Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#59186 by Katharina Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 am
Welcome dr.mess,
I'm glad you can't be fooled.
However, please keep in mind you are dealing with a criminal. When he becomes aware that you are messing with him he just might decide to retaliate. He has got some information about you and could use it to harass you. So just drop him.
Advertisement

#59227 by dr.mess Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 pm
thank you Katharina,

i really wish i can do more and find out who this guy is ..but you're right and i did drop it

cheers :beer:
#59415 by frankmanue Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 pm
Hi!

I have also had somebody trying to scam me in buying my boat on kijiji.
This is the concersation we had, knew it was too good to be true!

RE: Réponse à votre annonce « North star boat w/ 25 hp suzuki motor & trailer+BONUS 3000$ obo » sur Kijiji?

15:56

Payment completed
Please check your PayPal email for confirmation as you should have received notification from them
Also let me know your schedule,contact and location for the pickup
Here is the shipping agent's info that will be picking the money up and this is what you will fill in the form,please follow it to the letter

Receiver Name: Steve Miller.
62-65 Trafalgar Square.
London,WC2N 5DY.
United Kingdom

On the Western Union receipt,you will find the MTCN number and also the name you used in sending the money and the exact amount sent,all these will be needed by the agent in picking it up

I sent extra $60 for Western Union Charges
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:30:20 -0700
Subject: RE: Réponse à votre annonce « North star boat w/ 25 hp suzuki motor & trailer+BONUS 3000$ obo » sur Kijiji
To: @hotmail.com

http://www.searates.com/sealine/cp_ships.htm

--- On Tue, 7/19/11,@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: Réponse à votre annonce « North star boat w/ 25 hp suzuki motor & trailer+BONUS 3000$ obo » sur Kijiji
To: [email protected]
Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 4:47 PM

Do you have the shipping company information? I tried searching it on Google and can't find it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:09:04 -0700

You can pay by cash at western union outlet or shop near you,will provide you shipping company details after I've paid you.

Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 4:35 PM

Is it possible to send me a copy of this email? And I also did some research and you can make payments by western union at money mart, postal office, etc. You can check out their website at www.westernunion.ca

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:58:44 -0700

Canadian Pacific Ships(CP Ships),hope to proceed.

--- On Tue, 7/19/11, @hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 4:24 PM

Which shipping company is it?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:50:06 -0700

I'll proceed with the payment shortly,but need to tell you that I just received email from my shipper that I'll need to pay them through western union first before coming for the pick up at your location,As a miner,I'm unable to do this and I've checked online at western union website if possible for me to send the money to them using my PayPal account,but only accept credit card which I didn't bring along with me. I need your help in helping me to do this as I'll be adding the shipper fees to the payment and help me to get it to them through western union to their head office at abroad,an amount of $1300 will be added to the payment,You can have the money sent through western union outlet near you.
Can I proceed with the payment now.
Regards.

--- On Tue, 7/19/11, @hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 1:54 PM

So the paypal information has been sent under the email adress [email protected]
As soon as everything is OK, we will schedule a pick up time. My wife or I will be able to meet up with the shipper pretty much at any time.
Thank you
Frank
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:21:27 -0700

Ok,it will be pick up by my shipper(shipping company) after full payment is been deposited into your PayPal account,but need to schedule a pick up time with you as I'm in Regina right now.
Regards.

Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 1:48 PM

Hi,

I will be sending you the paypal information shortly. When the payment will be received, I will make myself available to the person who will pick it up to give him the keys, the subwoofers and amplifier, as well as the gift certificate and gas container. Can I please have contact information so we can arrange ourselves for the pick-up?

Thank you!
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:26:40 -0700
Just wanted to know that I didn't missed anything,I can purchase at your asking price and I will be paying the with PayPal and have pick up done from your location as I am out of province at the moment.
Regards

************************************************************************************************

Anyways, the guy didn't make any sense in what he was saying, he sais he was out of the province in Regina (Saskatchewan), but wanted it shipped to the UK. And he was a minor so he couldn't make a western union money transfer to the shipping company, because he had left his credit cards at home... ? Then he sent me the email saying that he had transferred the amount, to check out my emails, which I did, and this is what they said:

[email protected]

À @hotmail.com

Dear ,

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $3,000.00 CAD from Mike Cowley ([email protected]) via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.

