Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#142921 by saramena Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 pm
Hi,

please I need advice.
I'm trying to sell some stuff and I got an e-mail from [email protected] saying it would buy my stuff and pay me through paypal.

I then sent my paypal mail and after that I started to find wierd because in the next e-mail she said she sended me a lot more money to pay to the shipper via western union.

I told her I coudln't do that and that i haven't recieved any notification from paypal.

Next e-mails all say to check my email and spam for paypal notification. I did a google search and realised this was a scam, and told the person to cancel payment. It then asked me for another e-mail (probably to send the fake paypal notification) and I say i didn't have and everything was cancelled.

Please can you help me, is there something more I should do? Should I just ignore? What will happen next?
I just gave my paypal e-mail, no other info. Is there any problem for giving that mail adress?
Advertisement

#143001 by vonpaso xlura Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:00 pm
She can't cancel the payment because she made no payment. She sent you a fake email pretending to be from PayPal. Look at the headers and you'll see it is not from PayPal. Just ignore any further emails from the scammer.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#144934 by ggv Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 am
HI,
wrting from south Italy, just to say that after an ad on Ebay or Subito.it I've been contacted by [email protected] ti buy my car, prevously by text, then by mail. "she" has used exactly the same words quoted on other scam cases: "Ok just wanted to make sure nothing is been left out.
I will be purchasing this for €10,600,Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.In the meantime, can you send me more pictures (if available)?
Regards"
After my refusal, she has written: "I trust PayPal more,they are the biggest financial institution online,
but i am sorry i can only get to pay you with PayPal. It is easy to get an account, just go to www.paypal.com, all they need from you is a valid credit card or bank account Regards,Mary"
Beware!
#144941 by TerranceBoyce Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 am
The scammers have varying angles to try and scam money from you, and one current popular one is to pretend to send you more money than you ask for. At that stage you can tell them to go away and stop wasting your time. As wonderful as that might appear, it doesn't happen in the real world and will be the start of a bizarre transaction where the intent is for them to get you to send them money initially and then you'll hear nothing more after they've sent you worthless poorly spoofed messages from PayPal.

Their tactic is to mess you about and make you remove the advert so that you are more deeply invested in wanting the deal to go through, in spite of any concerns you have.

People don't pay more for goods than the list price and there is no sales system where the seller has to pay the buyer in advance of receiving payment.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle