Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#130382 by Sholliman Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 pm
Hey guys. I've been an avid craigslist user for a while, so I can usually spot scams. This one has got me a little worried though. Popped up a red flag. I've been in contact with this person for a few hours now. It's been via text, not email.

This is how the conversation follows. (For my 85 trans am. I want $1500)

Does the engine work perfectly and can it be pick up? 1985 Pontiac Trans Am - $1500

-Me
Engine runs 100% Pick up by person only

This is where my red flag popped up.
Okay i am ok with the bike price and also i will like to know if you have a paypal account because i will be paying through paypal and also i want you to know that have a shipping company that will come over to you and pick up the bike from you once i have made the payment. so i want to know if you have a paypal account.

He then procced to ask me if I have a paypal account.

If you dont have a paypal account just log on to http://www.paypal.com and set up your paypal account, after setting up your account you locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my paypal account which is [email protected] once I receive your request from paypal I willl submit payment to you immediately via

Phone number I'm recieving texts from is 409-310-5714

I had someone do something similar to this, but they actually ended up coming to my house and giving me cash in had. Not too sure about this one. He never asked me for my email/address and such.
Advertisement

#130390 by Dotti Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 pm
It's a scam.

He will send a fake paypal email that says he paid for the item, plus extra for shipping--probably several hundred dollars.

The fake paypal email will say that the money is on hold until you send payment to the "shipper" (usually by Western Union, which makes absolutely no sense, considering the fact that WU is a competing business.)

Of course he hasn't sent any money--all he is trying to do is convince you to WU your money to a perfect stranger. He doesn't even want the item, just the cash. If you sent the money you'd soon find you hadn't received anything.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.