View the "NOTE" of this pending transaction below
Payment Details

Merchandise Amount:
$3,000.00 CAD
Agent Charges:
Taxes :
Total:

$1,360.00 CAD
$0,00.00 CAD
$4,360.00 CAD

Transaction Id:

5X472815E1267414M

Quantity:
Auto Title:
North star boat w/ 25 hp suzuki motor & trailer.
Transport Company: CP Ships.

Address: Steve Miller.
62-65 Trafalgar Square.
London.
WC2N 5DY.
United Kingdom.

Address Status:Confirmed

NOTE:This is to confirm to you that the said amount has been successfully transferred by the buyer and has been deducted from their PayPal account and it is ready to be credited into your account.However,been that this Payment is for a MERCHANDISE purchased from you,we reserve the right to make sure this transaction is safe and secure because of the high sum of funds involved.

The above sum has included the transport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal MERCHANDISE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from the PayPal Customer Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the shipping charges and taxes to the transport company with the above details as soon as possible.
You may click here to contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.
Sincerely,
PayPal Team.
PayPal Email ID PP307
And then an other one saying:

Important Information on how to complete the transaction (Transaction ID: 5X472815E1267414M)?
[email protected]
À @hotmail.com

Dear ,

You have received a PayPal Payment of $4,360.00 CAD from Mike Cowley ([email protected]).

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office,and send the $1,360.00 CAD to the Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company: CP Ships.
Address: Steve Miller.
62-65 Trafalgar Square.
London,WC2N 5DY.
United Kingdom
Address Status: Confirmed

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. It should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:
Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent;
Kingly click here or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information or to contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and include either transaction ID or reference number (PP307) quick recognition of this transaction.
Thank you for using PayPal,
The PayPal Team.
Sincerely,

PayPal Team.

PayPal Email ID PP307

**********************************************************************************************

So yeah, like I said, it was too good to be true, especially when I had just put up the advertisement a few hours before....

Please be vigilent and make sure your family and friends are too, keep an eye open for those scammers! They'll try to f*** you over in any way they can!
#60505 by thacoolmom Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:40 pm
Selling my car online, I too recieved the infamous scam email(s). Even though my vehicle is priced to sell, it does not run and has issues. So, the red flag for me was "WHY would ANYone NOT want to find out more details about a vehicle so they could verify the purchase--if anything but just to validate??" These are the only 2 emails I recieved:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: July 31, 2011
Subject: (my vehicle)

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
--
Hello Do you still have this merchandise for sale ??

Mathematics Teacher
Assistant Varsity Volleyball Coach
Cheerleading Coach
Softball Coach
Freshmen Class Sponsor
Hinckley-Big Rock High School
------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was remailed to you via: [email protected]
If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now:
http://www.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCod ... 7ci9HG2Lqg
----------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: July 31, 2011
To: 'Rebeca Miller'
Subject: RE: (my vehicle)

Yes, I do.

Less than 4 hours later, I recieved this forwarded email where my response was sent to this person:

Sent: 7/31/2011
To: me
Subject: (my vehicle)

"Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for birthday gift for brother in-law and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my brother in-law so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payments... Thanks"

Thanks to the generous ppl who contribute to this forum, I confirmed my suspicions and thought I would do the same in hopes it would help someone else. Its a shame these scammers waste all the time they do (theirs and everyone elses)--not to mention the moral and ethical aspect of it.

Good luck to all :)
#60509 by Arnold Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:53 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners.
You've probably noticed that the emails refer only to the "merchandise" and "it" so that the first email can be sent out in bulk, and the second without the need to personalize it.
From the scammers' point of view, it isn't a waste of time. They do it as it is profitable.

#66251 by WillShaz Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:53 pm
I am selling a caravan on Gumtree and got back an email that is very similar to the one that you posted. It was great to see yours so that I had no doubt that it was a scam, Thanks. The offer was from [email protected] and this was the content:

"Thanks for the mail, I'm seriously interested in buying this for my Father i wish to view it but right now am not around and am okay with your selling price, I'm a Petroleum Engineer and currently offshore i really want this as a surprise gift for my Father so i won't let him know anything about this until it get delivered to him. You can mail me back with your PayPal email address so i can make the payment to you right now and if you don't have an account with paypal you can set up an account today as it's secured and reliable visit their website on www.paypal.co.uk. i will be responsible for the payment fees/charges on this transaction. Do not worry about shipping or picking up as my pick up agent will come and pick it up from you once have made the payment to you and will love to see the recent pic if my approval is granted get back to me with your full Name,address and phone number so you have your money immediately for you to spend.

