Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#149305 by Jillian Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners, phantomht. Sorry to hear about your father, but glad to hear that the information here was helpful to you.
Yes, you're likely to run into scammers if you're using craigslist. Please keep Google searching everything suspicious. Keep in mind that scammers change names and email addresses often, so sometimes the info isn't listed on anti scam sites yet. Always trust your instincts when something doesn't seem right. We're happy to help with anything you have questions about.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement

#149404 by psweany Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am
Received this today from the same scammer using these email addresses:
Pauletta Jones <[email protected]>
Pauletta Jones <[email protected]>

----
Hello,

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it as a surprise for our new home my family are moving into,i work in an Oil Rig and i will want to know the present condition of it and also i will want you to understand as well that am not chanced to call due to the on going work at the location where i am.So please kindly answer the questions below if you are a willing to sell to me.Also i want you to understand that i have an hauler who will be coming for the pickup,I insist on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment or send me an invoice.AM willing to pay the full asking price.

1:Are you the first owner of it?
2:Why are you selling it?
3.Does it has any fault affecting it?
4.Can you send me general close up pictures as i will be unble to come look at it in person and so that i can have a better look?

Hope to read back from you soon.....
----
#150826 by willie09 Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm
Well big surprise about Victoria Bradsley! I too recceived the exact same email down to each and every word. This is the second time I have received a scam offer. The first time I bit but caught on in time. It is very obvious when reading the emails they are bogus due to idiotic grammar. Should I respond and tell her I am on to her or just ignore? Ignoring brings on all those threatening emails about legal action (crap). An hour later after original post....I responded...."you are all over the internet as a scammer....DO NOT contact me again". Makes me feel better to squash them.
Last edited by willie09 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#150828 by Bryon Williams Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners willie09,

I am glad that you recognized it was a scam.

It is just best to ignore any further emails or just block the scammer from your email account.
As you noted he will send threats of Law Enforcement (FBI) or most recently an Attorney. All these are threat to steal your property or money.

Please post any additional email addresses you may have.

Also, please do not educate the scammer. We like it when his grammar sends red flags. :)

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#151227 by smartcraigslister Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am
Sounds like Victoria Bradsley, The Scammer has been busy! I posted an ad over the weekend and received the same "Get back to me, I'm interested response". I responded asking if they'd like to come check out the item considering I was asking $950. And I got the same "Good to hear from you" email response as everyone else - word for word. Here's what made me suspicious off the bat:

1. They mentioned being too busy at work to come see an item costing nearly $1000. Crazy.
2. They mentioned they couldn't call because of satellite server being down, however they found a miraculous way to email me.
3. The push for Paypal payment. I never once said I'd accept Paypal and was put off by someone telling me how they'd pay and then send "an agent" to pick up the item. What do I look like, boo-boo the fool? I don't think so.

SO, for fun, I replied back saying that I'd be happy to deliver locally for free and cash on delivery. Of course, I have not received a response.

Thank God I dodged a bullet with this scammer. Trust your instincts folks!
#151338 by bosshoggin Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm
i posted for sale add on Craigslist and was ALMOST scammed. Typical way of sending emails, saying they were out of town and they were buying it for a "friend" and i needed to ship it to Nigeria. Also said the only way to receive payment was for me to set up a Paypal account. Here is all the info on this particular scammer:

Name: Mario Luiz
Email: [email protected]

All of the info on the address he wanted me to send it to:

Name: Bola Davis
Address: 27, unity street, Off Gov Road
City: Ikotun-Egbe,
State: Lagos
Zip code: 23401
Tel: 2347037001830

here is some of the emails he sent me instructing me on what i needed to do, also, i couldn't understand why he was willing to pay an extra $100 for the item i was selling:

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 2:36 AM CST Mario Luiz wrote:

