Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#141348 by madukes44 Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 pm
Thanks for your response. I will be happy to buy it but i will not be able to come and view it in your place because I'm not at home right now. Note that you will not be responsible for shipping and handling and the payment will be made through PayPal. My shipping company will come to your location for the pick up. Kindly provide me with the address where it will be picked up so that i can forward it to the shipping company to calculate the cost of pick up for me. Do get back to me as soon as possible so that i can proceed with the payment via PayPal.

Elvis

After I told him no I will only accept cash, money order or cashier's check this was the response......

Best Regards.Why ? I can understand the way you feel but i want to assure you that there won't be any problem. I'm not in state presently, the item will not leave your sight not until the payment is clear and deposit into your PayPal account, that's why i want to hand over this transaction to PayPal and my Shipping Company so as soon as the payment has been made then my agent can come for the pick up the item so kindly get back to me with all necessary information.....Just get back to me with your full home address to calculate the pick fee, your PayPal email address and full name for the instant payment, about PayPal It's very easy and secured...just visit http://www.paypal.com and click on sign up, after that you will need to send me the name and email address you have used to registered with PayPal so I can make the payment ASAP. Thanks and get back to me asap so that i can send the payment today.

Best Regard.

I called my brother in law who worked in the PayPal fraud department and he said NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! Needless to say "Elvis" has left the building.

I forgot to mention the email was from [email protected]
Advertisement

#145227 by Lily_336 Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm
Same exact thing happened to me and I fell for it because I was new to PayPal and Craigslist.
His name was john turner and his agent was Dorothy smith email is [email protected].I lost $1,200 :?
#145244 by Aprilmob75 Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm
This is a response to a travel trailer I listed for sale on craigslist. I received This email as a second response from the buyer. Reported to paypal and gmail this afternoon.

Date: Jan 16, 2013 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: 2005 Coachman Cascade 26ft

Hello Seller,
      Thank for the quick response. I'm seriously interested in buying this for my son and I think that this is a fair asking price. Currently I am at sea right now ( I am a marine engineer for the navy)but I really want this as a surprise birthday gift for my Son.  I do not want to let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. First, I do have some basic questions. I would like to know why you are selling this item. Also, what is the condition of this item. Considering that I am currently at sea, I only have access to my paypal account to make payments because i don't have access to my bank account online because I cannot use internet banking on company computers. I have already accessed my paypal account and saw that I can make payments which is why I insisted on using PayPal to pay you. So if you could email
ume back with your PayPal email address, I can make the payment to your account today.  If you don't have a PayPal account, you can set one up at www.paypal.com, it should take no more than 3 minutes. Paypal is a reliable and secure website, which will protect both you and I when dealing with this business. I will be responsible for the payment fees/charges on this transaction. Don't worry about the shipping or the picking up of the item, because once you notify me, my agent will come and pick it up from you once I have made the payment to you. To make the payment, I will also need your full Name,address and phone number. I am looking forward to here back from you.
#145303 by keiserkj Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 am
Same thing just happened to me. Initial email asking about craigslist item was from [email protected]. After replying, email changed to Antonio Lambert <[email protected]>. Tried the whole "shipping company" route asking me to pay the extra $500 he sent to my paypal to the shipping company via western union. What a joke. I hope nobody is dumb enough to actually fall for this stuff!
#145467 by lizh Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm
I posted an ad for a Canon DSLR on Sunday. The following day I received an e-mail from a Mark Emmanuella wanting to buy it for his son who is out of the country and he needed to use PayPal.

The day after that I received an e-mail from a Captain Donald Travis:
Thank you for the quick response and I'm cool with the asking price. Well, my means of payment is via paypal as its the only secure way to transact on craigslist for now and i would want you to ship it to my workers at new york, i will pay for the shipping fee, willing to do this i will proceed with the payment process and will need you to send me a paypal invoice as soon as possible, you can as well text me on (321) 418 8248. Thank you

Too many scammers out there!
#145605 by jab414 Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm
Thank goodness for this forum and the information on Craigslist...Paypal scams.

I put an old car on Craiglist last night, and got this curious response:

"Thank you for getting back to me. Please assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my Dad, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon.

Send the paypal money request to [email protected]"

I thought there had to be something fishy....and thanks to you all for putting the information out there!