sent to you and the one meant for you was sent to another but this was issue on your name so you have nothing to worry about. However, I want to believe I will not have problem with you on this and for us to complete this transaction in timely manner,the amount on the check is $2xxx , Please when payment is received in the mail, I would like you to take it to your bank deposit it and withdraw the balance, then deduct your money as we agreed on and get back to me so that i can arrange the pickup with my mover
Get back at me immediately.
Please Advice.

and:

Am for writing this late,I want to first apologise for the delay in this transaction of ours as i earlier told you payment was sent, of a truth it was sent out but the mail man who was to drop off the mail delayed as he said he was sick not until today i found out the mail was dropped recently and you should be getting the same check early next week, like i said earlier the check was made in excess and it was in the amount of $2xxx, so after you have receive the payment you will take yours out of it and i will instruct you of how to send the balance to my Doctor who is treating my wife.
I am very much interested in this deal so sorry for the time waisted and delay in completing this transaction as i hope you still have it kept for me and secured.
Pls Email me back so as to know we still have a deal.

Pls Advice

These are ploys by the scammer to tug on the heart-strings of his potential victim by insisting the payment is for his sick wife's medical-treatment - don't believe it for one second.

#141413 by KennyC Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:44 pm
Update: This scammer is back using the following email adresses:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

We have had reports of him targeting Craigslist sellers at the following locations:

Sacramento, Orlando, Orangecounty, inland empire, Tampa, SFbay, Fresno, Detroit, Santabarbara, Richmond, Miami, Norfolk, Austin, Washingtondc, Glenfalls, Fredricksburg, Sandiego, Madison, Orlando, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Greenbay, Wausau, Duluth, Indianapolis, Albany, Buffalo, Bloomington, NewYork,

He's again using the formula:

Hello,
Am interested in your post, get back to me soon.
Thanks

More email addresses/locations and scripts will be added as reports come in.
See posts above for further details.

#141445 by KennyC Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:53 am
His first script-proper has arrived, and follows the same pattern as when he was actively scamming in October 2012. (See above posts for details.)

Good to hear from you,I'm okay with the price and I will like to
know much about its present condition.I will have to issue out a
check in your name due to the distance between us..I do buy things on
Craigslist with cash but i pay with checks if its a long distance
transaction because the last time i tried mailing out cash via US
express mail it never got to the destination but i can assure you that
there won't be any problem of any kind because i don't mind waiting
for your bank to check-out the authenticity of check. . I don't mind
adding an extra $50 just for you to keep it in my favor you will
receive payment within the next 3 business days Reply with your
full name and address where payment should be sent, and a phone number
where i can reach you. Please take the posting off Craigslist today
and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards

As before, note the offer of overpayment - this guy is eager to win your confidence.

#142225 by DallasHorsewoman Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:49 pm
I'm selling a table on Craigslit and this guy just emailed me. He's obviously a scammer.

mark james <[email protected]>
8:20 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Hello,
I really appreciate your response to my email.i am very sorry for notgetting back to you in time,my computer crash,I just fix it up, and Iwant you to consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from Craig to avoiddisturbance.and I want you to know that i will be paying viabank certified check,How much is total price of the item?I will likeyou to provide me with the following. information to facilitate themailing of the check to you.

1.....Full name to write on the check
2.....Full Physical address to post the check(Not p.o box)
3.....City, State and Zip Code
4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you
5.....Total amount for the item:

*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address

via USPS NEXT
DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as youhave cashed the check and verify it from your bank** Thanks Please get back to me asap. Also i will like you to remove the items
form the
sales board Thanks
#142330 by KennyC Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am
Hello and welcome DallasHorsewoman,

thanks for posting this Craiglist scammer, he seems to have been doing this since at least 2009, vis-a-vis:
http://www.austinbassfishing.com/forum/miscellaneous-info/16628-scam.html
but this is the first time he's been posted about here. Good call there.

What would happen there would almost certainly be that the check you'd receive would be for more than the amount of the item, at first it will appear to clear into your account, and you would be expected to pay the "mover" cash - an over-payment scam. Shortly thereafter the check will bounce and the bank will hold you liable, the scammer and his mover will then have your money (and property), leaving you to explain it all to the bank and law enforcement.

Our original scammer above has started using another installment of his script:

> Am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you,I have a family issue i was called that my wife was rushed to a hospital and after several text perform on her, they discover that she has a breast cancer and they have to perform a surgical operation I forwarded your information to my assistant immediately i got it and the payment had been sent out with the information you provided.
>
> There is something i think i must bring to your notice quickly.After a reconciliation of My Account, i discovered that somehow my assistant must have overpaid you. The money that was meant for my wife medical treatment at the Hospital was sent to you However, I want to believe I will not have a problem with you and i can trust you when payment is received in the mail, I would like you to take it to your bank and cashed it then deduct your money as we agreed on and get back to me so that i can make arrangement with my mover for the pickup and the rest fund overpaid.
>
> Thanks for your mutual understanding and cooperation
>
> Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Advance
>
> Best Regards

A clear example of an over-payment scam again.

