Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#128462 by nottsbloke71 Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 am
Hi all, first time ever posting on any board, so apologies in advance!

I've got my car in Auto trader - and have received an email from someone asking if the car is still for sale, and could I reply to a gmex.com email. So I replied that the car was still for sale, this morning I’ve received the following email:

Hello,

How are u doing today and how was ur day ?

Thanks soo much for ur urgent replay .

Thanks for the info you gave me and the pictures on ad and all the details on the site as well its really my taste and i can wait to fanalise things with u.Also i will want you to send some pics of it if available.Its really my chioce even i cant wait to see it.Really is what i have been seraching for for the last 6 months.But right now is new year and i can see that i finanaly got one.Also i will really be happy if u can let me really know ur last price ?

Pls i will like to know much about the question about the car as follows ?

(1) What is the condition of the generall body ?

(2) How many miles as the car done ?

(3) What is the condition of the 4 Tyres ?

(4) What is the present condition of the ball joint ?

(5) What is the present condition of the Shock Absover ?

(6) What is the present condition of the Engine ?

(7) How often did u change the Oil engine ?

(8) Did u have all recipt of what u have done on the car ?

(9) Can u let me know ur last offer u are willing to accept ?

(10) What is the present condition of the Radiator ?

Pls as for the shipping i will handle that myself i shall contact my shipping agent to handle it.As for the payment am paying with a Certified Bank Draft check which i belive is the best way and its really conviniet for me and if u are ok with that get back to me today so that we could conclude on the payment.

I'm from Norway,I live by the sea side in The Republic of Norway. I will not want you to respond to anybody again bcos am assuring you that i will buy it from you. I am buying it for my private use .I always travel to europe every 4 Months and travel back to my place of Work in Norway.

I am really glad that you want me to get them and i will be happy also when i get it really i am really eager to see it .

Thank wait to your email today .

Regard...

Every bone in my body tells me it’s a scam and even more so after having looked around this site - but please, if anyone can confirm this I’d be really grateful! - Again please accept my apologies if I’ve made mistakes within this posting!

Thanks all!
Advertisement

#128467 by Dotti Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am
Your instinct is absolutely correct. It is a total scam.

He plans to send you a fraudulent certified check. The check will be for the cost of the car plus the "shipper" costs. You will be instructed to cash the check, and forward (usually by WU or moneygram) the "shipper" fee to the (fake) "shipping agent."

The check will likely be a good enough fake that the bank initially accepts it, and gives you the cash. Days to weeks later, after you have sent the money to the "shipping agent," the bank will realize it is a fraud, and they will come after you for the money as you are the one who deposited or cashed it--and as an added bonus, they may contact the authorities and press charges for fraud.

In the meantime, the scammer (who has used all fake information with you) has disappeared with the cash. Nobody ever comes for the car, because the scammer wasn't actually after it--he just wanted you to turn his fraudulent checks into cash.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.