Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#270705 by AlanJones Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:40 am
I have just completed the payment and i expected PayPal to have notified you to this effect check your mail folders (inbox,spam and junk mail) i sent $2,250 in all.i added $1,000 but $950 will be sent to my agent in China through western union at post office,the extra $50 is to cover the western union fee. PayPal said they will not release the fund until you email them the western union details for verification,and also to enable my pick up agent to come for pick up and inspection.Here is the agent's details where the money will be sent.
First name: Yalin
Surname: Wang
Address: Jiangxi gongzi.jintai lu
City:Ji'an
State:Jiangxi
Zip:343900
Please get the necessary details sent to PayPal (Money Transfer Control Number)MTCN and senders name and address used to send the $950 so that they can release the whole fund into your account.Please get back to me once done

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
Advertisement

#270706 by AlanJones Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:41 am

Dear XXX ,

This email confirms that a payment confirmation e-mail you recently received as regards a payments of $2,250.00 CAD sent to you by Webbtomson James is Originated from PayPal® Service, and as soon as you have e-mailed the necessary western union details for a transferred sum of $950.00 CAD to the address you were provided with the in the payment confirmation e-mail sent to you earlier, a sum of $2,250.00 CAD will be credited into your account.

The transfer can be done via Western Union Money Transfer Post Office. Click this link for nearest western union office section at your post office.

Your Account will be credited accordingly upon the receipt of details requested . It should either be sent in JPG format or send type details as: Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; MTCN; Amount Sent.

Please, understand that this is a security measure to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller. Therefore, we apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help Center: For any inquiries, you can contact our customer care service by replying directly to this e-mail directly, as this transaction was done via e-mail, all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address only and any inquiries about this transaction directed to our phone service section will be returned as null and void.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scam Defence
Safety Advice
This transaction is safe and secured, the buyer does not access to cancel the transaction under our new Secured Station Service(SSS) and this not a "Scam". You Safe And Protected With PayPal® Service.

Thank you for using PayPal Security !

Help Center |
Copyright © 1999-2015 PayPal Canada Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (AFSL 304962). All rights reserved.

Any general financial product advice provided in this site has not taken into account your objectives, financial situations or needs.

PayPal Email ID PP1525

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#270708 by AlanJones Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:41 am
You've got new funds from Webbtomson James

Transaction Overview

Summary of this payment

Transaction ID 9TQ95072YQ3810695P
Transaction STATUS PENDING
Sent To
XXX
Sent From [email protected]

Date Oct-05- 2015
Amount
Shipping Charges
Estimated Western Union Charges
Total $1,250.00 CAD
$950.00 CAD

$50.00 CAD
$2,250.00 CAD

To receive this payment, locate the nearest Western Union Office in your area Find Agent Location to proceed with the payment of the Pick-Up Agent Fee.

Issues with this transaction

To complete this Transaction you are required to send an upfront sum of $950.00 CAD meant for the Pick up fee to the Shipping Agent's Information given below via Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the Transaction Details which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, Inclusive of the MTCN [Money Transfer Control Number] , Sender's Name and Address used to process the transfer and the Receipt given to you. As soon as you provide these Information for Verification we will credit a Total Sum of $2,250.00 CAD to your PayPal account.

Agent's
Info:

First name: Yalin
Surname: Wang
Address: Jiangxi gongzi.jintai lu
City:Ji'an
State:Jiangxi
Zip:343900
China.

Address Status: Confirmed

Please, understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect both the Buyer and the Seller.We apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you.

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the MTCN is sent to us for verification, so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

Click Here to locate nearest Western Union Agent in your area or send money online.

Questions Please contact PayPal® on [email protected] concerning this Transaction.

Help Center | Safety Advice

[email protected]
PayPal

Please Note: As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section,and all inquiries should be directed back to this e-mail as it is the being monitored for this transaction.
This payment was issued to your account through our online payment service and monitored by our fund verification team.
Email: Questions? Go to the Help Center PayPal Customer Care at: [email protected].

PayPal Email ID PP307
Copyright© 1999-2015 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Canada) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in Canada as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP307
Submit the information received from Western Union for Verification and Accreditation of your PayPal account.

#270710 by AlanJones Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:42 am
At this point, the victim felt there was something dodgy and told the scammer that he did not use Western Union and to cancel the transaction

Dear XXX:

You are advised to get the transfer done as soon as possible so that there can be no further delay again and your account will be credited latest after 2 hours after you might have sent the MTCN to PayPal.

There is no way Webbtomson James can receive His money since it has already been deducted from His account and if you fail to comply with the instructions given to you by sending the over-charged money which has been deducted from the account of Webbtomson James,this might make you both loose the money you have with PayPal.Once you have transferred the required amount and you email the Western union details to PayPal,your account will then be credited in full without any further delay.

You are advised not to disclose the MTCN details to Webbtomson James until your account has been credited.

Thank You

Nothing confused here mate, am not new to paypal and have been into many services so i know how it's all works paypal will not allow me do any separate payment or cancel this transaction until this transaction is completed....all you need to do is to make the upfront payment of $950 via western union and get back to paypal the details which will be given to you at western union online or western union section at the post office....and paypal will definitely put the money through as per the e-mail they sent to me which i think is also similar to yours....pls advise positively to this so as to ease up the whole transaction...

Again please i make a mistake of pickup agent name,this is the name you will send the money too:
First name: Xiaojian
Surname: Tian

I understand how you may be feeling i don't want you to be confused here mate, am not new to PayPal procedures and have made several transactions via PayPal over the years so i know how it all works,You need to make the upfront payment of $950 via Western Union sent to the Given Address of the Agent and reply to PayPal with this details:
Your Full Name
Home Address
Phone Number
MTCN[Money Transfer Control Number]
Exact Amount Sent
The MTCN will be given to you at Western Union section at the post office this number will be used for Verification of the Money Transfer, PayPal will put your funds through as soon as the Western Union Information is Received and Verified by them as per the e-mail they sent me which i think should be similar to yours too..You are on a secure Transaction i have my name to protect and i deal on legitimate terms with only PayPal for my Online Transactions...I am a Verified Member Go to Western Union now and send the funds so as to complete the transaction and reply to PayPal
Thanks

#278295 by cris aikema Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:12 am
we have had some one attempt the same thing to us almost word for word. the scammers name is listed as Linda martin, and the "shippers" name I was to money gram to is Teresa Sharpe. thanks all for noting this scam
#278297 by Bryon Williams Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:16 am
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Can you please post the emails/text and email address/phone numbers the scammer used.

Others may search for this information and find your warning.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#279093 by LoryAnn Rineer Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:33 pm
I got a text from a person on my phone, from a bike I was selling in Pinellas County florida
This is what the text said from number 737-932-7097 Dec 18 9:48am

1993 Kawasaki vulcan 500 1,800 (Pinellas)
Hi, I'm Mike, If this is still available for sale,
Kindly send an email to James At [email protected]
and tell him about it asap as he's interested in this, his an miltary
man so am just helping him to search Thanks bye.

I test him back and said I sen him an email. Thank you

I thought at first was a local are code 727 but it was from 737
so I emailed the guy and this is what he sent. Dec 18 9:48am

to jamescarl606
Good Morning Jame,

A Friend of yours just emailed me. and asked me to send you this.

That you might be interested in . Iv'e enclosed the add, on Craigslist. and also
send you some attachments. of the pictures, if you can't open it.

Also a Military Man

Jay

I meant to say text but I said a friend of yours emailed me.
this is what he response was.

[email protected]
4:51 PM (23 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for your email,

First of all, My name is james carl! I'm in the United States Air Force (SMSgt E-8) and am not in town at the moment as am currently in base and stationed at Sheppard Air Force Base. Also, we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. Am purchasing this for my son as a Christmas present gift and he's not aware of this because am making it as a surprise gift. So can you assure me i won't be disappointed buying this from you ? I have a hauler carrier agent that will be coming for the pick up and i have a few questions for you about it.

Whats its condition, any damages?
Are you the original owner and why are you selling it ?
Does it has any mechanical issues ?
How many miles does it has?
Do you have the title in hand ?
Loan on the title?
Do you have a verified account with PayPal ?
Do you have any offer's yet ?

Looking forward to read back from you.

Then I emailed him this.

Jay
6:25 PM (22 hours ago)

to james
The Bike has 26K on it runs great, no mac. issues, is a nice bike as a starter if its for your son. Sorry no I dont have a paypal account.Yes do have a clear title for the bike.
and have had some offers.

My boyfriend new it was a scam so we just playing along with it. I was hopping it was real.
told him to let him know I have a paypal account. this is what we sent.

Jay
11:05 PM (17 hours ago)

to james
I checked with my girlfriend, she said I can use her PayPal acount

This is what he emailed back.

james carl
11:56 AM (4 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for getting back to me Jay,

I do appreciate the way you answered my questions!. I'm satisfied with it's condition and i believe i won't be disappointed. I want you to know am serious in purchasing it and am sure he's gonna love and enjoy it more than you did. Well it a very good idea to see what am buying my self but am a very busy type i have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment and sign all necessary documents transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the hauler agent on my behalf also i would love to assure you that the Bike wont leave your side until the money is in your account and clears i will be patient with you as am an honest man and a man of my word so once all this is done then we can now both schedule the pickup time and date.

I would have loved to send the pick up agent with the cash or cashier check but they don't deal with cash transaction between buyer and seller and i want you to know that PayPal is the best online payment and they protect their customer the both seller and buyer, So i will like to advice you that you should try to get PayPal account is very easy to setup visit www. paypal .com and get back to me with the email address you used to sign up for the account so that i can proceed with the payment as soon as possible.

I have not yet responded back but did call paypal. and they said I would be protected. but the money
would go threw right away to my account. We was worried about him stealing the bike, but know reading on
here, Im not sure what he is trying to pull. Jay can't open a pay pal anyways. What should I do. I wish
I could report him to someone. I'm glad I put his name in, and some how this site came up. with different
names then James Carl his new identity.
#279097 by Mike Wilson Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:22 pm
Hello,
He is not trying to steal your bike. He will send a spoofed email that looks like a PayPal email that is claiming the funds are on hold. As you have already discovered this in nonsense because PayPal does not act as an escrow service.
He will claim that you need to send money to his shipping company or some similar tactic before your funds are released by PayPal. He just wants to steal money from you and is hoping to complete the transaction before you discover the scam.
the best thing to do now is to stop all communication with this criminal. Ignore all emails and text messages and let him wonder what went wrong.
If you have any additional questions please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#300982 by Winteriscoming Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:11 am
Hi all ' Newbie here , I just want to let you know. Webbtomsonjames is still active withe the PayPal scam . Same message as everyone else , they want me to ship my ebike to the Yukon . First contact is a text then when you respond the emails start. I tried to call the text number ,itcameup as New Jersey , it rang twice and then cut off.
#307206 by XIIIMAFIA Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 pm
Hi , basictly i was selling a car on kijiji and the buyer contact me via SMS he say he his a militaty in duty and cannot make call , so i found that normal till he ask me my paypal information so i when on paypal and give him a link to send me money , until he ask me to register to western union , he send me a ( fake confirmation of the transaction via paypal ) this what the message say :This is to inform to you that we have received your payment of $2,200.00 CAD from ''Paul Maunsell'' for the Merchandise he bought from you and the money will only reflect in your account after you must have followed procedure.

You need to provide the MTCN#, Sender's Name and Address used to make the transfer of the $700.00 CAD to his Pickup Agent to complete this transaction. We Advise you to send the said amount meant for his pick up agent so that we can credit your account. Kindly provide the MTCN# so all procedures in checking the correctness of funds into your account can be completed. We are working with Western Union on this transaction.

The money has now been deducted from the buyer's account and is ready to be deposited into your PayPal® account. Please reply this email directly with the Information needed from you. While funds are pending, the money belongs to you but is not available to spend or withdraw.

This procedure is due to new policies at PayPal® to protect both the buyer and the seller and to erase the growing number of fraudulent activities perpetrated via the internet. When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in a pending balance for up to (10 Minute) to help make sure that there are funds in the seller's account to cover potential refunds or claims. The funds may be released early if PayPal determines that the transaction has been fulfilled and customers are satisfied.

Your payment is intact. You are advised to complete this transaction. If you have questions about this payment for your sold Merchandise or service, please contact PayPal by replying to this email directly.

Here at PayPal® you can be assured that your security and safety is our topmost concern.

We hope to read from you soon.

Thank you for using PayPal® !
The PayPal® Team

Dan Schulman
President
PayPal, Inc
VisaMasterCardDiscovereCheque

For Any Requires You Can Contact PayPal On: 1 (210) 200-7431 For More Information
PayPal Email ID PP307
Copyright© 1999-2016 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (CA) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United State of America as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056

Other mail from him or her
I have just completed the payment and i expected PayPal to have notified you to this effect check your mail olders (inbox,spam and junk mail) i sent $2,200 in all.i added $800 but $700 will be sent to my agent in China through Western Union at Wal-Mart,the extra $100 is to cover the Western Union fee. PayPal said they will not release the fund until you email them the Western Union details for verification,and also to enable my pick up agent to come for pick up and inspection.Here is the agent's details where the money will be sent.

Name: Shuyan Cui

Address: 18 Suhao Building
Nanxin Road
Nanshan District
Shenzhen China.

Please get the necessary details sent to PayPal (MTCN)and senders name and address used to send the $700 so that they can release the whole fund into your account.Please get back to me once done.

another mail : My apologies, I had this problem with the shipper agent, the shipper agent says that I will need to pay an upfront payment for the pick up before they can arrange a pick up time and register the merchandise for picking, they charged me $700 for picking up/home delivery.! I wish to inform you that I would be adding an extra $800 to the money am transferring into your PayPal account, which is for the charged pick up fee for the pick up company to register the merchandise for pick up. So now I will be sending the total amount of $2,200 so $700 to the agent via Western Union the remaining $100 is to cover Western Union charges. Okay?

he contact me via this mail paul maunsell [email protected]

XIIIMAFIA
#313298 by npennell Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:35 pm
Hey everyone I stumbled across this site when I felt the actions from my autotrader "buyer" seemed sketchy. They have moved to different platforms than just kijiji! Their name is Brittney Nelson, email is [email protected]. I am selling my parents van, and she emailed me three hours after I posted the ad, I didn't see the email because it ended up in my junk folder (which should have been the first red flag...). She sent this message:
Hi, I found your listing on autoTRADER.ca and would like to know more about the vehicle. Please send me more information about the 2007 Pontiac Montana SV6. Please text me the information directly to my email at [[email protected]] Thank you.

I had posted all the information I know about the van on the ad but i asked her what information she wanted. And she replied:
I'm satisfied with the posted pictures, and details provided how low can you go on the price ?

Even though she asked for more info, she didn't ask for anything... but I asked my dad how low he'd go, and I emailed her back the price. She said:
Oh that's good i think the price of $4500 is fair enough so just send me your paypal email so that i can make the payment.

I was kinda shocked that she is buying a car without even wanting to see it in person first :? But dumb me I gave her my email.
Alright, I will let you know as soon as I'm through with the payment so that we can arrange for pick up as soon as the payment is been confirmed in your account so you are to delete the AD since we have conclude for the payment thanks .

Then the next morning I got this email from
PayPal
Dear me ,

This email confirms that you have received an Instant payment of $5,550.00 CAD from Brittany Nelson ([email protected]) via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service.
Reversals : This method of payment cannot be reversed.