Note: the scammer and accomplices play all parts in this fictitious scenario; they are the "mover", the buyer, the assistant and the wife; It is constructed for the sole purpose of obtaining money and goods by deception.

#172510 by KennyC Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 pm
[email protected] is still busy on classifieds sites, he's using the names 'n' number:
Nicole Lassmann, and Stephen Danforth
Phone: 14703150408, 1 (407) 31500408 - or in what format your phone/device shows.

As above he will expect you to cash his fake check then pay out money to his courier.
This has the effect of earning the scammer and the "courier" - probably one and the same person - a fair bit of money without having to work for it.

The effect the victim will have to deal with can be quite devastating. The bank will hold you liable for the money lost, and may be obliged to report you to the law enforcement, where you may be charged with conspiracy to defraud.

If you've cashed the check then the most important thing for you to do is to visit your nearest bank branch office, ask to speak in private to someone senior or your personal banker - whoever is appropriate. Take any evidence with you such as printouts of the mails and explain what happened - the important thing is to establish your cooperation with the bank, they should advise you what to do next.

#175108 by KennyC Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:27 am
Update:

This scammer is now using the number 713-900-6486; (+1713) 900648 or however your network displays it.
The type and owner of this number is not yet known, but it seems to originate in Houston Texas.
However, a name and address given is: "anthony dunlap jr , los angeles ca 9011" (sic.)

This scammer may be calling him/herself Desmond Jones, Mark Williams, previous names used: Nicole Lassmann, Stephen Danforth.

The scam may be associated with the email [email protected] and the previousley used number: +14703150408. For other names see top of this page.

#177773 by Jacadette Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 am
Hello!
I've never dealt with something like this! However, I was replying to a secretary job online for a assistant at a job in Brooklyn, NYC. Long story short. A "Dr. Rizhan Khan" contacted me handing me the job. Which I also found was weird because there was no interview process or even a phone call. However, before realizing all of this I has already sent my contact info which just included my name,address, and telephone number. So I googled the email address [email protected] and your blog came up. Continuing on before I could get in contact with the doctor asking to refuse the job offer, who used another email address [email protected] a envelope with a check came in with a wierd sending address. I asked the person to email me, and it was someone that sounded as if either he was trying to put on a fake accent or had a African accent from a Texas number. Anyway, I will not be cashing the check and will be bringing it to the police. Thank God for my better senses and this post.
#177974 by rmesmer Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:18 pm
New to Craigslist. Was so excited to receive a response to buy. One wanted my phone number, address and email address. He goes by Rick Smith
Hello,

Thanks for the response, My name is Rick Smith. I am buying this as a surprise to someone very dear to me and I want to keep it that way(AS A SURPRISE) after delivery day. I work with Turner Construction,we are currently working at a very rural area which makes it very hard for me to make phone calls due to bad network reception here but you can always text me on (501)438-9373 . I will not be able to view it but I have a Mover who will come for the pickup so please get back to me with more pics and also I will be making the payment via PayPal as that is the only payment option I can access from here I hope you understand.I have some questions for you;

Are you the first owner of it?
Where do you live?
What is your final asking price?
Does it have anything negative i should know about?

Hope to read back from you soon.....
Regards Smith

Turner Construction Co
DirectionsWrite a review
E-mail Address: [email protected]

Address: 50 Lakefront Blvd, Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (501) 438-9373
Transit: Buffalo Exchange Street Station
The other is Victoria Davies;
Good to hear back from you. I'm okay with the price and the condition.
Presently, I am always busy at work and do not
have much time around me to make or answer calls. Moreover, I would have loved
to call but our satellite server has been down in recent days which
restricts our calls. I will be paying you through PayPal as it is the
only Medium at which i can send Payment at the Moment.
I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too
since i won't be be able to see this in person. And if you don't have a
PayPal account, It's pretty easy to set up a PayPal account at
www.paypal.com . it's just a few minutes away from signing up. it's
safe and secure for both Parties and i have been using PayPal to buy
and sell for years now without problems. Please get back to me with
your PayPal email so i
can proceed with the payment and contact the Pick up Agent who will
come for the Pick up of the item.
I will need these following details so i can proceed with the payment right away

1:Your PayPal e-Mail Address
2: Home Address

As soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email, I'll proceed
with full Payment. I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Victoria

I got suspicious. So disappointed not real. How can they use a Paypal email address. I called PayPal and they said there is no way they could get any info from just the PayPal invoice I sent her for payment. Any advice? Will now demand cash for sure!