Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
Advertisement

#172454 by jwgordon2004 Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 pm
I received this today after I posted a car on Autotrader.com from Beverly Williams [[email protected]], thankfully I looked on the internet for scams, it just sounded to good to be true.

Good, I'm located in McGregor, TX. Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks
Beverly.
#172456 by TerranceBoyce Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners jwgordon2004.

You're correct. It's an absolutely standard scam, most often from a West African scammer. He's mailing the same offer to hundreds of sellers daily hoping to snare a few.

He'll send you a spoofed Paypal mail which'll include the collection costs and then ask you to pay his imaginary mover, which is him, by Western Union. This way he can tap away on his i pad in the bar and then just collect his 'winnings' at the end of the day.

The story is a bit silly really because, if he could pay you by Paypal he could pay the mover the same way, but the scam doesn't work if he does that. He's swapping a fake Paypal message for a small cash payment.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#172564 by MLambert Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:31 am
Have just received the following, and it was only when it did not feel right that I put kudeti larah into a search engine and found that I am not the first to have been contacted.

kudeti larah < [email protected] >
Thanks for the prompt response.I'm Okay with the condition of the Car as i have already go through it on the ad but just trying to make little inquiry from you ready to buy it now for my Daughter, I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer,and due to the nature of my Job.....phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you a Text regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my Daughter i won't let her know anything about it until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it,Get back to me with your PayPal email and the price so i can proceed with the payment quickly, and sorry if you don't have an Account, you sign-up for a PayPal personal account http://www.paypal.com it is very fast and easy to set up. And there is a shipping company pick up agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been sorted out.
Thanks

I shall NOT be proceeding, and have informed Autotrader ...
#173191 by Ston Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:37 am
Another fake buyer e-mail:

[email protected]

'I am at sea...
... can only pay by paypall...
...buying for someone else...
... agent will pick up the car...'

... :evil:

Does anyone know the of a way to get back at these guys?
#173431 by Tanuki1100 Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 am
This scammer also operates under the names
Michael Milan and Junior Peter
Michael Smit, [email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Catherine Berben, [email protected]

Josh Walker (unknown address)

Oludele Fadare
7951 riggs road h3
Hyattsville Maryland

Believe me there are thousands more all using the exact same script out there, this list is just a few. The email most often associated with autotrader scam is below.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday
gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a
marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call and
visiting of websites are restricted but I just have to squeezed out
time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really
want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't
let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I
am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as
my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account
online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my
PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account,
so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address
and your final price so I can make the payment for the car asap.
Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set
up, log on to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it
up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration
with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a shipper that will
come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the
car and funds available in your account.

My Regards.

If you get one of this reply ignore them and report the scammer immediately.
#174066 by pyne Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 am
Hi all,
I'm very aware of scammers (have unfortunately been ripped off a couple of times in the past by fraudulent sellers), and was extremely wary when someone was happy buying my bike on auto trader, without wanting to checking its condition in person, and seemingly not interested in trying to barter the price down (like any regular buyer would). I came across this site when googling one of the many email addresses, who all have surprisingly similar stories.
I can post the emails themselves, however, to save time and space, here's the list of scammers' email addresses I've been contacted by so far:
(I don't mean to hijack anyone else's post, if there's a correct area to post this, I apologise - please point me in the right direction, cheers!)

------
Received: 14 August 2013 09:03

Customer Details:
NAME: MRS Peters
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]
------
Received: 12 August 2013 13:16

Customer Details:
NAME: MR James cole
TELEPHONE:
------
Received: 12 August 2013 03:59

Customer Details:
NAME: MR jake ford
TELEPHONE: 07886967269
------
Received: 6 August 2013 01:21

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Issac Omari
TELEPHONE:
------
Received: 6 August 2013 13:58

Customer Details:
NAME: MR James cole
TELEPHONE:
------
Received: 4 August 2013 03:34

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Went Miller
TELEPHONE:
#175757 by coccocinel Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:14 am
Hullo everyone,

My car has been for sale for the past 3 weeks on the Autotrader's website and since then I receive scam emails EVERY DAYS!!! at the beginning I sent them to hell very politely but it seems they are so stupid they don't understand you are making fun of them. Every time they find some stupid excuse such as they are navy officer or anoy other job that justify they don't have (or limitated) access to internet and phone. So, here is a list of some of their fake names and emails they use. I hope google will copy that and keep it in the cache:

Josh Justin
[email protected]

Mrs Lisa Gabriel
[email protected]

Mrs kudeti Larah orMRS kudeti Larah
[email protected]

james hamilton
[email protected]

MR Kieran Payne
[email protected]

MR prodromos chrysanthou
[email protected]

There is absolutely no doubt that these names/email address are scams.
#175814 by TerranceBoyce Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:45 am
If a person makes an enquiry - fair enough, but if they start rambling on about being unable to view or collect it, then you might as well write them off as a scammer and waste of time.

Part of the scammer's plan is to waste your time and make you commit to them buying your item. Then they believe they can get you to pay them money.

If you're selling you don't pay anyone anything, If you do you're being scammed.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#176073 by Nigel1603 Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm
I had the following too and sent him back a big no thanks as James Hamilton was a navy officer who died in 1755!

Thanks to scamwarners for helping me not be sooooo gullible!

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm ok with the condition of the car, as I
have already gone through it on the advert and I am ready to buy it
now as a gift for my Daughter.
I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer,and due to the nature
of my job, the making phone calls and visiting websites are restricted
but I found some time to check your advert and send you an email
regarding it.
I really want it to be a surprise for my daughter, I won't let her
know anything about it until it gets delivered to her. I am sure she
will be more than happy with it. I
insist on paypal because I don't have access to my bank account online
as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my paypal
account, as i
have my bank a/c attached to it. Get back to me with your paypal email
and the price so that I can proceed with the payment quickly. If you
don't have an account, you can sign-up for a paypal personal account
at www.paypal.com it is
very fast and easy to set up. There is a shipping company agent that
will pick up the car after the payment has been sorted out.

Thanks.
#176086 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:06 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Nigel1603.

it's easy enough to fall in to the trap and you'd probably catch on as his scheme unfolds, but the quicker you can spot the scammer coming at you, the less of your time is wasted and the more of his earns him nothing.

They'll keep trying and there'll always be someone who gets stung but the more the word is spread the better.

#176449 by go4tidal Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:52 am
Just received the Naval officer version -- warning to all, still happening

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=047d7b16013dae424d04e6693156
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 130914-1, 09/14/2013), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

Thanks for your urgent response, I'm okay with the price and I'm pleased
with the condition as i have already gone through it on the advert, but
just trying to make little inquiry from you, I'm ready to buy it now as a
gift for my Daughter, I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer,and
due to the nature of my Job.....
#176450 by TerranceBoyce Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27 am
Welcome to Scamwarners go4tidal.

The 'I'm at sea' excuse is the most common reason why the scammer says he can't view your item, but they will come up with new ones as they realise it's a dead giveaway. Anyone who can't view or pick up your vehicle personally is scamming you, and it'll be obvious how when he asks you to pay an imaginary collection agent by Western Union.

If you're selling an item there is never any need for you to pay anyone anything. It's a scam.