>Hi,
>Thanks for the reply i am willing to offer $280 if you can assure me, if it is in good working condition send me a PayPal payment invoice of $280 to my email [email protected] once i get the invoice i'll transfer the money ASAP.
>
>Thanks
>Luiz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish i can come and pay you in cash so i can see the present condition of the item, but am currently on a primary assignment out of town.That was why i preferred PayPal only for security reasons, you can just setup a PayPal account via their website www.paypal.com and get back to me with the Payment invoice through your account once you setup the PayPal account.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for being sincere, the item is for my colleague as a gift but she's currently on vacation so i want you to help me post it to her, that is why i have added $100 plus the actual amount for the postage, I wish i can come and pay you in cash so i can see the present condition of the item, but am currently on a primary assignment out of town. That was why i preferred PayPal only for security reasons, to ship through Usps Registered Mail International will not cost you more than $50-60, get back to me asap.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I just transferred the money through PayPal and i got a confirmation in my email and i have been billed please let me know if you also got the payment and make sure you help me ship it out today through Usps Registered Mail International (Local Post Office), Please don't add value of goods when shipping, and when you do get back to me with the shipping details.

Name...........................Bola Davis
Address....................... 27, unity street, Off Gov Road
City...........................Ikotun-Egbe,
State......................... Lagos
Zip code.......................23401
Country........................Nigeria
Tel............................2347037001830
alright, as soon as you have it shipped, send the tracking or custom number to Paypal so that they can verify and credit your account, once you get through get back to me asap
That's the emails... i actually set up a paypal account, sent him an invoice, and it notified me that he paid for it and that all i needed to do was follow a link and type in the tracking number of the package once i had it shipped. The guy at the store i was shipping it from warned me about scammers from Nigeria and informed me that he himself had been scammed in the same sort of way. He said that once they receive the tracking number from you, they cancel their payment never to be seen again.

The real life saver in this situation was my wife, i told her the story and she said i should do some looking around because it being in Nigeria, was definitely a scam. She showed me this page: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 130AAs6gcH and i immediately closed my paypal account and changed my password for my email. I'm hoping they didn't get any info that was linked in paypal in the 2 or 3 hrs in between me setting up the paypal account and shutting it down
#151348 by bosshoggin Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 am
Also, when i received emails from PayPal it showed one thing, then when i received emails from the scammers claiming to be PayPal, it showed the sender as being "[email protected]" and the emails looked legit at first glance.... i have included links to screenshots of the first email i received from "[email protected]". Sorry i couldn't figure out how to show the images here rather than posting a link:

1st half of email
http://s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=1

2nd half of email
http://s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0

i have 2 more emails that were sent after this from "[email protected]".

2nd email
http://s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=1

3rd email
http://s1151.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... sort=3&o=0

They all seem to make points about being "safe and secure" and "fraud free". Doesn't it seem strange that PayPal would want you to send the tracking number of the package to "[email protected]" ???
#151440 by Bryon Williams Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:57 am
Welcome to Scamwarners bosshoggin,

I am glad that you were not scammed and an alert clerk intervened. The scams are believable and anyone can fall for them. Craigslist sales should be done in person preferably in a public place with cash. Always log into your Paypal account directly without clicking any links to verify funds received. In doubt call PayPal with the code they will give you.

I will help post your photo's.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Paypal does not use @rocketmail.com or anyother free email account.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#151747 by kaswani Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:18 pm
I was contacted by two people with the same scam. The name of one of them is gloria eggleston. the other one was using craigslist address so no name. both wanted me to ship to nigeria as they were out of town and could not pick up the product and wanted to deal with paypal. I am glad i suspected that it was fishy. because shortly after one contacted me the other one contacted too and both were offering me to ship at higher price than i had quoted in craigslist.
#151931 by rambofam1 Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm
Text received by my son after listing car on Craigslist:

Thanks am ok with the condition of the item, am purchasing this for my In-Law. I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, I'm busy at work and do not have much time around me. So please do get back to me with your PayPal verified email address and also your full name as well, so that I can make an arrangement for the payment ASAP and also my pick-up agent can come for the pick-up schedule at your location once the payment as been done through
#155410 by bbbass Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm
I received this email yesterday regarding an electric bike motor I have for sale on Craigslist. I noticed the lack of specific info right away.

Lukáš ?epec <[email protected]>
Mar 9 (1 day ago)
to dj9k9-35758277.

hope your item is still for sale?

