Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#213979 by Bryon Williams Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners CandyR,

I am happy to hear you avoided being scammed.

Paypal has nothing to do with this scam. There is no way they can stop it. The scammer is sending fake Paypal emails from a free email address pretending to be from Paypal. If you look at the email headers or email address it is not from Paypal. Your report to the BBB would be a wasted effort. The best thing you can do is report the scammer here and forward the fake Paypal email to Paypal ([email protected]).

To answer your question.
In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your "item". He wants to steal your money. No one will ever come to pick up the "item. It is all a scam with the scammer playing all roles.

The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#257143 by r_web23 Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 pm
it baffles me that "she" is still using the same basic email address. she contacted me TWICE on the same listing. really?? she is now using [email protected]. unfortunately, i can't figure out how to notify yahoo so they can deactivate this email address since i don't have a yahoo account. thankfully i think many people have been made aware of various scams so they can avoid getting swindled, but i hate to think that other unsuspecting and trusting people are sitting out there as easy targets while she continues using the SAME info. someone with yahoo want to report this one?

she's also texting from 1-845-842-7086
and 1-501-209-3282
#264230 by tydan2 Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 pm
08/18/15 THIS PERSON IS STILL AT IT. Thank you for this post. I'm just glad that I had the presence of mind to doubt that surprise for my son and I'm on an oil rig story....so sad. People must really fall for this if they're still at this TWO YEARS LATER.....WOW
#264232 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:56 pm
Was the email address the same?

Please post the emails sent to you in case the scammer changed some of his wording.

Pay it forward and help others.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#264335 by ROBONY Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:06 am
This animal emailed me about buying my car for her son and the email goes like this:

phone # 1660-4737394

Thanks so much for you mail, i am buying this for my Son and i am
a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to
be a surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about
this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than
happy with it.I can only pay with paypal here, i will need you to give
me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap and
please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set
up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up
i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with
paypal so as to put the money through.tell me more about the advert
price is okay note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as
soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to talk to you
on phone but i am a petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our
phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only
communicate with our base for now I will want you to please try to
tell me the very actual fault you think it has.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:
You phone number:

Thanks, Cheers.
#265630 by Progoft Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:19 pm
Hello,

Here is sarah again - she does not know what she wants to buy but is trying to buy it... she send me a text on my phone with this yahoo email and here is the result.
Many thanks to the community

sarah purccy

2:10 PM (1 hour ago) on 08.29.2015

to me
Thanks so much for you mail, i am buying this for my Son and i am
a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to
be a surprise gift for my Son so i wont let him know anything about
this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than
happy with it.I can only pay with paypal here, i will need you to give
me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap and
please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set
up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up
i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with
paypal so as to put the money through.tell me more about the advert
price is okay note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as
soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to talk to you
on phone but i am a petroleum engineer I work mainly offshore, our
phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only
communicate with our base for now I will want you to please try to
tell me the very actual fault you think it has.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:
You phone number:

Thanks, Cheers.
#273085 by jobrit1972 Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am
So This person emailed me in reference to a car I have on Ebay, but it came from [email protected]. I will be reporting this as fraudulent email to yahoo (not sure if they will do anything or not). This is very frustrating as I need to get this car sold and was so excited somebody contacted me. The email sounded strange, and didn't understand why she wasn't purchasing directly through Ebay, so I googled her email address and name, it brought me here! Thank you for having this site! You just saved me a headache and trouble" Here was the email exchange:

"On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:48 AM, sarah purccy <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello, pls get back to me with the full condition of this car with the final price, i am buying this for my personal use. i'll be looking forward to hear back from you. Sarah."

"On Friday, October 30, 2015 8:02 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Sarah, the car is in excellent shape. In fact I drove it this morning (I try to drive it at least once a week). Cosmetic wise there is a chip in the paint on the door, but it's not down to the metal so it's barely visible. There are also a few ripples in the crime surrounding the radio, but it's not ripped or torn. For background on the car, this was my elderly fathers vehicle. He leased the car for the first 4 years and refinanced to purchase this past June. Shortly after he had back to back strokes and I had to move him from San Antonio TX to Dallas TX so I could car from him. I wish I could keep the car, but because there is still a loan on it He cannot afford to pay his medical cost and this car payment. I'm only interested in paying the note, so that is why it's priced under retail value. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks -"

"Thanks so much for you mail, i am buying this for my personal use
and i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want
this to be a Christmas gift for my self . I can only pay with paypal here,
i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the
payments asap and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is
very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after
you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for
registration with paypal so as to put the money through.tell me
more about the advert price is okay note well: Pick up agent will
come for the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i
would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a petroleum
engineer I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig
right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with
our base for now .

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:
You phone number:

Thanks, Cheers"
#273098 by Mike Wilson Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:43 pm
Hello jobrit1972 and thanks for posting the information. Please do not report the email address because the scammer will create a new address in a few minutes and keep on running his scam. If he keeps using the same email address then information is easier to find with a google search on the email address..

Just ignore the scammer and move on. If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#287412 by smaz Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:40 pm
I got the same exact email from Sarah Purccy [email protected] in reference to a motorcycle i've listed on ebay.

Hello, pls get back to me with the full condition of this bike with the final price, am buying this for my personal use. i'll be looking forward to hear back from you.

Just minutes after I replied to her, she replied as follows:

Hello Seller Thanks for the mail, i am buying this bike for my personal use
and i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want
this to be a Christmas gift for my self . I can only pay with paypal here,
i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the
payments asap and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is
very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after
you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for
registration with paypal so as to put the money through.tell me
more about the advert price is okay note well: Pick up agent will
come for the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i
would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a petroleum
engineer I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig
right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate with
our base for now .

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup

Thanks, Cheers.

This was my reply to her 2nd email -
Hi,
I do have a paypal account. I have a question for you. Have you placed any bids yet? Since its an auction listing on eBay I'm not sure if I can end it before the end date or before the reserve is met since the bidding has started.
If you haven't bid yet, I suggest you make a bid. That way I can end the sale for you.

Its been an hour now since my reply and havent heard back from her yet. Her email sounded strange to me too and had the same doubts and hence googled her. What a scumbag!
#287414 by Tim Atem Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:30 pm
Thank you for posting. As you've figured out, it's a scam. Even if they did bid on your item, they could be using hijacked accounts to do it. It's best to never entertain anyone claiming to be "offshore" who wants to send a direct payment to your paypal account outside of eBay.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#287417 by smaz Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:43 pm
Tim Atem wrote:Thank you for posting. As you've figured out, it's a scam. Even if they did bid on your item, they could be using hijacked accounts to do it. It's best to never entertain anyone claiming to be "offshore" who wants to send a direct payment to your paypal account outside of eBay.

I agree. Thank you.
#294631 by Bryon Williams Thu May 12, 2016 8:40 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Thanks for the update.

I recommend you do not put your phone number/email address in your listing. It makes it easier for scammers.

Keep your messages within the listing site. Scammers do not like this because the listing site will see they are scammers and ban them. This is why scammers want you to immediately get off listing sites.