Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#128210 by Ryan Hains Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 pm
Breyona Greenlee
Breyona Greenlee - [email protected]

Also goes by Michael Dan

If you are selling a large item, the scammer does not want your 'item'. The scammer will indicate interest in buying the item but want to send a FAKE check for more than the asking price for the item, requesting the seller to cash or deposit the check and send the overage to a third party, often a supposed shipping company. The "shipping company" or other third party is either the same scammer or his accomplice.
This scammer does not want your 'item'

Thanks for the response. I am willing to pay your asking price. I will
pay by Check as its the only way i can pay you at the moment. I will
make arrangement for the pickup after payment have been received and
cash by you. I don't mind adding an extra $30 so you can keep it in my
favor. I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently
away for church convention. If you're comfortable with my method of
payment, reply with your full name, phone # and mailing address where
payment will be sent please ( No P.O Box Addresses ). I will
appreciate it if you take the posting off CL today and consider it
sold to me. As for the pick-up, it would be handled after you receive
your payment.

Expecting to hear from you soon.
Warm Regards.

Please do NOT cash or deposit any checks or money orders you have received or may receive from anyone who is contacting you through email. The checks or money orders that the scammer is sending to you are fakes, forgeries, or stolen.

Understand that even if your bank tells you that the check has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days but later, when the check goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check will be returned and you will be held responsible. It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be held financially responsible and required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check to you.

Craigslist is meant for face to face transactions with the buyer with cash in hand.

Advertisement