Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#20679 by Ralph Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 am
I am currently in the process of selling a car on carsales.com.au

I received an email from this person a day after the car was listed;

Name: Robert Lucas
Town/Suburb: LILYDALE
Postcode: 4021
Mobile Phone: 0419847094
Email: [email protected]
Comments:
Hello Mate, Do you still have this car available for sale?

The email itself seemed quite unusual, especially since the car was only just listed but to be on the safe side I sent a reply;

Yes, the car is for sale

Then I received another message that confirmed my suspicions;

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buying it now as a gift for my Great Father. I am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my father so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com.au and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments...

Regards

Robert R Lucas

At this point, as much as I would have liked to gather more information, I sent a simple reply;

The car was sold locally
Thank you

There were several tell tale signs that this was a scam;
The language used
He wanted another party to pick the car up
His insistence and even instructions on how to receive payment in the way it suited him.
The lack of negotiation and willingness to pay the full price

Had communication continued, I would presume that I would have received an email that appeared to be from paypal saying that the money had been paid with an additional amount paid that was to be forwarded to his agent, most likely by Western Union.

The scammer may have even added an additional amount to compensate me for my trouble.

Of course, the payment would not have actually reached my paypal account and any money sent to his agent would be lost and gone forever.

I may have even received additional emails pretending to be the auction site, Pay Pal or even the police suggesting that I should forward payment immediately to the agent.

By checking the header of the email I received it appears the email was sent from 85.214.149.35 Germany
Advertisement

#20774 by Ralph Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm
Another of our Moderators has used an anonymous email address to gather more information from this scammer.

In this email, the scammer will try to explain the procedure he has put together, of course, it is all lies designed around how to steal your money;

Hello Removed, I was just about to make the payment when i had this little problem with the picking up,I got an email from my agent..i taught i included that in my previous email.he said he won't come and pick up the item unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time ,and my pick up agent head quarters is in the United Kingdom and all commission payments made for pick up, from anywhere in the world is sent to their head quarters in the UK and the only form of payments they accept is western union money transfer and i tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring along, and there is no post office(there is usually a western union section in most post offices) or any western union agent offshore! so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the $3,000 they charged to pick it up and take it my home(1st class treatment), to the payments i will send through paypal. After i have made the payments and it has been confirmed by paypal, i will need you to help me send the $3,000 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made at a post office near to you,there is always a western union agent in most post offices or online at www.westernunion.com .I will be making the payments shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done..

Interesting, he is suggesting you could use Western Union online yet he has no access to Western Union or he would pay himself, of course, if he said he was able to pay himself he wouldn't be able to scam you.

Below is the reply from paypal that I expected, some details have been removed and I have not reproduced the multi colours and logos;

Note - Accountant.com is a free email provider commonly used by scammers in the hope of seeming more legitimate, I doubt any real accountants would use such an address and it certainly is not part of ebay
Date: 2010/1/25
Subject: Notification Of An Instant Payment Received From Robert Lucas (Transaction ID: 0TR19308DU070732T)
To: Removed email address

Dear Removed fake name,

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $38,599.00 AUD from Robert Lucas ([email protected]) via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.

View the "NOTE" of this pending transaction below

Payment Details

Merchandise Amount: $35,499.00 AUD

Agent Charges:

Taxes and Insurance:

Total:

$3,100.00 AUD (the amount we will be asked to forward to his "shipper")

$0.00 AUD

$38,599.00 AUD

Transaction Id:0TR19308DU070732T

Quantity:

AUTO Title: Removed car type

Transport Company: UAB"Kuršiu Linija"

Address:
Robbin Clegg,
42 Draycott Place,
Chelsea,
Central London,
SW3 2SH.
United Kingdom.

He has made a small slip up here, the car was on an Australian website, he will not be told of this in teh hope he will slip up with potential victims

Address Status: Confirmed

NOTE: This is to confirm to you that the said amount has been successfully transferred by Robert Lucas and has been deducted from his PayPal account,which is ready to be credited into your account,been that this Payment has been subjected to be a Payment for an MERCHANDISE purchased from you we reserve the right to make sure this transaction is safe and secured also to verify the legitimacy level on this transaction because of the high sum of funds involved.

