Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#261525 by Bryon Williams Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:44 pm
Thank you for the update. Most of these scammers are located in W. Africa. They are using fake names and free email addresses. Once you know it is a scam do not inform the scammer. Keep your messages with in Craigslist messaging system. In your ad do not put a text number or email address. Set up an email address just for Craigslist. Use your personal email address for friends and family.

The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. Depending on what you were selling he would either try to steal your money or property. If it was a vehicle or large item, he would pretend to make an overpayment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#323439 by nsvenuti Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:41 pm
I received the same email, from Rick Futoran (but noticed last name was misspelled in email address; [email protected]):

My name is Rick, I want to buy this as a surprise but I can only pay through PayPal if that is acceptable. Send me some closeup pics because I won't be able to see it myself due to nature of my job( Submarine Engineer ). Pickup will be after your account is credited and I have a hauler who will come for the pickup at your preferred location once payment is confirmed. I have few questions

1. What is your last price ?
2. Any negative things I should know ?
3. Where do you live ?

Email back to know if my offer is accepted so that we can proceed, I hope to hear from you soon
Regards

It seemed odd he was so anxious to pay. His next email was more of the same:

Thanks for the details and time, i want you get back to me with your paypal email address for me to make the payment and also the pickup address to forward to the hauler who will be coming for the pickup once the payment is made and cleared.I need your number for me to text you when through with the payment

Thanks i will be waiting for your response.....

The poor grammar and misspelling raised some red flags, so I googled his name and found this. Thanks for posting!!
#338424 by charlottedowner01 Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am
Thanks so much for posting this!! I got one of these also. They go so far as to say that they are going to have a hauler come out to pick up what they are buying but you need to help them pay the hauler agent through a Money Gram. They will tell you that they submitted an extra fee for the Money Gram into your Paypal account for the hauling service and agent, and even provide a name and address. Here's the entire message:

"I have made the payment so i expect that you should have receive email from PayPal with the notification and confirmation, if you do not get any email from PayPal in your inbox please check your spam or junk folder. I want you to know that i added an extra fee of $880 to the total payment which i need you to help send to the agent coming for pick up and it needs to be sent via Money Gram as that's the only way the hauler receive payment. I am sorry i should have informed you before but I got the urgent message from the pick up agent that they will need the funds before they can come to pick up. I have been in contact with PayPal about the situation of our deal and i was told accurate security will be put on this transaction and that you are required to follow some instructions before the funds will be made available to you. You should have been notified with the steps, I also added $100 the Money Gram Transfer charges. Please help to send the pickup agent fee to my pickup agent and get back to me if there's anything you need to know more. Below is the pickup agent information.

Name: Melanie Read
City: Elyria
State: Ohio
Zip code: 44035
County: United States

Looking forward to hear back from you soon."

Here are some other responses I received: (They are very pushy)

-"I want you get back to me with your paypal email address for me to make the payment and also the pickup address to forward to the hauler who will be coming for the pickup once the payment is made and cleared. What is the best time for pickup?"

-"What is the total price and phone number?"

Anyway, I hope this info helps anyone out there who might be scammed!!!