View the "NOTE" of this pending transaction below

Payment Details

Merchandise Amount: CAD $ 4,500.00
Transport Charges:

Money Gram:
Total:
CAD $ 950.00

CAD $ 100.00
CAD $ 5,550.00
Transaction ID:
1Q353850MY990893Z
Quantity:
MERCHANDISE Title:
Goods
Transport Company Name: "Move It" Company
"Move it Company" (Head Office) Money Gram Payment Address:

Receivers Name: Carool Leee Harmon
Address: 112 north 7th strt
State: Pennsylvania
City: Chambersburg
Zip code: 17201

Please note: Until payment is received before the moving agent nearest to your location in (Canada) will be assigned to Brittany Nelson.
The above sum includes the transport charges & tax as we and the Transport Company quoted for the buyer (as per PayPal MERCHANDISE PAYMENT POLICY). You will receive a Message from us shortly informing you on how to send the Transport Fee and Tax to the transport company.

Help Center | Security Center | Contact Us

Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, click on Contact Us at the bottom of any page

Copyright © 1999-2016 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved.

Consumer advisory: PayPal Pte Ltd, the Holder of the PayPal™ payment service stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

PayPal Email ID PP1478 - dfd19574cc8e3.

And she emailed me right after:
Good morning the payment has being made, please check your paypal email for the payment notification from paypal and get back to me asap.

After going on and checking my PayPal account and seeing that there was nothing on it about any payments I emailed her, since I'm new to using PayPal, asking what that email meant. And she sent me this:
I made a pending payment of $5,550 into your account and I added the movers fee for safe delivery of the item. So as advised by PayPal to make both parties secured doing the transaction, you are required to pay my moving agent coming for the pick up in your home address and also I cannot cancelled or reversed the transaction. So all you have to do now is to visit any nearest moneygram outlet which can be located at any post office or cash store, pick a form, fill the form with my moving agent information and make the payment of $950. You are to forward the moneygram receipt to PayPal by clicking on contact us on the notification of payment you received from PayPal for verification. After PayPal verifies the moneygram receipt, your account will be credited with your funds of $5,550. After you have been credited, my moving agent will come for the pick up. I would like this to be done asap so that my moving agent can come for the pick up as soon as possible after you have been credited. Thanks.

She never once mentioned a moving agent or anything telling me I had to pay them... So I emailed her back just now to see how far she is going to take this before I tell her the "deal" is off. Just wanted to let you all know about this. Thank god for this site telling me it was all a scam!
#313300 by Mike Wilson Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:46 pm
Hello,
It is best that you stop all contact with this criminal without telling them that you know it is a scam. Remember that they have your real contact information.
Just go silent by ignoring all emails and telephone calls. Leave them wondering what went wrong.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#316932 by Clueless Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm
Hello,
Just wanted to contribute to the public knowledge by providing some scammer's info.
The last post in this thread was from November 2016 so hopefully this isn't considered a necropost. Perhaps this scammer or method is making a resurgence.

Posted an ad on Kijiji concerning my motorcycle for sale. It's advertised in western Canada, and I got a message from a New York number:

+15162170704
Hello, can u pleae email me asap if your bike is still available , would luv to buy it asap thomas4jackson@ g m a i l . c 0 m

The area code made me suspicious as I had never seen it before and upon researching I learnt it is for New York numbers (516). Surely there are some nice motorcycles for sale on the east coast. I replied to his e-mail anyway:

Me
Hello,
The bike is still available.

Thomas Jackson
Hi, am happy to read from you, i know you must have had some people interested in it so i thought the best way to outbid them all is by giving you 800 extra on top the price you put on kijiji add, I will not be able to come for the inspection my self due to my present work location but i have a Pick-Up Agent who will contact you with when and where the pick-up will take place, but that will be after have completed the Payment my self. You don't have to look for any other buyer again because am willing to buy and pay for it right away and have it transported to my parents in Ontario, I just need to make sure its in a good condition as it is on the kijiji add and i hope you understand my point because there is no chance for me to come do the inspection my self but am happy with all the details as listed on kijiji. And is there any problem which you're yet to mention that i should know ?, if not please do remove the Add online till have made the Payment to you today

The whole message was dodgy. I googled "Kijiji Scam" and found this thread which confirmed my suspicions. Thank you to everyone for sharing your info. Further correspondence with "Thomas" has ceased.