Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#135163 by cat0803 Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:23 am
I am currently selling my car on autotrader uk and motors - since it went live I have had several scam emails and luckily have the savvy not to fall for them as I always google the addresses etc first and see if anything comes up - there is a couple that didn't bring anything back on google so I thought it may be handy to start a spoof email list of people that send enquiries that so other people don't get conned - its all to very tempting to hand out your details when you receive a good offer but as well all know if it sounds too good to be true it usually is . So here's some I had earlier :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer Details:
NAME: MRS Kim Bruce
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]

Vehicle Details:
MAKE:
MODEL:
PRICE: £

Got your listing on autotrader and i would like to kno the present condition of it and your final sales price.kindly reply me via email on:[email protected]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Details:
NAME: MR jenny brad
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:
MAKE:
MODEL:
PRICE: £

I SAW THE ADVERT OF YOUR CAR ON AUTOTRADER. WHICH IS FOR SALE . I AM OKAY WITH THE CONDITIONS OF THE CAR AND I AM READY TO BUY FROM YOU. I AM BASED IN DUBLIN IRELAND ,BUT AT THE MOMENT AM ENGAGED IN ALOT OF THINGS TO COME FOR THE VIEWING OF THE CAR. AM OKAY WITH YOUR PRICE AND AM READY TO GIVE YOU EXTRA'S

OF £100 EXTRA FOR SECURING OF THE CAR SO IT WOULD NOT BE SOLD TO ANOTHER BUYER,AND FOR YOU TO KNOW HOW COMMITED I AM IN BUYING FROM YOU. I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT I CAN'T COME FOR THE VIEWING OF THE CAR AS EARLIER STATED CAUSE I'M VERY BUSY AT WORK RIGHT NOW, BUT WITH WHAT I SAW ON THE ADVERT I AM SATISFIED.I WILL LIKE YOU TO SEND ME SOME PICTURES OF THE PRESENT LOOK OF THE CAR.I LOVE THIS PARTICULAR MODEL.I WILL BE VERY HAPPY IF THE CAR IS MINE.I WILL ALSO WANT YOU TO KNOW I WILL BE PAYING YOU WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT, THE AMOUNT ON THIS DRAFT WILL BE MORE THAN THE PRICE OF YOUR CAR [OVERPAYMENT].THE EXCESS FUND ON THE DRAFT WILL BE FOR MY SHIPPING AGENT THAT WILL COME THE FOR PICKUP OF THE CAR AND SOME OF MY OTHER ITEMS I ALREADY BHOUGHT INSIDE AND OUTSIDE UK . ONCE YOU HAVE FUNDS CLEARED IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT YOU WILL DEDUCT YOUR TOTAL MONEY PLUS THE EXTRA'S FROM THE FUNDS AND WIRE THE EXCESS TO MY AGENT FOR PICKUP, SO THAT THEY CAN PROCEED WITH THE NECESSARY PAPERWORK AND ARRANGE WITH YOU A CONVINIENT DATE AND TIME FOR PICKUP. IF THIS IS OKAY BY YOU,YOU WILL HAVE TO GET BACK TO ME WITH SOME NECESSARY INFORMATION WHICH WILL BE NEEDED FOR THIS TRANSACTION TO PROCEED. THE INFORMATION IS AS FOLLOW; YOUR FULL NAME....

YOUR FULL ADDRESS WITH POSTCODE......
YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBERS BOTH OFFICE AND MOBILE/HOME NUMBERS... N:B THE NAME YOU GIVE WILL BE THE NAME YOU WILL SEE ON THE CHEQUE AND IT WILL BE SENT TO THE ADDRESS YOU MAIL TO ME.YOUR PHONE NUMBER IS FOR TIME TO TIME CONTACT.ALSO IF ANY BUYER CONTACT YOU ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR CAR, PLEASE TELL THEM IT'S ALREADY BEEN SOLD CAUSE AM READY TO MAKE PAYMENT AS SOON AS I GET THOES DETAILS NEEDED FROM YOU..I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO A HAPPY TRANSACTION. HOPING TO READ FROM YOU SOON.

REGARDS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message----- From: [email protected]

Thanks for your response..I'm quite satisfied with the condition and
price,and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to
purchase it right away, end the advert, consider me as your favorite
buyer. I will be paying the PayPal charges (3.4%) from my account and will be
paying directly into your PayPal account without any delay, and I hope
you have a paypal account. If you have one already, just send me the
address to send it to, which is the email address you use for it or
you can send me a paypal money request, so once i receive the details
i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then I will
contact my shipping agent after you get the payment. I will need
your home address for it to be Picked Up by the Shipping agent

Regards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:evil: Message:
Good morning dear,
To be candid i so much cherish what i have seen on your advert.But will be more grateful if you can come down on the price a lil bit,I'am actualy buying it for my son though and this the very type and model he demand for.
Kindly get back to me via [email protected]
I hope to hear a favourably reply from you,
Cheers,
Mr C Donne.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS FROM MOTORS.CO.UK :?