Get back to me with your.
Full Name
PayPal Email Address
Phone #"
#71577 by Chazzles Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 pm
Hi all

I've had the same communication from [email protected] regarding a car I'm selling on Auto Trader.

this was his second email below:
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now as a
birthday gift for my brother in-law. I am at sea at the moment as I am
a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call making
and visiting of website are restricted but I just have to squeezed out
time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really
want the car to be a surprise package for brother in-law so I wont let
him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am
sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on PayPal as
my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account
online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my
PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account,
so I will need you to give me your PayPal email address and your final
price as I am really not good at offering so I can make the payments
asap for the car and please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it
is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after
you have set it up I will only need the e-mail address you use for the
registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick
up agent that will come and pick the car up after I have made the
payments for the car.

My Regards.

Clearly I've not responded and have forwarded the email to Auto Trader legal services.
#74666 by Crissy Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:15 pm
Hi,
I got a very similar email from [email protected] in response to my Craigslist post. The scammer referred to himself as Mattew Scott and here are his emails:
The first came from [email protected] and read:
Is it still available for sale?

I replied with yes it is and within a few hours got this response from a different email address.

The other email address was : [email protected]
The content of the email read:

I'm interested and consider it sold,can i trust you,actually i'm
working in ship and most time i am off shore and could you please
provide me with recent pictures including this item so i can see the
condition also,i'll be paying you from my paypal account, so if you
are still okay in selling it off to me,kindly get back to me with your
full paypal email address so i can send the money as soon as i have
your paypal info. and i will need you to give me your paypal email
address so i can make the payment asap for the item and if you don't
have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
http://www.paypal.com and get it set up.. looking forward to your
response.

Many Thanks

Mattew

The whole long distance transaction made me nervous and I found it hard to believe anyone would ever buy a truck without checking it out and test driving it, so I did a little digging and ended up on your forum. The email and name is different but it seems to be the same as the others.
#74807 by Bubbles Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am
Welcome to ScamWarners Crissy. It is great to hear information here was helpful to you. Thank you for posting this information to help others to be able to find and not get trapped.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#75548 by mainewoodsgirl Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:20 pm
I was just contacted today by a scammer. Luckily I searched his email address: [email protected] and found all of these posts to instantly validate my suspicions that he was a scamming me. He said he was interested in my 1967 Mustang and wanted to send me almost $14,000 USD instantly and wanted my address as soon as possible so his shipping company could pick it up. I am so thankful I have found this site, since this is the second time someone has tried scamming me on Craigslist. Here are a couple of his emails:

response.

Don't worry about the pick up,my shipping agent will be coming to pick it
up as soon the money had been credited into your account . I'll like you to
send me your address so that my shipping agent can figure it out and come
for the pick up and other necessary things....more so,send me your PayPal
details(PayPal email) so i can pay in.

Await your response.

Many Thanks

Mattew Scott

These were sent just a few hours after listing the car, and the incorrect grammar and spelling was my first tip off. I agree with a previous poster that reporting them only makes them create a new name. Sharing the information is the way we can all stay safe from these jerks!
#75691 by areeno_9 Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 am
I have also had similar stories emailed through to me from three email accounts. All generally along similar lines with very poor english.

Hi, Thanks for the response,i am so much interested in purchasing the carand am very okay with your price,but i will not be able to come andinspect it because I'm not in town presently,i would love to know it'spresent condition and the reason you are selling it.I will arrange forthe pick up and delivery through my private shipping agent,so kindlyget back to me with your PayPal account email address so that i canproceed with the payment as soon as possible. Thanks and hope to read from you soon. RegardsFrank

Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore in Nevada and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. In case if you will want to call me to talk to me on phone you can easily text me on this number 07539782775.I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.co.uk and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.what is your final price including the PayPal charges?and i'll like to see more pics of it.

Email addresses were:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

As i am typing this message another similar email has come through from:

[email protected]

Very frustrating.
#75699 by lilsmokey Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 pm
I want to thank you for posting this. I too received a similar email when trying to sale my 1967 Camero. I thought it suspicious when he asked for paypal information and a few other suspicious questions. So THANKS for posting on this site so that I was able to search the email address [email protected] of which he identified himself as "Matthew Scott" .
A copy of one of his email is as follows:
response.