Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#133722 by mamawof7 Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 am
I have never sold anything on Craigslist, but recently decided to list my dining set for sale. I have received two responses and both of them struck me at suspicious. The wording of the english was off, neither buyer was able to come personally and view the dining set; would send agent or mover to pick it up, neither was available by phone, both were willing to pay my asking price with no negotation, both wanted to use PayPal, both wanted to purchase ASAP, both asked questions already covered by my ad. I did some research on-line at Craigslist, another site, and ended up at your site. I have concluded that both "buyers" are scammers. Because my email is Outlook express it appears it is quite a process to provide you with the header, and I am not real computer savy. My question is: What exactly is their intention. Are they after my financial information by having me set up a PayPal account at a bogus PayPal website. I do not have a PayPal account and do not know anything about it. Or are they attempting to fake a payment, have their so called agent/mover pick up my dining set, and then I'm out a dining set with no payment? Or possibly both? Because I figured out they were scammers, I deleted a couple of their emails so I don't have all of them. I went into my Recycle Bin and restored the "deleted file" thinking it was the contents from the deleted file in my Outlook. If it was I don't know where it restored it to, because it's not in my Outlook. Like I said, I'm not real computer savy, just enough to be dangerous.
Advertisement

#133725 by began steele Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 am
What they will do is send a fake payment and too much money. You will get a battery of emails and distractions from the scammer pretending to be someone else. You will have to pay the fake carrier/agent out of it, probably by Western Union. When you eventually realise you will have parted with your real money in exchange for Fake/no money. It will all have been done by means of giving you a view of urgency before you get time to think about it properly, hence ASAP.
It will be in the deleted files in Outlook.The headers don't matter so much as we confirm the scam anyway and you tell us the correct scene. Email addresses are good enough.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.