Someone’s interested in your car!

Name: mark smith

Email: [email protected]

You can either contact them directly or release your specified contact details to this person using our system. Click here to release your details.

THESE DETAILS ARE NOT GENUINE SO PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE ANYTHING TO HIM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so thats a start - I will add more as I get them - please feel free to add yours too . :beer:
Advertisement

#135700 by DaveyD1 Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:48 am
Received this one too.
----------
Customer Details:
NAME: MRS Kim Bruce
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: VAUXHALL
MODEL: ZAFIRA
PRICE: ?1995

Got your listing on autotrader and i would like to kno the present condition of it and your final sales price.kindly reply me via email on: [email protected]
#135790 by fleias Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:34 pm
I received a similar email re: craigslist add for my car for sale.

it was from:

John Turner [email protected]
3:37 PM (4 hours ago)

to me
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that the vehicle is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad and he is a mechanic, but the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you.

This was similar to other scams on here...
#136058 by cat0803 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 am
Here are the latest email addresses I have had scam offers from ....

[email protected]

Thanks for the swift response and am OK with the price you give it
away and i will like to pay by Pounds as i am buying this for my Dad
and due to the nature of my work and location...I will not be able to
come for inspection, am a very busy type as i work long hours
everyday, i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied
with it. As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure
way to pay online(PayPal) payment

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after
the payment have been made ...so no shipping included and with the
issue of my details, transferring the name of ownership and signing of
all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so
you don't have to worry about that. You can now send me your PayPal
email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in
your reply. If you don't have a PayPal
account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign
up its very easy... .await your reply asap
#136059 by cat0803 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 am
[email protected]

Good day,

In respect to your car, I'm much interested in buying it and will want to know if you still have it up for sale, please let me know if you still have it for sale.
I'm fine and comfortable with the details on the website but i will still want to know more about the car. please let me know more about the status of the car like

is it registered as new in the UK ?

Model?

Body Type ?

Taxation Class?

Cylinder Capacity (cc) ?

Color ?

M.O.T. ?

Test Number ?

Road Tax ?

Thank you very much as i look forward to your response.

Rick.
North wales.

I mean come on the advert CLEARLY shows the colour , make , model etc and most of the details but if he thinks I am posting my test number so he can forge certificates off he has another thing coming ....
#136060 by cat0803 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:39 am
I also find it very interesting that all these scammers never seem to provide numbers to phone :? so they have the *nerve* to email you and scam your money but never have the *nerve* to try and rip you off over the phone . :laugh-s:

Moderator edit to insert *nerve* in place of slang term. ~Bubbles
#136258 by Bubbles Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 am
Typically their accent would give away that they are not who they say they are. That is why they prefer email, they can be who ever they want to be.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#136913 by DaveyD1 Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:24 am
And another for the same car, the old chestnut oil rig nonsense :-

Thanks for the swift response about the car...... I will be very happy
to buy this vehicle for Dad..And also due to the nature of my job and
location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy
type i worked has a Marine engineer and am right now on the sea,i have
gone through your if advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to
pay online(PayPal) here.

Note:

Private shipping company agent will come for the pick off after the
payment have been DONE ...So no shipping included and With the issue
of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all
paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you
don't have to worry about that.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and
also include your address in your reply.If you don't have an account,
you can easily setup one...log on to www.paypal.co.uk and sign up its
very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work
mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad
weather, that was why i sent you a text, i even wonder how my message
deliver to you but for now we can only communicate through the same
mailing channel.

Hope to read from you soon with your PayPal email account and also
your full home address for the pick off..

Mark
#137546 by DaveyD1 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:01 am
And they go on and on.......

Hello Dave
i just spoke with him now and he travelled and might take a little while before he gets back,do you still want to proceed
regards
Benjamin

--- Davexxxxxxx <[email protected]> schrieb am Mo, 3.12.2012:

Von: Davexxxxxxx <[email protected]>
Betreff: Re: Enquiry
An: "Benjamin Garryton" <[email protected]>
Datum: Montag, 3. Dezember, 2012 23:33 Uhr

Hi Benjamin
Have an even better idea, tell him to bring the cash and we can do the transaction at my bank.
He can then arrange transport on your behalf once he has bought the car. So much simpler as I’m sure you will agree.
Please ensure that the agent can provide adequate proof of identity and is prepared to sign the necessary documentation re transfer of ownership.
Regards
Dave