The above sum has included the transport charges and taxes as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal MERCHANDISE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from the PayPal Customer Verification Department Shortly informing you on how to send the shipping charges and taxes to the transport company with the above details as soon as possible.

You may contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and Quote the Above Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction at [email protected].
Again, this is a free email provider and certainly not an actual email from paypal

Sincerely,
PayPal
#20775 by Ralph Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:51 pm
Not too long after the "paypal" email this was sent by the scammer;

Note, he has absolutely no interest in the car

Robert Lucas <[email protected]>

Hello Removed,I just want to inform you that i have just completed the payment and i hope you must have been notified in your email about the payment i made through PayPal, you can check your e-mail for confirmation of payment, I have just make the payment of $38,599.,i have decided to add the amount of $2,100 which i paid through paypal, So please i will like you to help me wire the sum of $2,000 (there seems to be a mistake here with the figures, that will be overlooked) to my agent via western union so he can be able to come for the pick up (Here comes the part that explains why you need to send money up front before the money actually appearing on your account, of course, its a lie) and also paypal said they won't release the funds until they get the western union information from you due to the fact that i emailed them about the excess payment i made.i will need you to send the $2,000 to my pick up agent Headquarters where they normally confirm any commission payment to via western union money transfer(this can be done from the post office,or online at www.westernunion.com) as they usually have a western union agent there) , i added extra $100 to cover the western union charges, (this is no surprise, in this type of scam they will often pay over and above the asking price just to keep their victim happy) Here is my pick up agent Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer

Robbin Clegg,
42 Draycott Place,
Chelsea,
Central London,
SW3 2SH.
United Kingdom.

Please kindly email the necessary details to paypal :the mtcn which you will be given at the western union after the $2,000 has been sent as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through western union,so i can forward it to paypal or better still you can email it to paypal directly.
#20776 by Ralph Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:57 pm
Here is a follow up from "Paypal", again, the original contained multi colours, pictures and logos in teh hope of looking more legitimate

Date: 2010/1/25
Subject: Important Information On How To Complete Your Recent Transaction (Transaction ID: 0TR19308DU070732T)
To: Removed

Dear Removed,

You have received a PayPal Payment of $38,599.00 AUD from Robert Lucas ([email protected]) .

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office, and send the $3,000.00 (you may recall the last email said $2,000) AUD to the Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.

Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company UAB"Kuršiu Linija"

Address:Robbin Clegg,
42 Draycott Place,
Chelsea,
Central London,
SW3 2SH.
United Kingdom.

Address Status:Confirmed

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested. It should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as:
Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent;

You may Click Here or reply to this message directly using the reply button in your email to submit the required information or to contact the PayPal Customer Verification Department and include either transaction ID or reference number (PP307) quick recognition of this transaction at [email protected].

Sincerely,
PayPal
#21328 by Ralph Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 am
Scammers, and in particular auction / selling site scammers will modify their details on a regular basis, email addresses will be changed about weekly and the details used will have subtle changes made in an attempt to look more realistic and avoid being picked up in searches.

Note these slight variations to this scam

This one where the car is for his great mother;

First message through the car site (in this case carsales.com.au)

Name: Nicholas
Town/Suburb: DONVALE
Postcode: 3003
Mobile Phone: 0469827644
Email: Unusuable email address

Comments:
Hello seller, is this car still available for sale

Then from the email address he used at the time

[email protected]

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buying it now for birthday gift for my Great Mother and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my Mother so i wont let her know anything about the car until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments...

Thanks

Then this one where he is buying the car for his brother in-law from this email address [email protected]

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy the car now for birthday gift for brother in-law and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding the car. I really want it to be a surprise for my brother in-law so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to

www.paypal.com.au and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments...