Unfortunately, I gave him my cell phone #. He immediately called me and I really couldn't understand his thick accent. He said he was in Georgia. Now I'm wondering... Georgia Russia? He wanted my Paypal account and my address. So then I sent him a fake address and got this:

Lukáš ?epec
10:14 AM (22 hours ago)
to dj9k9-35758277.

okay i forwarded your address and they charge me 200 i need your email for the verification

Not knowing much about scams, I emailed that I would send a Paypal invoice. My email was quiet for a day, then:

Lukáš ?epec
6:44 AM (3 hours ago)
to dj9k9-35758277.

okay this my email [email protected]

I can't find anything on this person on Google. However, after reading as much as I could find about internet scams and Craigslist Paypal scams in particular, it seems prudent to only do business in person and in cash.

Thanx for this website!!!!
#155413 by Dotti Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm
More likely Georgia, Nigeria--this particular format tends to be favored by African scammers.

Your suspicions are correct. You would receive a fake paypal email in response to your invoice.

Cutting off contact is the best approach in this situation.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#160394 by Macnificent Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 am
I posted a car on craigslist for sale. I got a text from 571-969-5788 which is a google voice number. The person said after asking if it was still avaliable and I said yes, "Thanks for the text, it was just exactly what I want and can assure me that I will not be disappointed buying this from you? I am really interested in purchasing your item. ( this was my first red flag because why did he say item and not car?) I am a merchant marine and am offshore right now. I want you to answer this question about the item; 1. are there any other issues with the item not mentioned on Craigslist?" Then came..."I will be glad if you will tell other interested buyers that the item has ben sold. I am offering the exact amount." "I will appreciate ifyou text me with more pictures too since I won't be able to see this in person. Whats the Paypal email to send funds to? in order for me to pay you as soon as possible."
I asked if that was the only way he could pay because I didnt have a Payapal account, and asked how he intended to pick it up?
He said "My hauler will come for the pickup immediately payment had deen sorted via Paypal and that will be at your convienience.
I said, "I dont have a way to accept Paypal so you will have to find a different way. Can you not send the money with the hauler?"
He: "I just contacted the agent that will assist me and handle the pickup and the necessary paper works, I cannot come for the pickup due to the nature of my work, but the agentwill asssist me and handle the pickup when all the payment has been made. The requested amount wil be sent to you via my VERIFIED Paypal account. I will need the address where the agent will meet you for the inspection and for the pickup, also I will be responisble for all the Paypal fees."
I responded, "hey, I am not going to accept Paypal. There is too much potential for loss on my end. So can you send the money through your agent or by western union? Sorry if this is an inconvience to you but I have had a bad experience with Paypal and I wont go through that again. I will eat the cost of the western union."
So now I haven't heard anything back. Real questions are:
Who buys a car without looking at it first? Especially for $4,500.00.

Can someone put thru a real payment and then reverse it after lets say recieving the title to the car? And if so would I be liable to repay paypal for the money even though my car would be gone? I'm not real experienced with using paypal. I always say a even swap aint no swindle! Can someone please school me as to the reversal process of payments? Thanks
#160398 by Dotti Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm
Payments can be reversed in paypal, but that's not the issue here anyway. The scammer is not after your car.

The vast majority of these scammers don't actually do anything with Paypal. They simply send fake emails, supposedly from Paypal, claiming that you were paid for the item, PLUS "shipping." The bogus email will say that the money is on hold until you forward the extra money to the shipper, who conveniently only takes Western Union or Moneygram.

If you were to send money to the "shipper," you would soon find that the money never appeared in your account. You would be out the cash you sent, and nobody would ever show up for the car, because the cash is what the scammer was after.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#160757 by mw4tkn Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:01 pm
I am currently being targeted with this scam. I am onto him Slim Walker - [email protected]

I regret I have sent him my address before I was onto it.

I am currently expecting email number 3 from him telling me he sent the funds and then the fun can begin :)

We are selling a mattress, I should tell him I have gential warts and my dog had her period on it but its ok, we washed it.