On 03/12/2012 18:47, "Benjamin Garryton" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Dave
thanks so much for your response to my email regarding my inquiry on the sale of the
car,i want you to know that i am okay and fine with the price you have stated and i want
you to know that i am so serious about the purchase of the car,i am currently out of town
at the moment because of my contractual job,but i would send over a distant cousin to come and take a look at the car later after we have concluded the transaction,meanwhile i would like to know if you have more images of the car is apart from the ones you posted online and also i hope it is in the current state and condition as you described in the ad.
Secondly as regards payment for the car,a business partner of mine over there
that owes me would be making payment to you on my behalf for the car via a bank draft or
cheque drawn in GBP funds from a UK bank,the funds would include funds for the car plus
shipping,so that as soon as the payment has been made available to you and it has been
cleared your bank you would deduct the funds for the car,pay the private shipment broker
that would come and pick up the car and then release the car for shipment,so if you are
okay and fine with this and in order for us to proceed i would be needing the following

information's from you

Your full mailing address

Names to be written on the payment

Phone numbers inclusive of mobile

Please note that your full mailing address and phone numbers inclusive of mobile would be
needed for the pick up of the car because like i said earlier i have a private shipment
broker that would come over to your place to pick up the car as soon as funds and payment for the car have been made available to you,so i hope you are okay and fine with
everything,if so thanks so much for your understanding and patiently await your response
regards
Benjamin

Benjamin Garryton
Geyerstrasse 53,
80469 Munich,
Bavaria, Germany

--- Davexxxxx [email protected]> schrieb am Sa, 1.12.2012:

Von: Dave xxxxx <[email protected]>
Betreff: Re: Enquiry
An: [email protected]
Datum: Samstag, 1. Dezember, 2012 13:02 Uhr

The car is still for sale.
Come and see it and make me an offer.
Kind regards
Dave

On 30/11/2012 20:26, "[email protected] </mc/[email protected]> "
<[email protected] </mc/[email protected]> > wrote:

>
> The following customer is interested in the vehicle you are advertising on
> http://www.autotrader.co.uk
>
> Received: 30 November 2012 20:26
>
> Customer Details:
> NAME: MR Benjamin Garryton
> TELEPHONE:
> EMAIL: [email protected] </mc/[email protected]>
>
> Vehicle Details:
> MAKE: VAUXHALL
> MODEL: ZAFIRA
> PRICE: £xxxxx
>
> Message:
> Hi
> Please i would like to know if the car is still available for sale,if it is
> please how much are you willing to let it go for?,thanks so much and patiently
> await your response
> Regards
> Benjamin

---------------------

more scams the following has send hundreds of scam enquiries:-

Buyer's message:
Hi

Buyer's name:
john smith

Contact number:

Email:
[email protected]
#137657 by slycer2002 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm
I got a similar response from a car I'm selling on carsonline.com. I got a text message from the number 415-545-8872. This in itself struck me as strange as this is San Francisco and I'm in Illinois. But there is a college in my town, so it wouldn't suprise me if this was one of the college kids. The first text I got specifically mentioned the car and where they saw it advertised, and asked if it was still for sale, to which I just replied "Yes it is." The next text I got from them poured it on.
"Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price, i'm buying this for myself for Christmas. But the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i am on sea right now. Due to my contract on the sea, there is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop.

My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i..."

I never got the rest of what he/she was going to say. As soon as I saw this, I knew it was a scam, so I just replied simply "I'm sorry, but I don't use PayPal and have no desire to open an account. Too many scams! I will only accept cash." I haven't heard anything more in the last 30 minutes.

Just wanted to share my experience so maybe I can help someone else avoid being scammed.
#137699 by DaveyD1 Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 am
Just no end to the scumbags, here's another, it would be easier to say who wasn't a scammer :x

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming the available of the car for sale.

Your Final asking Price as Stated is ok by me and want to go ahead with the purchase of Car.Payment will be via a Bank Cheque or Banker Draft which will be issue to you for the payment of the Car.I will arrange pick up after the Cheque or Banker Draft is Fully Cleared by your Bank.

You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My Transporter will take care of shipping and pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is Cleared by your Bank and Please let me know if there is any other miscellaneous payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to it.

The Transportation cost and General maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount that will be issued on the cheque. it will be used By My shipper who will be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash available for use.

My Private Shipper will take of all Necessary documentation (DVLA AND V5 Registration document) and Registration that need to be done will be taken care by My Shipper and Please Note that the Car will be shipped to Madrid to be Use by My Daughter who is schooling over there in University .I have already forward some Details of the Car i found on the advert to Her already and She is fun of the car already.i intend to give the Car a new look and which i will forward the pics to you after General Maintenance have been done on it....it will be Fully Pimp and the Color will be Change.