Thanks

Also note this warning from carsales.com.au

Important Notice for Private Sellers: Please be aware that there is a phishing scam running currently with some buyers only operating through their Pay Pal account. If the buyer advises that they do not have internet banking and have a pick up agent then this is not a legitimate enquiry.

It is not a phishing scam as such but it is good to see they have a warning that should alert most people.

Phishing scams seek to aquire your details in order to steal money from your account, this scam as described above is different as the agent' fee is supposed to be payed by you to the shipping agent using Western Union.

The shipping agent is the same person who originally contacted you.
#21787 by carina wanganeen Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:29 pm
this same person is trying to use the same scam on me right now he approched me about my $5000 motorbike saying he wants it sent to his home and he will pay the shipping fee when it came to me trying to get the money from paypal he said i have to pay the shipping fee before the money can be released.
i thought he was legit but yes there was tell tail signs and luckily i did not pay the money into the western union account.
he also said his name was andrew smith from the andrew smith gallery in new mexico so i rang them and asked sum questions they said andrew smith will be back on monday. well monday has come round now and this so called andrew smith is still at sea.
at this present time i am aware that this is a scam and i am playing with it.
other than putting it up on sites like this could someone suggest other ways to screw this guy.
the original site was gumtree
#21789 by Arnold Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, and well done for not falling for it.
We strongly advise people not to bait scammers from their real life email addresses. They are criminals, and it's better and safer to do it anonymously.
Have you visited our baiting site net door? www.419eater.com

#21801 by Ralph Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm
Hi Carina

Could you please post the email address and emails from the scammer, it will make a huge difference :wink:
#21810 by Ralph Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am
Hi Carina

It is almost certain that the details he has given you are fake.

Could you please post the email address, by doing so you may well prevent others from being scammed.
#22592 by samg Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm
My sister is selling a car on carsales and received the same thing...

[i]From: Davids Matins <[email protected]>
[i][i]Received: Friday, 19 February, 2010, 3:44 AM

Thanks for the prompt response..I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my Great Father and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my father so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments.
[/i]

They are using my mum's paypal account and luckily she (my mum) asked me some questions which lead to my suspicion - I'm glad she did but feel sorry for people who aren't as internet savvy...

Anyway, just wanted to put his name & email address on here in case he uses the same details on some one else.
#22594 by Ralph Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm
Hi Sam and welcome to Scamwarners.

Well done on being able to spot this as a scam and save your sister from losing any money.

Thank you also for providing the latest email address and name used in the scam.

It seems you have this well under control but if you have any questions please feel free to ask
#22820 by dalexop Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:56 pm
Wow,
I've received two very similar emails regarding the van I posted on Kijiji.

1)
Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buying it now for a gift for my brother in-law and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the Goods to be a surprise for brother in-law so i wont let him know anything about the Goods until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the Goods. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the Goods and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the Goods up after i have made the payments...Hope to read from you soon

2)
I deleted this one. It was very similar to this posting.
They stated that they wanted to perform the transaction through an agent in the UK.

This is a very sophisticated automated scam !
#22821 by Ralph Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Hi alexop and welcome to Scamwarners.

I am glad you found out about this before losing money, not everybody is as fortunate as you have been.

If you have the email address used by any chance it would be a huge help in keeping others from being scammed.

If you deleted the email, you may still find the email address in your sent items ;)

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#23205 by mattyau1 Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 am
Re: xxxxxxxxx
Sent: xxxxxx, 23 February 2010 xxxxxxx AM
To: xxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Thanks for your swift response. I would love to have a direct link to the car sales ad for verification.

I would also like to know if it has had any mechanical faults and also love to have more detailed pictures of the car.

Do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give the car away. I will be very glad to conclude this as soon as possible.

Due to the nature of my work, I will not be able to travel out of the United kingdom to come for the inspection. I will however be needing your city, state and postal code so that I can forward it to my shipping agent here in the United Kingdom who will be coming over there for the inspection and shipping of the car.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon..
Mary.

Another email scam goggled email and did not come up so thought i should post as this is the second scam i have received since posting my car on line.

Cheers.