I want you to get back to me with all the necessary information listed below in order to make out the Cheque or Banker Draft

Name to Be Written on The cheque or Banker Draft
Address To Send the Cheque or Banker Draft To so you receive and get it Deposited in your bank.
Your Phone Numbers.

Please rest assured that the Payment will get to you within next couple of working days. Awaiting for your swift response and your payment Information

I will expect your reply as soon as possible. That will enable me to issue the payment immediately.

Regards,
Hunt

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: Enquiry

Thanks Kieran
The car is still for sale, lowest price £xxxx
Regards
Dave

On 05/12/2012 09:18, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Customer Details:
> NAME: MR kieran hunt
> TELEPHONE: 0709748458
> EMAIL: [email protected]
>
> Vehicle Details:
> MAKE: VAUXHALL
> MODEL: ZAFIRA
> PRICE: xxxxxx
>
> Message:
> Hello,
> How are you doing? saw the advert of your car in Autotrader.Notify if the car
> is available for sale and your last asking price.
> Cheers,
> kieran
#137704 by wicked5 Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 am
Another one from Kieran, looks like "he" is active today 5th Dec.

Received: 5 December 2012 11:07

Customer Details:
NAME: MR kieran hunt
TELEPHONE: 0709748458

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: LEXUS
MODEL: IS
PRICE: £2150

How are you doing? saw the advert of your car in Autotrader.Notify if the car is available for sale and your last asking price.
Cheers,
kieran

My reply:

Due to the high number of scam emails please contact my mobile to discuss details of the car.

Regards,
Andrew
#137723 by wicked5 Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 am
Another faker from:

The following customer is interested in the vehicle you are advertising on
http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Received: 5 December 2012 00:06

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Richard Henderson
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: LEXUS
MODEL: IS
PRICE: ?2150

Just viewed your item on here and am highly interested in making purchase of it. Please kindly get back to me if still available for sell.
Thanks...

Richard

Hello,

GoodMorning And Thanks for getting back to me. I really like it and am interested in purchasing it for my Son as surprise gift for this Xmas. Please kindly get back to me with the current condition of it. I hope is in good condition? How many owner does it has? When have you been using it? Does it has a current road worthy certificate? Any more pic of it apart from the one in the ad? What about the MOT? Why are you selling it? Is the car AC working fine? What's your Last Asking Price? Please more info on it.
Thank you very much once again and hoping to read back from you.

Richard

Hello ,

Thanks for your mail once again, I do want you to know that am Ok with your last asking price and also the info about the vehicle. Kindly note that i will be paying you through my online paypal account as that's how i easily quickly pay for my online Purchase, Also the only fastest way you can receive the Money.

I am sorry won't be able to come for the inspection because i am little far away and also kinda busy but that will not be a problem as this is not my first time of purchasing on Autotrader. I had already seen it on Autotraders and i am okay with it. My Shipping company will be responsible for any changing of necessary papers.
For the Payment. Please Kindly get back to me with the details for payment if you accept Paypal. Get back to me with the Email linked to your Paypal account if you have one and if you are new to the Paypal,you can easily set up your own Paypal account at http://www.paypal.com its Easy, Fast, Safe and Secured, all i need is the email address you use in your registration with Paypal, that will enable me to make the payment, and with your address for pick up,as I will arrange a shipping agent my self.
The Email Linked To Your Paypal Account : . . . . .
Your Address For Pick-Up : . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Your 24/7 Always ON Mobile Phone Number :...........
Your address will be needed for the shipping agent to give me the cost of their shipment for me.
PayPal do charge little fee out of each transaction, I will take care of that on my side and the shippers will come for the pick up after payment,so please email me with the information as soon as possible.
Thanks once again and hoping to read from you...

Richard

Interestingly enough the company from the email ([email protected]) Ravenscroft Construction Limited is a company based in Guernsey, after a check on duedil, it shows that the company is now disolved. As the email looks to be perhaps there main account, you would expect the user to at least be a director. And of course, no sign of richard henderson as a director.
Last edited by wicked5 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
#137738 by wicked5 Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 am
Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I
am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i
dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my
paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all
i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if
you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you
less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l
can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after
payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap..

[email protected]
Murray Smith

Gumtree/Motors.co.uk

Seems be a common theme from autotrader now, the persons name will be visble in the email username followd by a string of random numbers, and they will ALWAYS ask "last selling price" - Who the hell in real life would ask that in those words
Last edited by Bubbles on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#151926 by ckt Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 pm
I got the same email from him too! check this out. Lucky i found this forum before selling my car!
BE CAREFUL !!

email sender:John Turner <[email protected]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that the vehicle is in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad and he is a mechanic, but the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me.
So i look forward to hear from you.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:

Many Thanks